The Twin Siblings' New Life - Ch. 2

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for picking this up, Just Do It :)

Tbh, kinda sad their mother barely is in this series.... and yet ANOTHER dead mother trope of Manhwa.

Woulda been nice, even if she was abusive at first, if they made her get better/regret/and really be a better mother. Maybe not perfect, but work for their sake at least.

oh well

@Silvthnaz It's Manhwa's, yo... mothers almost are never allowed to exist, apparently :( so sad (amusingly, in Japan, it's usually the fathers that aren't there)

@TheGodEmperor Isekai is popular because people got fed up with the harsh realities of real word situation, dissatisfied with their unpleasant current life, so isekai genre serves as a form of escapism. In fantasy genre, people mostly write their desire, what's not commonly exist in real life. So, maybe in Korean family, a father is/was less likely involved in raising their children, because of various reasons. That's why it's sort of a 'fantasy' to have a very loving and affectionate father. That's why maybe a lot of manhwa recently did that.

FYI, in the past few years, Korean people starts to raise more awareness about the importance of father in parenting. There is an extremely popular reality show, showing how the father does housework and taking care of the children alone when Mom is sent away. It's called Return of Superman.
Summary from Wikipedia: Celebrity dads are left to care for their kids alone for 48 hours without the help of anyone else, while their wives leave home to enjoy some relaxing time off. The wives are shown leaving the home before the 48 hours begins and coming back to greet their family once the 48 hours have ended. During the 48 hours the dads and children are either doing a task the wives have written out for the dads to complete, or the dads are exploring new activities with their kids. Occasionally celebrity friends of the dads will stop by to interact with the kids.

See how this is so popular. Aside from the cute kids, having dads taking care of their children and doing some chores is apparently not as common as we think. Some dads are clumsy coz they never involved that much with parenting before the show, some dads are really excellent that can serves as role models.

Aggregator gang
I was not expecting Valarie, the most idiotic MC that ice ever seen that doesnt even listen to be at the end 😑

Dex-chan lover
@Moth TIL :p neat. I don't know too much about Korean culture/society, so interesting to learn. Thanks :) I guess I didn't think about Isekai being the escapism aspect and writing things that are ideals. I mean, I know it's that, but my perspective started at the "how is this for a story aspect/character and how common have I seen it." It just seems like every Manhwa has no mother (if not dead, then absent) and the fathers are USUALLY tyrants at first. I just would like to see some differences there :p

That's one thing I like about, say, Lady Baby. Lippe's mother is adorable and sweet and the father is great too and it's nice to see a complete typical family unit that gets along well as I don't see it much in these stories.

@Moth

Even so, it's still unfair and biased. Mothers had always sacrificed a lot for their children and family; risking their life and health to give birth to kids, then their careers and freedom just to take care of them. Yet media and a lot of societies still insist on portraying them as shallow villains who deserve harsh punishment for every little slight or neglect that they do.

It's great that dads are starting to get involve in their children's lives but it's kind of jarring seeing them get put on high pedestals for every little nice thing they do when mothers had been naturally doing them since ancient times but are never given the same appreciation for it and are just taken for granted. They keep saying that kids won't grow up properly without their fathers, yet a lot of people who grew up without one still turned out to be decent and hardworking people. All children really need are good and caring role models regardless of familial relationships; moms, dads, grandparents, etc.

I don't get the weird bias society have with dads. Like some old-fashioned relatives insisting your dad needed to be a part of your life even if he was toxic or abusive towards you in the past just cause he's your dad, so they guilt you into forgiving him.

@TheGodEmperor You're right, a mom redemption arc would've been nice. I just wish, for once, these stories would stop demonizing mothers or just outright not having them a part of the children's lives.

@Silvthnaz

The reason why society has the bias towards fathers is because of gender inequality. For a long time people have deemed males far above females. They see women as subservient to males. As such, people tend to write stories where the men save the damsel in distress from the villains.

I agree that having the mother be abusive, mentally unwell, and killed so quickly is a trend that should be stopped. In fact, any parental figure following that exact process should be discouraged imo because it's becoming an overused trope. This story should've made the mother's death hold more meaning by give more examples of situations where she is abusing the main characters. That way it feels as if something good was actually achieved rather then an event just conveniently came to pass. It just makes the main characters look so useless and gives off the implication that people in these situations can only wait for a convenient event to occur or for a "hero" to save them. Killing her off in two chapters for no reason other than "we just need to push them towards the actual plot" is boring. She just decides to kill herself because her life is so pitiful? What's so pitiful about it? We don't know because we never got the time to see the reasons why she chose to kill herself. (I should probably add that alcohol can not be the reason. Alcohol only makes a person's desires more prominent. If she were to commit suicide drunk she would've needed some urge/reason to do it.)

In all honesty I'd rather a story where they make the abuse a bigger conflict and use it as a character development plot device instead of just simply throwing it in there to make the characters seem more pitiful. There honestly really is no point in having an abusive parental figure in the story only to never bring up or reference the trauma that would come from that. This is honestly one of the biggest flaws I see in stories trying to write characters who grew up in abusive households; the authors don't understand that it isn't some "background detail", it's a detail that is detrimental to the development, personality, and habits of the characters. From what I see so far, the author does use their traumatic childhood experiences to show why the characters act in such a way though we can only hope that it remains in the story.

From the many translations I see on social media of further chapters, it doesn't seem like the twins immediately warm up to their father. I think they end up actually being really doubtful of all their family members (but I could be wrong since I didn't really see all too many translations). It might be cruel of me to say this but I'm kind of hoping the father doesn't immediately warm up to the children (at the least just acknowledges that they exist and give them the same luxuries a lower noble would receive). The recent trend of "cruel father suddenly becomes super nice to his children/MC because they are cute and adorable and need to be protected" is becoming way too overused. It'd be great if he treated them well not because they boosted his ego or are visually appealing but rather because they contributed to the kingdom and gained his respect. It's hard to find stories where the characters are well-liked by the side character because they earned their respect (Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter is a great example).

I laugh so hard when they realized they're idiots. 😂😂😂
Could that be a relative of them?

Thanks For Your Hard Work!!!! ♡♡♡ Can't Wait For More!!! ♡♡♡ And Stay Safe!!!!!

Double-page supporter
Damn that was quick. And I feel bad for them to have not a single person with a conscience to treat them nicely... kinda reminds me of Leslie

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the translation!
They're protecting each other so much, and endure so much abuse, let these twins be happy. Even if they're 20+ inside, they're still small children. I know I've only known them for 2 chapters, but if they don't get a happy ending, I will kill everyone and then myself!

Users who are viewing this thread