The Spark in Your Eyes - Ch. 29 - Going Back, The Path We Left (3)

Fed-Kun's army
Therion didn't follow the most basic of rules when dealing with dementia patients: play along. His mom thought he was someone else, but reminding her that that someone else was dead forced her to go through all that grief again for no reason, when he could've easily just played along and spared her grief. There's more to it then just "play along" but that's the general idea

Thank you so much for updating!!
I feel so bad for Hildegard, she was just used and discarded.

@MapleTreeWithAGun
But you have to realize too - that he may also be hurting and said it in the spur of the moment. We also knew that the war was eight years ago, she might have been calling Therion his older brother's name for that long; He may have just given up on "playing along" for all we know. Just saying.

Agreed for dementia patients, however it’s possible he feels the need to have his existence acknowledged by his mother instead of always living as a substitute for his brother. So agreeing with her delusion is better for her, but not for him.

@mapletreewithagun my mother got early on set dementia. Started in her mid 50s. She died at 63. I was 29. There were a couple of times she looked at me and her face said she saw a stranger. There was fear, because a stranger was in her house. Those rules might work for health care professionals, but they don't work for family, especially when the sick person is a parent and the other is still a young child. You're not just watching the person slowly waste away and grieving that, you're grieving the loss of the relationship you had, you're dealing with the one person who is supposed to love you unconditionally forgetting you. My dad also had chemo related brain damage before he died, he told me I was lying when I said he was my daughter. I was (am) 33. So, by 33, both my parents forgot me shortly before they died. It really *really* sucks, and I don't think we should begrudge children wanting desperately for their parents to remember them for who they are....especially when their parents are still relatively young.

Is there lot of broken pages or it is just me? (Image cuts mid of speech bubble and goes blank)

Of course it loads properly after I post this.

@kuckoonut agree, at first when i read i thought it will be cliche story like a war hero who fall in love with someone from enemy side, but it turns out going deeper than i thought

Users who are viewing this thread