The Saga of Tanya the Evil - Vol. 24 Ch. 71 - Scorched Autumn I

Supporter
There is a reason that training is first on the list for a professional army.

Sending the navy into a known wolf pack... crazy times. But I suppose we did send bombers over Germany with the idea we could build more bombers then they could shoot down.

Dex-chan lover
There is a reason that training is first on the list for a professional army.

Sending the navy into a known wolf pack... crazy times. But I suppose we did send bombers over Germany with the idea we could build more bombers then they could shoot down.
Not really. The goal was to completely eliminate German's means of productions (factories, dams, etc.), or at least significantly slowing down the production of armaments -- including anti-aircraft guns and fighters to create a downward spiral for Germany, that they could no longer keep up with replacing all their losses and thus lower losses for allies. In reality though, due to lack of accuracy, many bombs missed their targets and thus the impact on production was not as high as it was expected to be.

Sending the navy into a known wolf pack is, to put it bluntly, stupid, unless they expect to be able to eliminate the wolf pack.

Dex-chan lover
pkvubp.png

Dex-chan lover
Damnit, I really really like this Manga but there are a whole bunch of 1870’s-1940’s RL politics, decisions, alliances, and tech that are portrayed so wrong it’s literally painful to read at times.

I know the battles and events each chapter portray very well (this one is obviously the prelude to the Torch landings) but the events that lead up to it make absolutely no sense. Torch was done to gain a foothold to start the invasion of Italy who aren’t involved in this conflict. And all that was done as a reason to take pressure off the Soviet front who are also not involved. However if for some reason the alliance between the FFR, UK and US decided it was required for some reason why would the Germans only send 3 divisions? Or if they only had 3 divisions to spare why the hell wouldn’t they pull them back to mainland Europe and let the allies have Africa? There are no strategic resources (that are known at that time at least) in the vast majority of the Sahara, and if for some reason they wanted to keep a foothold, Alexandria and the Suez Canal would be so much easier to defend and supply than a massive force covering hundreds of kilometres and being at the extreme range of supply.

And each chapter has these little niggling details that make you ask WTF. But I’ll keep reading because even with the WTF moments the art is beautiful, the storyline of Tanya herself and her Battalion is interesting, and her way of always getting the opposite of what she wants is funny. But FFS the cognitive dissonance hurts.

Dex-chan lover
Lomer? Is that the legally distinct name for Rommel? No wonder the TLs didn’t pick it up initially. It sounds silly, keep it as is.

Dex-chan lover
Damnit, I really really like this Manga but there are a whole bunch of 1870’s-1940’s RL politics, decisions, alliances, and tech that are portrayed so wrong it’s literally painful to read at times.

I know the battles and events each chapter portray very well (this one is obviously the prelude to the Torch landings) but the events that lead up to it make absolutely no sense. Torch was done to gain a foothold to start the invasion of Italy who aren’t involved in this conflict. And all that was done as a reason to take pressure off the Soviet front who are also not involved. However if for some reason the alliance between the FFR, UK and US decided it was required for some reason why would the Germans only send 3 divisions? Or if they only had 3 divisions to spare why the hell wouldn’t they pull them back to mainland Europe and let the allies have Africa? There are no strategic resources (that are known at that time at least) in the vast majority of the Sahara, and if for some reason they wanted to keep a foothold, Alexandria and the Suez Canal would be so much easier to defend and supply than a massive force covering hundreds of kilometres and being at the extreme range of supply.

And each chapter has these little niggling details that make you ask WTF. But I’ll keep reading because even with the WTF moments the art is beautiful, the storyline of Tanya herself and her Battalion is interesting, and her way of always getting the opposite of what she wants is funny. But FFS the cognitive dissonance hurts.

yes, leaving Africa be is an option, but their victory against French would then incomplete. and with French army still reeling from utter defeat in Europe, small force might be all that's needed to deal the finishing blow. it doesn't seems to be the case here, thus we could safely conclude the Empire lose their bet in here.

so to conclude: why is the Empire in Africa? possibly to dealt finishing blow to the remnants of French army. why only 3 division? either that's all the Empire could spare, or Empire think that's all it takes to destroy French army. or maybe both.

Anyone know what volume of the LN's this is- I really want to catch up starting from here if possible >..>

Dex-chan lover
However if for some reason the alliance between the FFR, UK and US decided it was required for some reason why would the Germans only send 3 divisions? Or if they only had 3 divisions to spare why the hell wouldn’t they pull them back to mainland Europe and let the allies have Africa? There are no strategic resources (that are known at that time at least) in the vast majority of the Sahara, and if for some reason they wanted to keep a foothold, Alexandria and the Suez Canal would be so much easier to defend and supply than a massive force covering hundreds of kilometres and being at the extreme range of supply.
I'm not familiar with the tactical details of WW II history, but the scenario in Youjo Senki is this: Officially, the Empire is currently only at war with the Free Francois Republic (which is situated in Africa, where its colonies are), whereas all the other major powers like Albion and the Unified States are only fighting a proxy war. The Empire is aiming to defeat Lugo and his Republic such that this war ends before it officially becomes a world war. We know this strategy will fail, since the plot has been pushing towards this world war from the start (including via outright divine intervention), but what's the Empire's alternative?

Users who are viewing this thread