The Skeleton Soldier Failed to Defend the Dungeon - Vol. 2 Ch. 77

Dex-chan lover
If you'd like, I can try to help you with proofreading. If you have a discord or something, I think I might be able to help.

Double-page supporter
I have no idea why you all have the "well at least he tried" mentality.

If someone is doing something badly, just tell them that, people won't improve if all they get is praise and encouragement. If they want to be good at translating, they need criticism, unless they aren't that serious about their work anyways.

I'll be frank and say it's unreadable, 5 panels in and I got to the point of doubting this was even English.

. . . . Well, it gets more readable later on. The problem is a lot of phrases are directly translated so you get a "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" difficulties.

Dex-chan lover
Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect My Head From Migraine due to the very dodgy translations🤢

@Sharpedgs With arms wide open... at least an attempt was made.

Thanks for the chapter It was rough, but the general jist was conveyed at least.

Dex-chan lover
sorry but i cant read past the 5th panel. this is too horrible for my brain's sanity

Dex-chan lover
@saito197

Well you won't ever get better if you never try.
I agree that the translation is terrible, but the fact he did try too anyway and uploaded it is still commendable.
It still get the general idea across, but only just....
And if you cant stand the poor translation you can just skip it until somebody who is better at translating comes along and translate it.
Or better yet, do it yourself if you know the language.

@VDos TL;DR Typesetting and Editing were fine, translations were bad. Get familiar with Korean writing an hour a day for a month or so, find a dictionary website where you can translate individual words, then translate each word individually in a sentence, then rearrange/interpret the translation to a reasonable phrase and run by someone else for quality assurance. 2x the improvement minimum if you do all that.

You did a decent attempt, the typesetting and editing was good, it's your translations that have a lot to improve on. You got simple phrases and ideas across, but some stuff clearly did not translate properly and this is just the extent of google translate. Translating is hard work if you don't already know the language, it takes time and you can easily mess up. I've tried translating Japanese before taking 2 semesters of it and it was hard and turned out awful, and even just 2 semesters made the process way faster and more accurate.

If you want to try your hand at it again, try doing some online classes of Korean. Get familiar with their writing system and get good at identifying it, then find a dictionary website that can help you translate each word. Just by translating each word into English makes it way easier to understand, even if the word order ends up jumbled around. I promise that if you spend like an hour a day for a month learning the basics, you will improve significantly and you would be able to do two times better than this one in half the time.

In the mean time, offer to join a team as a typesetter if you want to stay busy and/or read stuff early. Either way, you can definitely improve if you just put in a little amount of time in daily.

Contributor
I really had no idea what I just read. This actually needs to be redone properly otherwise it's a hole in the plot for most english readers.

Users who are viewing this thread