The Princess of Sylph - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - Tuberose (1)

Group Leader
We're finally reaching the spicy flowers.

Tuberose has a long association with sex. In multiple cultures, women were warned against smelling it for fear it would give them forbidden desires - another connection when Sara comments how nice Tania smells. And there is a chemical reasoning behind it: Tuberose's scent contains the compound indole, which we also produce in small concentrations from the skin, especially around the groin, and intensifies with sweat. It's a common ingredient in sensual perfumes and considered an aphrodisiac.

It's hard to pace out the meanings when I don't know how long this arc will be, but suffice to say, Tuberose has a whole theme of carnal temptations. Kamejiro did say things would be getting more yuri soon.

Another bit of trivia(?): Tuberose(チューベローズ) is almost an anagram of ベロチュー, or French/tongue kissing.

As the credits said, Tania is an alias meaning, unsurprisingly, princess. Her title in the old version was Lizard Princess, which is reflected in her reptilian irises.

There's a lot of room to speculate Tania's background. Of course she has an identity to hide, and I'd be shocked if she's not a child of spirits simply to match Natalia and Snake Princess. So maybe she is the rightful heir to the throne on the run in an attempt to take it back, or maybe she was disowned.

If that is the case, with homosexuality outlawed where she's from and children of spirits dying out, you can imagine there would have been extra pressure for her to continue the bloodline. And why she might take drastic measures to secure her home again. I don't think we've seen a clear sight of the real Tania yet, but it's worth noting the abrupt shift in fonts between her plans to overthrow the kingdom so she can get a harem and balling a fist as she explains homosexuality was punished by death. There's a bitterness behind her flirty persona.

On the bright side, if she needs to explain homosexuality is illegal back home, that means this probably isn't true everywhere. After all, the scandal isn't that a woman is seducing the princess, but a nun.

I'm trying to stick with Kamejiro's English, and there's usually no problems there, but it does make things awkward when Natalia's explicitly referred to as a "King" and a "Princess" in the same chapter. I generally opt for the more gender neutral "Lord". Likewise, "bitch" is probably a direct translation of the loanword ビッチ which is more akin to "slut" or "whore" in practice.

Also while Enna Chandelier might sound a bit like Jane Bookcase or Joe Pickup, Chandelier is a normal French surname.

Natalia's little wall checklist says "Recovery: Pistow(Pistil), Petal, Sepal", the 3 districts of Ventfleur. This should sound familiar if you read the old twitter version, and you could indeed see the 3 distinct districts at the start of chapter 12.

Given the more formal Your Royal Highness/皇女殿下, the ending scene likely takes place in the Pistil district? The three seemed stratified based on class, with Sepal being the lower quarter, Petal the middle, and Pistil being the most central and nearest to the castle. Which makes sense given the anatomy of a flower. Natalia's visit in chapter 2 took place in the Sepal district, where many were calling Natalia plain Princess instead of Her Highness.

It also stands to reason the walls are strongest in the most central area and weakest on the edges. Bad news Sepal.

Kamejiro has confirmed this is a detour that wasn't in the original twitter version, but we are still following the plot. I'm interested to see what effect Fire Princess will have, but Sara's reputation should also have ramifications on gathering faith around Ventfleur later. The distinctions between the 3 districts was only lightly touched on in the original.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation!

I was expecting Fire Princess to be much more antagonistic for some reason... I guess her appearance last chapter did make her look like one of the baddies, but I guess we'll see what she's willing to do for her goals. For now, I like her enough to cheer on her quest to be legally gay.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation!

I was expecting Fire Princess to be much more antagonistic for some reason... I guess her appearance last chapter did make her look like one of the baddies, but I guess we'll see what she's willing to do for her goals. For now, I like her enough to cheer on her quest to be legally gay.
She seems more like chaotic good, if we can call it that. A lot of fun, not always in your favor but never a real enemy. And a shameless flirt, though our girl is having none of it.

Dex-chan lover
Sara not having any of Tania's flirting attempts because she's also a massive flirt is a mood.

I recently read the original Twitter version and I got to say my memory of past chapters got pretty jumbled trying to piece together where we are in the story. But is safe to say we are not even in the central conflict yet. Hopefully it isn't as devastating this time

edit: Apparently my mind was so jumbled I missed an "h" in where

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread