The Summer You Were There - Vol. 6 Ch. 32 - To Shizuku

Dex-chan lover
I'm glad I decided to reread the entire story before reading the last chapter. That was such a special experience.
I don't think I want to go through it again ever, but I also don't think I'll ever forget this.

P/s: I cried so much I started hiccuping, I'm pretty sure the last time that I cried like this was when I was like 10.

Double-page supporter
Thank you for the translation, it was worth the wait. Definitely a must read story, hoping there will be some extra chapter coming.

Dex-chan lover
I don't care if that made me a masochist but I read it again and I'll definitely suffer through the whole story because it is that damn good. Now forgive me but I need to regroup myself before finding a way to support this masterpiece.

Dex-chan lover
everyone processes grief in different ways, and whilst this has an upbeat ending and it's all smiles and light, i still think the friends that barge into her room and force her to do stuff are incredibly shitty - yea yea 'it's for your own good' etc but it's super patronising and just insensitive
I actually believe that that was the reason why Kaori connected those two with Shizuku (aside from the forgiveness thing). She was worried that Shizuku would isolate herself even further (which she did) and just end up in an even worse state than before she met Kaori.

Kaori was prolly hoping that Seri-chan (who isn't Shizuku's friend... Hell, she doesn't even like Shizuku) would do what she did: Drag her back into the real world. Was it terrible and insensitive? Yeah. Did she need it? Kaori certainly thought so. And, based on what happened, Shizuku did indeed need it too.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you Yanagikaze for trusting me with the project and staying as the translator with me through the end. It’s a cliché, but I can safely say I couldn’t have done this without you.
Wait, yanagikaze the old BA fan translator ?

Dex-chan lover
thank you for TL-ing this series!
2nd time reading this chapter again and still cry over it :qq:

it has been 4 yrs since it started, and no regret for following it from beginning until the end. truly one of highly recommended yuri drama, especially when the MCs are not becoming a couple in the end. bless Yuama-sensei and you guys who have been in work for TL-ing this series 🙏

this need to get anime adaptation or movie ngl

Dex-chan lover
What a tragic, yet beautiful ending. Thank you for the TL.

everyone processes grief in different ways, and whilst this has an upbeat ending and it's all smiles and light, i still think the friends that barge into her room and force her to do stuff are incredibly shitty - yea yea 'it's for your own good' etc but it's super patronising and just insensitive

ps thanks to the scanlators for doing quality work this whole time (you can really tell the difference between ML translations and people that are literate)
It’s not shitty at all IMO. Everyone processes grief differently, but the way the manga portrays it is that she’s not processing at all and what she’s doing is extremely unhealthy for her. They did the right thing by forcing her out to confront Kaori and she’s clearly grateful for it. She was in a really bad self-loathing spiral where she knew she needed to go see the family but she just couldn’t do it.

Last edited:
What a tragic, yet beautiful ending. Thank you for the TL.

It’s not shitty at all IMO. Everyone processes grief differently, but the way the manga portrays it is that she’s not processing at all and what she’s doing is extremely unhealthy for her. They did the right thing by forcing her out to confront Kaori and she’s clearly grateful for it. She was in a really bad self-loathing spiral where she knew she needed to go see the family but she just couldn’t do it.
If anything, Kaori says in her letter it’s her wish for Shizuku to engage the world and truly live instead of shutting herself up in a distorted house of mirrors within her mind.

The chapter finds Shizuku essentially self-flagellating (not eating) and sinking deep within herself as her reaction to Kaori’s passing.

Is rushing up and confronting her ideal and the most gentle? No. But life is often messy, as all these characters know.

Kaori wants Shizuku to live, and accepting and confronting her passing is part of that.

Last edited:
Great job on the translation and seeing this to the end! Not an easy thing.

A translation that gets the nuances of the letter and really great type setting. Very impressed by the way the letters follow the lines in the journal.

Dex-chan lover
I'm glad Kaori is so explicit on her words, using 'love letter' to describe the novel and her desire to be a real couple. It leaves Shizuku in no doubt her first love was mutual. The words "Don't come after me" were heartbreaking, she knew from the start where Shizuku's mind was and she must have passed still with the fear the girl she loved would be unable to cope with her death. It's lovely to see Shizuku decide to live up to what Kaori hoped for her and be the proof that wonderful girl who saved her was there.

I'm hoping we'll see an epilogue a decade or so in the future where she's a successful author and happily married, living up to that request to live happily until she's a grandma. I see her being interviewed and talking about her inspiration to be who she now is. The last panel being her and her wife visiting Kaori's grave, still remembering her, still loving her.

Thank you for translating. When I've read something scanlated that I truly love, then I buy the physical copies to the support the author. Volumes 1-4 of the English release are now on my shelf. Worried about reading them as I fear they're going to end up with numerous damp spots on the pages.

Dex-chan lover
Thank for you staying true to this title and releasing this final chapter. I'm very glad to have waited just a little longer for it.

Users who are viewing this thread