The Republic of China's Detective

This looks interesting! I'm always here for manhua that aren't in the wuxia, etc. genres or isekai, so...

Keep in mind, the setting is in 1914. Basically, this was just after the Republic of China (the successor state of the Qing Empire and the predecessor of the People's Republic of China) was declared. The PRC didn't take over mainland China until 1947.

Meanwhile, WW1 is already underway, I think.

wow just the setting alone is pretty unique for manhua. no shitty modern day cultivation or stereotypical wuxia.

Dex-chan lover
wait what? is this getting released on china? does it? the title on english is just that thought provoking so...

Not Taiwan.
The Republic of China gov moved to Taiwan after the PRC took over after WWII.

In this story, it's basically China, but in the period when it was still governed by the previous gov regime.
(Otherwise doesn't make sense that the country of origin is China)

Fed-Kun's army
How is this allowed in China? Holy F. i mean, sure, it's technically the history of China but China usually didn't like anything associated with Taiwan. For example how they throw hate to Hololive member just because they read youtube statistics that has "Taiwan" written as a country.

Group Leader
@DragonRider45
Pardon my vulgarization
1) in both china the founder of republic of china Sun Yat-sen is heavily praised and Chinese history is taught
2) The two china situation is complex, the majority consider part of china in the ROP there a vocal faction that want to be recognize as Tawain that's founded by wealthy businessmans and USA
3) in the case of Hololive the situation is a complex one and many peoples (in both china) are offended by listing Taiwan as independent country but they are more offend by the fact that youtube and Hololive leach there income by 40%

for more info about what happen in Chinese side https://youtu.be/ttPEaNnGhrc

Fed-Kun's army
Saw the rating, 1s everywhere. Thought there was a real problem with it?

I'll read it myself and use my own opinion. It's probably good.

@dragonrider45
In Taiwan there are two political parties, usually referred to as the blues and greens. The blues are the KMT and their political allies, essentially what the ROC’s military dictatorship transformed into once liberalization and democratization began. They are pro unification and promote friendly relations with the mainland to this end.

The greens, consisting of the democratic progressive party and associated allies, are made up of the political elements that the KMT dictatorship suppressed. They are pro independence and do not view Taiwan as a ‘Chinese country’. They promote a Taiwan that is founded more on Japanese/Hakka (as opposed to the emigre Han who came over with Chiang) identity and currently control the presidency.

The KMT is thus still viewed pretty favorably in the mainland, especially during the period they fought the Japanese (for obvious reasons). Many mainlanders consider the KMT ‘betrayed’ by the third president who was a former IJA officer that essentially destroyed the military dictatorship (if you want to know more google ‘the white terror’) and allowed the greens to enter politics. As an example recently a movie about the heroic last stand of a KMT garrison in Shanghai against the Imperial Japanese Army became a blockbuster hit in mainland theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread