The Viridescent Tiara - Ch. 44

@RubyG8396

Historically not that long ago Asia modernized. Prior to that, even in 1950 Korea was still mostly living the way it had for centuries prior to Westernization with the exception of some urban areas like Seoul. Hell, you still got obscure as fuck areas in China/Central Asia/Middle East that still mostly live like they did centuries prior without much change. No electricity, no cars, no television, radio, phone, ect.

Having horses was an expensive luxury afforded only to the most wealthy. The vast majority of people walked. In a world pre-modernization, your feet being in good health was still very important. Even with nobles back then, feet care was extremely important. Infections can easily enter a punctured foot, linger and then kill you without much warning versus getting a cut on your hand where it's more apparent to care for and spot the symptoms.

In many poor/rural areas, foot care is still a part of day to day necessity. Ever heard of trench foot thanks to WWI? Sure the only foot care people have in modern areas are foot spas and pedicures but where do you think that industry's history hails from? Cellulitis is still a pretty big deal and you can get it anywhere. A friend of mine got it not long ago in her own home, which she meticulously keeps clean. (Stepped on a lego and didn't think much of it cause she didn't bleed or anything.) She merely thought it was just her being on her feet too long that was causing swelling cause she does have that issue. Turns out a couple weeks later it was cellulitis and if she had waited a little longer to go in about it would have had a lot more issues to deal with. In regions where modern medicine isn't that great, parasites and cellulitis can do a person in easily.

It's not infantilization but in old cultures that only recently modernized, it's still a sign of care because feet are important to a person's health and mobility. If you read the Bible, even if forced to as a kid, remember the parts where people washed feet and shit? That was a form of preventative healthcare.

So yeah it does seem weird to Western cultures where industrialization and modernization has been around longer, but in context to a global scale, it's actually not that strange for people to constantly show affection by caring for others' feet.

Thank you for the translation! Loving the more recent hints of Yus's affection, though I don't totally trust him yet as it's hard to tell if he cares for her in a possessive or a personal way. Hope it is the latter, and that they both grow to trust each other more (learn that neither of them are a threat to the other persons position or life).

Fed-Kun's army
@RubyG8396 It's just an action that conveys affection. It's old-school chivalry, kind of like a man laying his coat down for the woman to step on. It really isn't specific to Asian cultures. I've seen it often in black-and-white American/western movies. You just don't personally see it because, well, we're in the 21st century and no one does that now.

Fed-Kun's army
Korean chivalry goes a bit too much in the "let's not let women do anything for themselves" extreme, I feel like... Putting their shoes, cutting food for them, even buckling their seat belts. It might seem like just being chivalrous at first, but to me it gives me a bad feeling of making the woman be helpless without someone else's intervention.

I know it might not be their true intent to do so, but I can't really help but feel uncomfortable about it. I much rather have someone who will see me as an equal, than someone who thinks I need to be treated like I need help on such basic stuff.

i feel like crafting a secret identity is a must if you get isekai'd at this point. lets you have so much more fun lol

@nobile I have to agree. If it's an actual task like doing the dishes for me, then it's nice. But putting my slippers on for me or buckling my seatbelt? That's a big no no for me, that's what you do to a child. I'd just feel uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread