The Villainous Daughter’s Butler - I Raised Her to Be Very Cute - Vol. 1 Ch. 2.2 - A Butler's Decision

@blackLuna Thank you for your insight into this! Considering how widely used the terms "head maid" and "personal butler" are used in scanlations, I never questioned it's use despite never seeing the terms be used in historical dramas or period pieces. As for the link you provided, I wasn't aware of so many the positions present since I usually lumped them all into general terms like maid, butler, footman, etc.

Group Leader
Ah... Kaichou wa Maid-sama. The anime made me curious on the different positions, i.e. footman. Cool to see other people also bothered to know this stuff. Hmm.. I'm sure some people's misunderstandings arose from Black Butler with Sebastian being a butler. However, Sebastian is a butler as he manages the entire estate and staff while also attending to Ciel.

Contributor
@usawion @readercat You're welcome! You have little idea of how happy I am to see other people agreeing with me on this point!

As for the source of the misunderstandings, it's actually mostly laziness, primarily by any Americans who don't have much interest in Western history, particularly when it comes to anything "aristocratic." Well, since American culture does not exactly support having nobility, any disinterest is a little more understandable in that light. I'm also American, so, no, I'm not hating on Americans, just bemoaning the tendency for the opposition to American culture having nobility leading to ignorance, unfounded hatred, and such. Additionally, because in American English, the term "parking valet" is frequently shortened to "valet," anyone ignorant of the term "footman" ends up referring to all male servants as "butlers" — as though it were a general term… So that tendency along with Japanese not having the terminology for a Western setting with some laziness on the part of someone in the translation team or just ignorance plus disinterest, and this is what you get (the ridiculous "personal butler" probably comes from "personal [male] servant").

I haven't gotten around to reading Black Butler yet (I plan to, along with a jillion other things), so thank you for the info. I was aware that the series is responsible for the generic name for a butler in Japan being "Sebastian" (in the West, it's more frequently "Jeeves" thanks to a particular humorous series by P. G. Woodhouse). As for the exact role Sebastian has in the Phantomeve household, I was quite ignorant, so thank you.

Evidently the authors of these works did a very good job!— enough for anyone who doesn't bother to look things up to get confused. (It's kind of like how "Shirley" became a feminine name. Hurrah for the power of literature! [Manga included.])

Dex-chan lover
I was expecting a more sensible character out of the fem mc but she's just a brat

"You never knew hardships"

Okay, but how does that make you a good butler if you don't know proper etiquette as one (not saying I know etiquette, but still)? I'd say being raised as a butler/valet makes a good offer than some buffoon.

I just hope he doesn't stick around like hair lice lol

Dex-chan lover
@AnimuHikari Oh, THAT Sebastian in particular.
Well, as mentioned, all butlers are Sebastian secretly, so yeah, Sebastian IS the best butler XD

Dex-chan lover
Experiencing hardships won't make a you a better butler but etiquette and manners are. That guy's dumb.

The school rules say that all the students are equal, but if you don't want to completely annihilate your chances at securing a job with one of the noble students at the school, learn some fucking respect.

Dex-chan lover
This butler has thought the lady everything since 6 years ago, and has excelled far more... he'll probably ace it all.

@pakyu1199

True, having to experience hardship is a failure as a butler in the first place since it is in their best behavior and interest to never fail or be troubled when doing their duties, as it will also negatively impact those they serve.

Users who are viewing this thread