The Strongest Wizard Becomes a Countryside Guardsman After Taking an Arrow to the Knee - Ch. 17.2

I AM CONFUSED,WHICH GENDER IS CRUZ

SOME OF THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER WAS "HE" BUT NOW ITS A "SHE"?

@Eryuzo Definitely a woman, that was confirmed in the hot spring chapter, as far as I recall. Don't know why the translators are being so weird about it. Maybe they're using the more genderless words as he? I got no clue.

@InsaneInsomniac I mean, wouldn't it be venomous? Venomous animals tend to be fairly edible, as venom isn't all too deadly when you eat it, unless it's the type that's lethal both in your bloodstream and stomach. If the Hydra is venomous, then it would stand to reason that most parts of it, outside of the venom glands in the mouth, would be fine to eat. Who even knows lol, I feel like the Hydra being venomous but not poisonous would've been a better explanation than it expelling its poison.

Dex-chan lover
@deadrabbits
that's wrong. Ignoring the actual discussion is directed to third-person pronouns; first-person pronouns has no gender attached to them. A pronoun might be used more often on one gender than the other, but using that doesn't imply that you are the part of majority's user gender; in the end they are just something that someone choose to refer themselves.

Re: gender translation. Proofreader here, during the proofread, I was going through and assumed during the aforementioned dialogue, they were referring to Femme, I was just as confused since my assumption was that giant wolf mama = female.

Hence, my bad

Dex-chan lover
@deadrabbits
As @HayashidaYuki said, not only the pronouns you mentioned are first person, not third person (variations of I and me, not of he and she like the ones we are talking about), not everyone uses the proper one. Boku in particular, many tomboys in japanese media refer to themselves as boku. I think the term according to tv tropes is bokuko?

Their 1st person pronoum usage is more on the mental position than a rule. A big point in the visual novel version of Fate/Stay Night, Unlimited Blade Works route, was linked to when Archer changed from talking about himself from Ore to Watashi, for example. And many mangas seem to have a male character try to act more serious by changing the pronoum he uses for himself.

Dex-chan lover
so why would a random bunny~san hop near a dead animal to taste a still weird fluid there.. if it's for plot reason to turn it into the next meta monster bunny creature, fine, but it still felt random.

Dex-chan lover
Ah, yes, bunnies. Bloodthirsty scavengers always looking for corpses to eat. Or was that hyenas ?

Fed-Kun's army
They don't even know that they should take care of the corpse?!!

Aggregator gang
@ThirtyDigit had it claimed the hydra released most of its venom in combat rather than its poison, I wouldn't have been nearly so bothered by it...though to be fair, I don't know if that's on the author or just a bad TL moment?

esp

Keep in mind that poison and venom aren't differentiated in Japanese, they have the same word. There isn't really a one to one translation for the word since we differentiate between types of dangerous substances in English. They have a word for toxin, though.

I think most English speakers don't care about the difference between poison and venom, though. I'd expect poison to be treated as an umbrella term in the same way.

poor rabbit, victim of the plot. maybe it will turn into 5 headed poison spitting rabbit next?

Users who are viewing this thread