The Red Button

Dex-chan lover
You have a red button.

If you press it, you instantly teleport to a subspace with the next 100 chapters of one manga you choose (or until the manga ends, whichever is sooner). There is nothing else in this subspace. No clothes, no walls, no waifus, just an endless white horizon at exactly 25 degrees celsius. You don't have any thrist, hunger or tiredness.

You must read each chapter chronologically. After you finish each chapter, they disappear until you read the last chapter.

When you finish every chapter, you will return to your initial location but all your 4 limbs (unless you are an amputee) and voice box will be paralyzed for the X amount days = equal to the chapters you read.

Do you press the button? Which manga do you choose?

Dex-chan lover
Isn't there usually some sort of incentive to these sort of scenarios? This is just pressing a button to receive a punishment.

The only benefit is I assume that you cannot die or age within the subspace. You can press the button on your deathbed, stay in subspace contemplating your life and the universe until you accept your fate and go back to reality. Or, if the mechanics allow it, use it as a hyperbolic time chamber to get ripped, but at the cost of some days-worth of paralysis.

Either way, a oneshot is the way to go. Give me a shitty one as an incentive to stay in Limbo longer.

Dex-chan lover
I choose the manga that only updates once a year. Author is human, he'll live at best some hundred years, but he won't be making that comic for 100 years. At best I'm stuck paralyzed for a few months, long enough to rest but short enough that I don't atrophy into oblivion.

Dex-chan lover
The next 100 chapters of berserk or kingdom and it's only gonna cost me 100 days of paralysis sign me up chief. Also I don't know if 25 degrees Celsius is supposed to be insufferable but in from the looks of it in freedom units its room temperature let me know if I'm wrong.

Dex-chan lover
Eh... it's 77 degrees F(reedom), which I would consider a bit warm. Jesus and guns prefer a steady 68 [that's 20 degrees C(ommie)]. Thankfully we have enough cheap dead dino flammables here in 'Murica-land to keep the global warming at bay.

Dex-chan lover
Isn't there usually some sort of incentive to these sort of scenarios? This is just pressing a button to receive a punishment.

The only benefit is I assume that you cannot die or age within the subspace. You can press the button on your deathbed, stay in subspace contemplating your life and the universe until you accept your fate and go back to reality. Or, if the mechanics allow it, use it as a hyperbolic time chamber to get ripped, but at the cost of some days-worth of paralysis.

Either way, a oneshot is the way to go. Give me a shitty one as an incentive to stay in Limbo longer.
You get an upfront payment of 100 chapters (or less) of manga

N2O

Dex-chan lover
You have a red button.

If you press it, you instantly teleport to a subspace with the next 100 chapters of one manga you choose (or until the manga ends, whichever is sooner). There is nothing else in this subspace. No clothes, no walls, no waifus, just an endless white horizon at exactly 25 degrees celsius. You don't have any thrist, hunger or tiredness.

You must read each chapter chronologically. After you finish each chapter, they disappear until you read the last chapter.

When you finish every chapter, you will return to your initial location but all your 4 limbs (unless you are an amputee) and voice box will be paralyzed for the X amount days = equal to the chapters you read.

Can I tell people beforehand so they have an open mouth gag + aphrodisiacs ready for when I come back as a mute quadriplegic?

Dex-chan lover
You have a red button.

A question: Do I age in subspace?

The no "thirst, hunger or tiredness" rule suggests that subspace holds most human biological processes in a state of active suspension. But I'd like to be sure before answering. (Would also like to know if I can take a watch and whether/how it would work in subspace.)

I ask about aging because, so far as I can see, there's nothing in the rules limiting the duration of the subspace reading room or dictating the speed at which the manga should be read. The cost of pushing the jolly red candy-like button, meanwhile, is fixed at 0-100 days of paralysis on return.

With the above in mind, it occurs to me that I'd need two things to test the hypothetical's benefit limit:
1) a completed manga that hasn't yet published its final issue(s), and...​
2) a strategy for enduring & making productive use of long-term subspace confinement.​
For instance, if I were terminally ill and the progress of age/disease really were suspended in the reading room, then I could postpone death indefinitely by vegetating in subspace with the final issue(s) as my escape route.

Since that sounds, I admit, like a Black Mirror bad end waiting to happen, I might prefer to think small & reduce risk. Depending on my life situation, even a relatively short period of think, down or vanish time might justify one or two lost days at the other end. (This is where a watch tracking terrestrial time would come in handy.)

But just for the unpublished issues? Probably not. Not unless I could figure out a reliable way to make $$$ off the advance knowledge. My reading list already looks infinite in the here & now.

Dex-chan lover
@beep_repair
No aging, the state you head in is the state you stay...although if we get into details it will cause a lot of problems. If you were stabbed and bleeding out, by stated rules you would not feel the effects of the bleeding out but without enough blood your muscles cant contract/relax effectively.

If I had supposed that it was just your spiritual body/consciousness that might work but then thats kinda of tame and boring.

If we ignore the manga only restriction:

I guess for the terminally ill, you could technically hope that if you choose a medical journal, that somewhere in the next 100 chapters of the future someone found the cure for your disease but even so you would have to remember what the article stated perfectly for 100 days (or less) and repeat it to your medical staff who may not have the ability to put your miracle drug/procedure into reality. Besides usually medical journals don't have specifics because of fear of copy-cat productions.

You could also ask for the next 100 chapters of gambling results. But alas there is a manga only restriction. Best you could do is make bets with the fandom on how the story progresses and make money or dares that way

You can technically sage yourself with unlimited thinking time but without any stimulation or writing tools (I guess you can rip up the book pages as a tool) it'll be difficult to make use of the sub-space time.

Dex-chan lover
Imagining the heartbreak that this situation could create

Be me
Push some button so I can read ahead in this manga I like, some drawback about paralysis but not like I need my limbs anyway
Reading manga, really good stuff
At chapter 16, click onto 17
Doesn't change, huh
Read the translators notes (normally skip them)
"Sadly, Mangaka for this has died in a car crash, we are all deeply sorrowful for this loss"
Oh

Dex-chan lover
Considering I’m a pretty fast reader,(if I’m committed I could finish a 500 pg chapter book in like a week or 2)
And also considering that it doesn’t look like there are any severe downsides, I’d press it.
Monster Musume.
I just want to see the end result.

Users who are viewing this thread