The Soulless Duchess - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Might pass on this one. I'll try one more chapter but this FL better grow some brain cells and a personality.

@huiyin you are being so goodamn sensitive, I know the people who works at this scan, and most of them are not native speakers, so they know that a lot of the readers are not fluent and the notes will help them, and has a translator a lot of times I would prefer to translate something as close as possible to the original text, and put aclarations if needed so my subjective opinion on what I have understood will not be shown

@Lilithabeth lol, so any opinion that's not positive is "sensitive" now? I'm not sure where you're getting that. Just because an opinion is not all butterflies and rainbows doesn't mean the person who holds it is being "sensitive." I'm calling out a practice for what it is -- patronizing.

Dex-chan lover
@huiyin On the very planet you're living on. Only kids and sexually repressed people (aka kids when it comes to their mental development wrt sex) cannot accept their sexuality, and the sexuality of the people around them, and feel disgust at the thought of someone being sexually attracted to them.

There was no ridicule whatsoever, only others praising her body in a not very tasteful manner - at the end of the day those were still meant as compliments, however inelegant they may have been. Let's see the FL's main "issue":

"The men who greeted me, sometimes didn't even hesitate to take a glimpse or stare at my entire body with their perverted eyes."

So she feels offended at others for looking at her with supposedly "perverted eyes". The nerve of those brutes! Not hesitating to look at her! They should be looking at their feet in the presence of her highness melodrama queen!

But here's her actual issue - misandry:
"She thought all men are disgusting."

And unsurprisingly, she starts clinging onto the only man in her entourage that feels no sexual attraction towards her whatsoever, and is then surprised that he does not feel any sexual attraction towards her later on, and is only using her because she is useful to him. It's almost as if there's a notion known as causality.

Tell me, which part of this whole trainwreck is targeted at adults? Not only is this tagged shoujo, but the story is like this. The FL that the reader is supposed to identify with is a kid (mentally).

So it makes perfect sense to have clarifications. Additionally, there are non-native speakers that read this, that certainly appreciate these notes.

Your argument that simpler language should be used in that case, is weak since using more "complex" vocabulary with notes for clarification presents an opportunity for learning, while your suggestion does not. Additionally people that have a "rich enough" vocabulary do not have to deal with dumbed down text. It's a win-win situation.

I couldn't care less, and the scanlators shouldn't either, whether you believe notes are patronising and offensive towards you - they are obviously not targeted at you if you do not need them to understand the text. It's just a case of you being overly dramatic about something that can only benefit readers.

You're either looking for attention, or you are just that self-centered, that you cannot even entertain the thought that this may be useful for other readers. Good job, you got my attention, though I doubt you wanted this type of attention.

@criver Feeling sexual attraction is fine, objectifying someone and making inappropriate comments about them is not. The chapter makes it clear that they're ogling her to the point that she's uncomfortable, which is not okay. The leering faces makes it clear that it's not just some casual and kindly meant appreciation. But it doesn't matter -- even if it's all in her head, the series is still bringing up those issues, which is not appropriate for kids. Note that when I say kids, I mean elementary school age children, which is how I understood your comment and why I was in total disbelief that you would say that lol. This series is clearly aimed at teens, so none of the "eighth grade English," to quote another user, needs annotation. I find it very amusing how you're reading into my comments. I wasn't seeking attention. My original comment was all of two sentences. I found the translation notes irritating and I commented on it, and I was not the only one to do so.

Dex-chan lover
@huiyin

Feeling sexual attraction is fine, objectifying someone and making inappropriate comments about them is not.

Sexual attraction is inherently linked to objectifying, see Kant's ideas on the topic.

Additionally, we were spared the "inappropriate comments", so we cannot know whether those were indeed "inappropriate", or if it's just a biased view and it is the FL's misandry and sexual repression speaking.

The chapter makes it clear that she has issues, not that every man that she has met, that is not gay, is a "disgusting pervert". When one considers some people to have problems, they may be right. When one considers all people to have problems, then maybe the problem is really with the one thinking that. How do you differentiate ogling from looking - at that point it's really about her world perception, and we already know it's biased due to her misandry.

