The Ragweed Princess from the Empire of Livitium - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
so what is supposed to be the justification for her being disliked this time? If you ask me, she looks like a cute kid.
As Princess, implication sounds like she was spoiled rotten so she had a horrible personality, and was overweight to the point people found her unsightly.

Now as an apprentice, she probably has ingrained confidence issues.

Dex-chan lover
so what is supposed to be the justification for her being disliked this time? If you ask me, she looks like a cute kid.
I think the queen consort who arranged the 'accident' simply just used the ugly aspect as a pretext to dispose of her, to pave the way for her own children to the throne. Ie, I'll eat my hat if that consort turns out to be her real mother....

Dex-chan lover
Oh i recognize this artist right away. Even if the story is meh i guess ill still keep an eye on this manga

Dex-chan lover
BGeT7sy.png

cue the skyrim copy pasta
i'm too lazy to make an edit for this one

Supporter
why does this read like someone throws every single idea they have in a pot and never did try to think about the result, like now matter how much explaining you do nothing in the chapter is holding, like why isekai, why GB, why mixed memory, it could be cool if think through, like having someone memory grafted to you is probably an experience a little more thought provoking than that lol, or being throws in someone else body and starting to fuse with them... whelp I am wasting my time thinking about that but still

Dex-chan lover
She's also the fifth daughter of her noble family so killing her off/vilifying her to reduce the heir competitors seems to be the general idea.

Dex-chan lover
Damn. The manga really speed ran the start of the series. I completely get why they would do this (skip the "boring" parts and get to the "interesting" ones).

But in the process, they really kinda butchered the initial setting and characterization.

It's kinda like if Iron man decided to go from playboy stark to "I am Iron Man" in the first 15 minutes of the movie. Skipping over how stark was humbled and he came to stop selling weapons of war.

Jill was an extremely spoiled, haughty, and extremely unhealthy(morbidly obese) girl. Not unlike that one girl who became a blueberry in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. To the point Regina when she found her concluded she had died due to clogged arteries, a completely reasonable assumption.

Meanwhile Regina is a cantankerous, rough, grumpy old woman, and one of the best parts of the series is her interactions with MC and others. Where here it is largely watered down(generally she should have a scowl plastered across her face).

All of this leads to Jill developing a bit of a complex(since Regina typically speaks harshly, not explaining her true intent) as well as due to where Jill came from.(Not entirely dissimilar to how anorexic people, even after becoming skin and bones still think they are fat, or self depreciating people look down on themselves)

Not excessively, but enough that Jill interprets reactions to seeing her face through that lens and reinforces that mentality. People are stunned by her incredible features, Regina wants her to hide her appearance, she interprets she is still ugly.

Anyways, this is just the first chapter. Things can go much better or worse from here in the adaptation. The wn translation isn't super far along, so it isn't clear where things will end up, but it has been enjoyable. Hopefully the manga can find a way to adapt seeing the world through Jill's eyes/thoughts(which is a major part of the wn storytelling) in a balanced way.

Anyways the translation was great and I look forward to how this continues.

Group Leader
Damn. The manga really speed ran the start of the series. I completely get why they would do this (skip the "boring" parts and get to the "interesting" ones).

Yeah, it's a shame.

We lose out on so much detail like her magic types, how she inherited them, the training she did as "chores," etc...

They boiled it down to a single page. I enjoyed reading at the WN's pace, and I hope that if they adapt this into an anime (even if unlikely), they'd use the novel as the basis.

I know I'm silly for this, but I oddly prefer "tsundeRegina." Just not a fan of verbal/emotional abuse is all, even when properly characterized. ^. ^;

Anyways the translation was great and I look forward to how this continues.

Lastly, thanks for the compliment!

Dex-chan lover
They boiled it down to a single page. I enjoyed reading at the WN's pace, and I hope that if they adapt this into an anime (even if unlikely), they'd use the novel as the basis.
just to point this out, this isn't really a thing that people need to worry about. WN->LN may get a lot of edits/changes but it's publishing rather than an adaption (condensing and transferring to a new medium). So, you wouldn't use the condensed version to condense it to a new, third medium, you would just use the larger original and pick and choose what to show for that in the third medium. The only time something similar might happen is cases where it's originally a more detail sparse medium like manga and afterwards the author writes a novel with extra details and THEN there is an anime.

TL;DR you never adapt from something that's already cutting shit out.

Dex-chan lover
Reading felt like a different story with the same plot... though jill is cute and i will stay to see more of her.

Users who are viewing this thread