To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Vol. 15 Ch. 111 - True and False

Dex-chan lover
Sad to say that I'm liking this series for many reasons.

Especially U. I. HA. RUUUUUUUUU!!!

Double-page supporter
I actually find the main story (Index) awful. Plot is nothing great, characters are abundant but only there for world building. There's next to no character development and not to mention, Index is an apathetic whiny little bitch which is one of the huge turn off for me in the main story.

While in Railgun, the plot isn't that great per say but the characters are relevant and there's a lot of character development especially towards Biribiri and the action scenes are better too.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, honestly I'm fully in Camp Railgun. I started on the normal Index anime (as I'd assume a LOT of people did) back when season 1 came out... Then found Railgun to tide me over between seasons... then fell in love with the scifi focus, and Mikoto was always best girl, so... yeah... now I'm doomed to find this more interesting than Index...

I still say the biggest problem with Index is, well... Index.

Why.

Why is she so annoying.

Why.

Dex-chan lover
dunno... I love Index series better because it's the tedious like feeling it gives which makes me love it more...
Railgun feels too laid out open to everyone so it kinda hard to focus reading on it... but gotta power through 'cause SA.TE.N. and UI.HA.RUUUUUU!!!!

p.s. note: Index ain't that bad... there are more characters out there which is more annoying that makes Index look cute in comparison... but that's just me :|

Railgun's biggest problem is that its position is ultimately fixed by Index since Mikoto still has a fairly decent amount of screentime in NT. It's ultimately limited by Index, which is this world's main story line, and the microcosm it has forced itself into. It is ultimately weaker than Index due to all that Index has established. There's a reason I look forward to Index novels whereas the only side story manga I look forward to nowadays is Astral Buddy. The argument that the characters in Index lack character development is ultimately moot since it's an incorrect assessment. Be it Touma, Accelerator, Hamazura, Mikoto, Orsola (yes, even her), Aleister, or the plethora of other characters that have been introduced and been shaped by the story, there is an abundance of character development in the main story bringing about far more highs and beautiful climaxes (I still hold nothing but praise for NT9, 18, and 21) than the Railgun manga has unfortunately achieved. Hell, I don't think Railgun has had any good highs since the end of Daihaseisai to be frank.

Index has the ideas but Railgun has better character development. Currently, the main idea of the third season can be taken as there isn't just one hero and had Kansaki's character development to kicked it off.

Me

Dex-chan lover
@Superpeanut I actually started with the first season of the Railgun anime. Picked it up early on, because someone linked me the opening on Youtube. I fell in love immediately. ALMOST dropped it at episode 2, but gave it one more because of the strength of the first episode, and never regretted it. I sought Index ought because I loved Railgun and wanted more. I was underwhelmed, to say the least.
If my first exposure had been Index, I would've actively avoided Railgun.

Dex-chan lover
There's a very simple reason why Index III feels bad. Even if you haven't read a single LN, you can feel it's rushed as hell. If they wanted to adapt the arcs that now running, it should've been 48 episodes at least, so they can do a proper job with the storyline, characteristics, etc.

Dex-chan lover
I started with the Railgun manga here on mangadex. I feel that I like Railgun more than Index because of all the more sci-fi there is in this series, the various characters here, and the character development (just felt like putting my 2 cents in).

I prefer the Railgun manga, I'm always excited to see what they are going to come up with next time, I read the LN of Index and it can be really tedious, it's better than the anime but sometimes it's so damn long, it took me a whole year to read New Testament 9 and it was the supposedly epic conclusion of one of the biggest arcs (It would be season 4 in the anime, in 8 years probably :p) I started watching the anime of the season 3 but the pacing is terrible and some scen that looked really cool when I was reading the book look terribly stupid when animated. So in my opinion the best experience I have with the whole TOARU universe is by reading the Railgun manga. (I also read the accelerator spin-off, not a fan :x)

I think i like LN more mainly because i think the arc in Russia is my favourite, but i love this manga and i think it's great! Plus while i like a lot of characters in LN i think that they are just for couple of volumes, don't really know if it is underdeveloped as a character, but it's just feels that they were placed specifically for this arc and will never appear again.

As for the chapter, Mikoto is the best! <3
Always thought that she is truly #3, mainly that she will beat Mugino and she beat her 1 on 3 and 1 on 1 while completely exhausted. And didn't really feel that Mugino had powered up that much (pretty much at all). So it doesn't change anything.

Double-page supporter
I like Railgun, mainly because I like Mikoto-chan and the other girls. As others have stated, Index is irritating in the Index series, but so is Touma.

Index (LN) > Railgun > Everything else > Index (Anime) > Trash > Index (Character)

Double-page supporter
What I love about Misaka is that even though on the outside, people call her righteous and heroic, she knows herself she isn't. She's a bit selfish in a way that she's willing to hurt people if it's for her friends and wouldn't hesitate to. Though if possible, she would like to avoid conflict in general and probably wouldn't want to kill. In some ways, she actually admires Touma that he's able to accomplish such feats of saving his enemy and everyone more than her, since if possible, she would like to achieve it as well but knows her power isn't enough to. Which is kind of the reason why she can't call herself a hero because she herself is aware that she doesn't have the power to save everyone, so it's a bit of a reason why she prioritizes her friends first. You can already tell that she thinks Touma as a greater being than her and would like to catch up to him if possible just from that sentence she says.
Truthfully, I wish this characteristic of her admiring Touma's aspects such as his resolve is shown more in Index since really the only thing going (anime-wise) is the romantic and tsundere aspect :/ Index doesn't do her enough justice to see how amazing of a character Misaka Mikoto is, though I can't blame it since Touma's perspective sadly cannot see all of Misaka's traits...
SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT!!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Though I believe in the light novels (NT), you do see that side of hers later on, where she knew that no matter how hard she tried, she could never stand on the same stage as him and she felt truly inferior. Though because of that, she becomes more power hungry (something that a lot of LVL 5's go through it seems...) and searches for ways to exponentially power up, with any cost, if it means to help Touma. Truly the LN does treat her better from there on out and I actually hope a bit Railgun does put light upon this, where Misaka does go to the dark zone and willing to be evil if it's for those important to her (like Misaka Imouto~~~~)

Double-page supporter
Also let me add Railgun > Index
Index isn't bad per say and I know LN are really good, but I guess I just really love Misaka as a protagonist.. She fits so well and really it gives her the proper development and character she needs. Unlike Index, where you see not much sides of her from her limited screentime, as well as overusing the tsundere on her and overshadowing her other traits, you can see in Railgun how fleshed out she is :) She isn't just a tsundere (even though there are still signs and a bit more subdued which is better), she's protective, caring, her childish traits show more, strong willed, polite and her personality just shows much more when you see her in different environments :D
Also I really love the science side much more :3 It's more logical and you get to learn much more xD I'm not into religion that much so learning about it... doesn't really.. interest me :/ Though I actually do wish that Misaka gets more influenced by magic and actually learns about it! Though in retrospect, if she gets involved too much, they might have more ideas for science side so they probably want to continue using Misaka in order to fulfill it :|

..What's with the sudden number of comments about preferences between Railgun and Index?!

Users who are viewing this thread