Now you may argue that the author never intended for such an "in depth analysis" and you will most likely be correct. In which case the simplest interpretation would be that the author wanted to introduce an inherent advantage for the character (her figure), while presenting it as a disadvantage, which may be used as an excuse for her avoiding other men except for the ML, but still acting as a plus wrt the ML (there's probably a trope about this). The best analogy would be trying to brag while trying to look like you're not trying to brag: "Oh, woe is me! I can't make men/women keep their eyes off of me." Pretty standard in many low-effort works targeted at kids.

This series is clearly aimed at teens, so none of the "eighth grade English," to quote another user, needs annotation.

1) The vocabulary of teenagers isn't that large.
2) This is doubly true for non-native speakers.
So I do not see your point.

I found the translation notes irritating and I commented on it
Maybe try asking yourself why you find harmless (and arguably useful for others) notes irritating. Or why you believe they were put in there to be patronising.

Also, when somebody writes stuff like this:

A TL note explaining what a 'right hand' is metaphorically isn't helpful, it's just distracting and honestly a little insulting, lol.

There's a notable ellipsis hidden wherein, namely: "isn't helpful to me". Typical failure to see beyond oneself and realize that other people also read this.

Contributor
What a asshole.

I hope she can heal herself after.
Edit: nevermind , i just read tje description....Well, let's hope she will find someone much better than everyone she knew.

If I was being honest though, I didn’t really pay attention to the T/Ns. Once I saw that it was just doing a short summary or a highly simplified version of what was being said I just ignored it. In my opinion, it’s not that big of a bother; it’s whatever.

But I can see how they’re annoying, especially to those who really didn’t need a re-hash of what was JUST said in the panel. A lot of the T/Ns just feel unnecessary cause usually T/Ns are there to provide clarification (for things like cultural background or certain words, since there are limitations in translating and language doesn’t always line up), not summary.

In the end, whether or not it’s for children/teens or for readers who aren’t fluent in English, as the reader, you have the ability to decide whether or not those T/Ns are for you. IN MY OPINION, if you didn’t need them, ignore them, move on. The T/Ns are not patronizing at all. That word suggests that the translators are looking down on others— they’re not. There’s nothing condescending about them at all. The T/Ns are just really, REALLY unnecessary for those already fluent in English.

TL;DR guys just let it go

Someone from the group already responded and very graciously offered to try moving the T/Ns to the end of the chapter so now they'll be easier to skip if you're not a fan, problem solved. We can all move on.

Thank you, D&A, for scanlating this. It seems like it'll be a fun read. I feel bad for finding it funny, but I'm still giggling over the cousin reveal. I do feel bad for her though. I'm hoping her cousin is not a total jerk and is just blinded by love.

Fed-Kun's army
That's cruel af. The guy is one thing but her cousin whom she treated like a brother is too much. They used her without guilt and I hope karma gets them tenfold. Let's meet the true ML. But I agree with a prev comment, the FL better change/improve herself. I wouldn't mind seeing a villainous side either. LOL

Fed-Kun's army
Someone needs to gut that useless fiancé. Pushing her to do such reckless shit you wouldn’t do yourself is pathetic and if her cousin still loves him after know what he manipulated her to do then to hell with him too.

Dex-chan lover
Why even fall for this kind of jealous guy, getting mad because he's not achieving as much as some other talented person was read flag number one. But, I understand she thought he saw her as a person still would that same person ask you to put yourself in danger or die

"Can you dedicate your life to me?" I sincerely hope that was not a proposal. Damn, we don't do slave trades in our country. It's so sad the first man who didn't treat her as an object just so happens to be human trash.

Aggregator gang
I mean, she pretty much deserved what she had coming. I mean, she is literally portrayed as a pitied girl for not being popular and being leered by guys.

I CAN"T WAIT FOR REVENGE! this guy was such a leech and unfortunately, my girl was lacking in perspective and self-worth. Her best revenge is to start a new and better life in all aspects. Also stop him from using innocent naive girls and guys.

@sharkbaithoohaha refering to your page 1 "threat" Rule #1 of not wanting people to not do that thing, dont tell them not to do that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread