The Reincarnation of the Strongest Exorcist in Another World - Vol. 7 Ch. 27

Dex-chan lover
Wut... With that wishy-washy "background story" that was dumped on us, in an attempt to "humanise" this particular set of fanatics bent on wholesale murder just to "draw out" their "Enemy"?

The author would served the story much better by portraying them as the straight up bastards they are.
It's almost as if he's personally apologetic to write up/think up any actual villains with a clear purpose.
Wouldn't have made one shred of difference for the "reveal" that the MC is classed as a Demon Lord.
The author wants to portray the fight between humans and demons as more of a faction war than a standard "good vs evil" war.

How I see it is that he fails spectacularly because these characters are either inconsistent (the ogre that "doesn't kill children" but is sent to commit a massacre in a school) or plainly antipathic (the teleporting demon who doesn't care about his dead brother and is more concerned about appealing to his hierarchy)... or both (the rabbit tamer who sees taming as "making friends", but casually feeds his newest "friend" to his previous ones). Maybe not outright inhumane, but not relatable either.

Dex-chan lover
So the sceptical elf that was with the dumb prince wasn't wrong, he is indeed the demon lord.

Dex-chan lover
Wut... With that wishy-washy "background story" that was dumped on us, in an attempt to "humanise" this particular set of fanatics bent on wholesale murder just to "draw out" their "Enemy"?

The author would served the story much better by portraying them as the straight up bastards they are.
It's almost as if he's personally apologetic to write up/think up any actual villains with a clear purpose.
Wouldn't have made one shred of difference for the "reveal" that the MC is classed as a Demon Lord.
Not just because of that. Also because they just got fucking ANNIHILATED. You always feel a little bad for the underdogs in hopeless situations, you know? As for the backstory? Eh, take it or leave it.

Dex-chan lover
I don't need to feel bad about enemies but this chapter made me do so god dammit.

Dex-chan lover
Well, they were evil babies, so it's fine.

Nah, they got a quick death. That's about what they deserved, so nothing to feel bad about.

It happens from time to time. Most of the time it's about cooperating and throwing this demons vs humans shit away to create their own fates.
okay but how many times do they actually make the demon lord and not the Hero do it

Dex-chan lover
okay but how many times do they actually make the demon lord and not the Hero do it
The hero is usually stronger, because the hero needs to be able to beat the demon lord, so it's more common, but the other way around also happens.

I think the author actually succeeded in making these villains interesting. Sympathetic is a stretch.

It's a shame that they all died here. Their leaders misunderstood their security interest. Among MC's yokai, we see some could pass as demons, like that snake that hated humans. If the demons had seen that MC was the demon lord before starting this terrorist, assassination plot, they might have served him and found a path to peace.

Instead, they believed the only path to survival rested on killing the hero in her youth. The most effective way to find the hero would be killing her classmates to draw her out.

Executing that kind of plan required an ethically flexible team. The author presented that in members willing to kill innocent children for the good of their comrades and kin. In their world, that might have offered the greatest good for the greatest number of demons. But in attacking the school, they made the demon king their enemy, a fatal miscalculation.

The author also showed they were mission-focused and loyal, displaying a coherent morality. They did not hesitate to risk death for each other. But, like the runner, hesitated to sacrifice each other for personal survival. Their leader even sought to make their service meaningful. There are modern militaries that display less internal morality than this demon group.

Overall, I appreciate how the author did not make evil relative in this story. The author created villains with depth (e.g. MC's brother). I felt like slaughtering these demons was tragic, even as it brought relief when MC saved his friends in the process.

Dex-chan lover
Sad, from the guy being on the cover I was hoping their group'd either stick around as villains longer, or they would become underlings in some kind of "we do the shady stuff for Seika" fashion. Oh well.

Dex-chan lover
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WTF BRO THE MOMENT I READ SEIKA'S RACE, IT GAVE ME A FUCKING GOOSEBUMPS GYAAAAAAAAAAATTDAMN

i thought mc gonna save them, i'm glad things didn't go as expected but i'm disappointed that he didn't get information out of these guys first, maybe we can solve it together

Users who are viewing this thread