The Skinny Girl and the Chubby Boy

Enc

This is like if you took the word "wholesomeness" and made ink out of it and then started to draw.

Fed-Kun's army
I'm going to join in with the other users who were rolling on the floor at the alt. titles, The Lanky Girl and the Thicc Boi and The Sticc Girl and the Thicc Boi.

LMFAO!!!

after 4 months it felt natural to pick it up again, didn't even know how much I missed it 😁😁😁

I'm not Italian, although my father and I both grew up in Italian American neighborhoods, and like Uzaka said, "I've never seen such accurate depictions of Italians." I have to agree. I have known Italian Americans who were jerks, just as I've met jerks from nearly every ethnic group the world has yet come up with, but I would say that most of the Italians I have met are extremely warm-hearted and very demonstrative. A favourite memory of my youth in Pittsburg, California, is of Mama Giuliano, who was well over 90 years old and spoke nearly no English, insisting on making me shoe boxes full of the most incredible Italian cookies while I was off at college. Every time I met her, I ended up with lipstick marks all over my cheek! Some people find that demonstrative behaviour embarrassing, but having grown up with it (although I'm a combination of Welsh and German American) I've come to the conclusion that very demonstrative and affectionate family groups seem to be more healthy as they have less repressions and hidden agendas in their behaviour. Unlike many of my Anglo-Saxon brethren, when a family member is acting up, the Italian American reaction is (stereotype coming up) "utsa matta fo you," when the Anglo-Saxon reaction is often "I'll pretend nothing is wrong and then, hopefully, so-and-so's bad temper will blow over". Of course, this is my own reaction, and anecdotal evidence is not evidence in the purest sense of the word, but I feel that way from my experience, and will always feel that less reticence within families is a great thing.

Another point: Perhaps it's not always the case, but I read some time ago, an article about Japanese war brides experiences in America after WWII. Many of them were quite unpleasant (and disgusting, in my opinion), but one exception stood out in my mind. The Japanese girl married an Italian American GI from New Jersey. When she came to the states to meet her new family, she wore her best kimono. She was initially kind of shocked when Mother and Father-in-Law, and all the brothers and sisters gave her the big hug. They then planned a huge second wedding ceremony with all the extended family and friends, and the women in the family wanted to wear kimonos, and wanted her to teach them to make Japanese food for the reception, as well as having Italian food. The war bride was interviewed for the article not that many years ago. She was still married to her GI, and counted herself (and her children and grandchildren) as Italian-Japanese-American. Those are the Italian-Americans that I have known.

Double-page supporter
The pacing is weird, but this manga is still pretty good. Just read it without thinking too much I guess

This is the cute and fluffy manga you come to after reading something dark and depressing.
Probably not the best to read in one binging go, because you'll get anxious that things are too good and wondering when the dram is going to start, but you just gotta throw out those thoughts and embrace good things happening to good characters.

Fed-Kun's army
It's been 7 months, wonder what happened. I wish the author's in good health to continue the series!

Dex-chan lover
Super wholesome and cute manga, one of my favorite of all time. The way they helped Julia heal, grow, and gain confidence was fantastic. For english readers: I talked to TheElusiveTaco (translator) a while ago on Reddit while comments here were still gone, and he said that he has dropped this because he got too busy, that's why there has not been an update in a while. I peeked at the raws and looks like there are more chapters to go.

Dex-chan lover
Loved this manga when I read it ages ago.

I find it funny how even without any mention of faith, the parents (and especially grandparents) do "the devout Catholic thing" of essentially pretending the couple is already engaged even from a pretty young age, though the mangaka goes a little nuts with it lol.

I looked back to this manga in part because I get these vibes from real life in niche parts of America.

Users who are viewing this thread