To Your Eternity - Vol. 12 Ch. 112 - Then, Towards the Sunrise

@loksel I on't think the trivialization of death cheapens the value of life. Think of every RPG/action game you played, characters in there are essentially immortals with unlimited respawn, yet we still sympathize with their emotions, curious of their stories, and frustrated at their (relatively cheap) death

Not to mention, every character here has a choice, to be revived and continue to die again, and again, or to go to heaven to have all their wishes fulfilled. The permanent death of Messar's sister implies that choice still has value, which gives meaning to life.

Where is that crazy yandere Hayase and her lineage? She reincarnated so is she the current Hayak? Hmm

Dex-chan lover
I hope he brings back cam (sam) and sarah back. Feel bad for him and he did get a fair sized role

Dex-chan lover
I agree wholeheartedly with @criver .

Being able to revive people who have long died does limit the engagement the viewer has with the emotional aftermath of a death of a beloved character. The reason i teared up when Gugu died was because he was not gonna come back and seeing the effect it had on the people around him and the MC. This death gave meaning to Guru and his story. MC had to carry on with his will and that strenghtened him during his further journey.

Reviving him after 200 years is a horrible idea because it cheapens the earlier described experience in hindsight. His death becomes entirely irrelevant because MC can just revive whoever he wants now under some 'arbitrary' conditions. The biggest glaring issue with this is who he can and can't revive, with the greatest inconsistency being the princess. For a revival to take place the "spirit" still needs to linger around to inhabit the body copy. There is no reason why the princess would not linger around her corpse to be revived. She is the princess of an entire country, which is on the brink of destruction and her life long friend finally became friendly with her again. Out of all the people who died so far she has the biggest reason to still linger around, and you're telling me she passed on in a second? That seems hardly fitting.

This manga started fantastically, being one of my favorites, with a compelling MC and story to tell about an object evolving over time, influenced by his environment and the people who interact with him. This pretty much became moot when this arc started, and that is when in my opinion the story took a huge plunge towards the negative. Reintroducing Tonari, who was THE mc in the whole prison island arc, after 40 years of her experiencing the world, just to kill her off in the same effin chapter left a gigantic sour taste in my mouth. The whole defense corps debacle and the 200 year time skip after that didnt make it better. Fushi turned from a young adventuring boy evolving and influenced by his surroundings to a godlike necromancer who can summon entire cities from the palms of his hands in the span of 1 arc.

In conclusion, the people he summoned now have no reason to even exist at this point. 200 years have passed, their entire purpose was to watch over and help fushi with their forms which gave him power. Not a single one of the ghost people that were following him did it to be revived by him. The only reason they followed him was because they loved him and wanted to watch over him and see the changes he would bring towards the world. I doubt they even want to continue to live around at this point, because every single person they knew is long gone and their cities turned to dust. The author can NOT keep these revived people around, that would be terrible storytelling. At most they can complete this current objective and then pass on and join the eternal cycle, which is what im assuming is gonna happen.

Dex-chan lover
A lot of people offering their opinion on the idea of reviving. 3 months ago hahaha. Well let's see...

In terms of timeline, I feel like everything makes sense to the way the world works. The progression of Fushi's character is being forced to mature. In the earlier arcs, he kinda wandered, lived, and experienced loss, while the later arcs (starting from his Island Seclusion) he's started to be dragged around by the flow. His desire to protect everyone that exists everywhere is an unhealthy thought. As a human, it's just not possible. People are going to die. He's NOT human though, and the hooded man makes sure he's aware of that, and Fushi himself is aware of that. It's why he's so hard on himself, which is also why, he's willing to give up his "humanity" to become a "god" when its revealed the knockers are going to attack an incredibly large populace. Again, in terms of timeline, I feel like this progressions makes sense and correlates with Fushi's character.

Now onto the topic of revival. I understand why people feel revival is emotionally limiting. "It cheapens the deaths of our favorite characters." I can agree with that, but (this is my personal opinion and everyone is free to think otherwise) I feel the emotional payoff of reviving them and becoming part of Fushi's life once again makes up for it. Fushi has been suffering this entire war. He's exhausted, and drained. I was incredibly worried for him when he just looked away from his 3 immortal comrades as they literally offed themselves in front of him to be revived elsewhere. Is that really OK? Is this really going to be how Fushi will think once it's all over, "It's fine to die since they can just be revived?" This dilemma that we have issues with in story telling, is being applied to Fushi's character. We shouldn't want him to think that way, even with his powers of revival, which is why I feel his friend's and family's return is actually important. There's no way in hell he's going to be fine with letting them die again despite revival powers. It will reaffirm his resolve and idea that death is a terrifying and painful thing.

As for the future, being able to revive can also cause a few moral dilemmas. Will Fushi just infinitely revive his friends for as long as he exists? Would he be OK with that? Will he let them move on to the afterlife post second death? Actually that's something I'm curious of now. Does dying allow them another chance to see that dream? Will those who linger EVER be able to go to "heaven?"
Regardless, those are my thoughts.

On another note, I also recall reading how erratic and flimsy souls are when it comes to death, using the Princess as an example. Mm.... well I can't exactly disagree. The author can kinda just choose who does and doesn't get to stay (side-character wise) simply because we don't know a lot about them. My opinion on the princess is that she would prefer to go to heaven rather than accept the reality she was given. In her dream, she's most definitely playing "their game" with everyone alive and smiling. Her dream "fulfills" her regrets, or I guess, gives the "illusion of fulfillment."

Banned
I call bullshit on this.

No, I don't give a shit that he is reviving people that died hundreds of years and about a hundred chapters or whatever ago. That is irrelevant, and frankly giving a damn about that is pathetic. They were with him all along, whether they're in meat or not, so it is completely irrelevant.

I call bullshit on this because their forms and all memories of them were stolen. Extracted and removed from him.
There is no way he would automatically remember them and everything about them like popping a bubble just because he saw their ghosts. They should be complete strangers to him at this point in time.
AND FURTHERMORE because the forms were stolen, he shouldn't be able to recreate their bodies either. He has nothing to work with because all of that was taken by the knocker. Just magically getting it all back just like that effectively nullifies the entire threat the knockers posed to him in the first place.

i.e. He can fucking well leave reviving them until he has killed that one knocker and got all the memories pertaining to them back...

@Retards_Rise_Up it's more like relationship power and he's a god, with mechanics that work in this case.

No need to be too critical at that just cause of the specifics, everyone wants this and this works in the logic of this world, rather, fushi powers are built upon them and only work after he sees them once more using the guys specific gifts. I think it's fair logic, unlike where the words are used as hollow filler.

It only worked because of the sacrifice of a friend he saved. And the family who filled him up. This is him overcoming his forms being stolen, and it was impossible by himself, they're literally physically helping him so it's far from total bullshit.

I get where you're coming from, but the idea itself isn't awful, it's the execution that needs substance, that a lot of others do skip over and use the hollow words as a substitute for. This makes enough sense.

Well... I mean.... Can't Fushi just turn his consciousness into the original body that took over a whole damn ship and spread its roots 3 kilometres?

Dex-chan lover
@Ubatam We went past 3 km like... 50 chapters ago.

He is practically the WHOLE FUCKING CITY... and even more OUTSIDE of it, the whole point of his weakening is that spreading his consciousness has been a toll much bigger than he first thought, all his exhaustion is because even if he has all this power he has only his mind to control that and the awareness is terribly taxing.

Users who are viewing this thread