Tokidoki Bosotto Roshia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san - Ch. 42.5 - Special Oneshot

Aggregator gang
I love how realistically the mangaka drew the VAs in this special chapter! Especially Sumire Uesaka, who very much resembles the other well-known character she voiced (Nagatoro-san), not only here, but IRL as well!

Dex-chan lover
A p-peach head? Not the best choice.

iu

The funny thing is that the author had an interview a couple years back where they basically said Roshidere was originally designed as an isekai anime. Like, the whole premise would be that a schoolgirl pulled in from Japan to become a hero would speak in Japanese to her party members… unaware that one of the party members also came from Japan and knows what she’s saying.

Then the author looked it over, went “wait, a fantasy series means I would need to think about worldbuilding and magic and shit like that” and rewrote it so it is what it is now, replacing the gimmick with Russian instead of Japanese. Meaning that here, it’s not really far off to say the author treats Russia as if it was another world entirely.
That's quite the deep lore.

Aggregator gang
So, again, why is male lead hiding he knows russian again?
See the first chapter. Alya flirts with Kuze-kun in Russian, thinking he can't understand her, when in reality he can due to (a) picking up Russian from his grandfather's love of Russian movies, and (b) interacting with a mysterious Russian girl he used to hang out with at a local park when he was young. (Said girl turns out to be Masha, not Alya, as we find out later in the light novel). Kuze-kun figures that Alya would freak out/pass out if he revealed his secret to her, due to the relatively intimate things she said to him; so he keeps it to himself, also figuring she would be more truthful while commenting to him in Russian if she continues to think he can't understand her.

Dex-chan lover
For someone to think another person's troubled expression is 'cute', regardless of sex, does that indicate a sadistic side to them?

Dex-chan lover
P. 10: either authors fucked up russian, or scanlators fucked up translation, since in her second speech bubble, she says, in russian:
"I just don't [know/understand] anything about it", while in translation she talks about Kuze... for some reason. I would assume, taking context into consideration, that she refers to her previous words, about him "planning to propose", and talks about herself knowing nothing...about how proposals are made, probably. If I remember correctly, there was this moment in the novel, might need some context from there to be sure.
Either way, @Wu can you/r team please do a double check?

Dex-chan lover
I really wanna go to Japan and [gently] slap every mangaka for "silver hair blue eyes russian" trope) Most russians either brunets or hazelnut or natural blond hair color with some gingers and blondes on the fringes, and eyes are mostly hazelnut and grey with some green, hazelnut+green (my eyes color) and very little of blue eyes. This Silver hair blue eyes looks alien to every native, FFS we are not snow kings and queens here xD
Dude, its the same thing as with the koreans, and their "duke of the north" shoujo manhwa love interest trope. Its such a part of the culture(?) its simpler to accept it.
Sooo, the authors have a consultant for russian and it is still crappy and or strange at times?.. Damn
(Also, this anime I would definetly skip, do not want to cringe every time japanese actress would try to speak russian as a native -__-)
Well, its kinda your problem. The characters there most likely wouldnt really have perfect russian pronunciation, what with their constant moving between two countries and thus, most likely, irregular usage of russian.
Now, if you mean crappy in terms of sentence structure, here i agree, grates a bit.

Dex-chan lover
Meaning that here, it’s not really far off to say the author treats Russia as if it was another world entirely.
Weeeeeell, russia in large will be a different world for japanese person :) For one, them nippons can't hold their liquor and does not know shit how to drink responsibly xD

Dex-chan lover
For someone to think another person's troubled expression is 'cute', regardless of sex, does that indicate a sadistic side to them?
Probably not. It depends on the level of troubledness. A lot of people like to tease others, but not actually hurting them. It's kind of like saying you're a masochist if you think it feels good to scratch yourself.

Supporter
So, again, why is male lead hiding he knows russian again?
At first, he didn't think it worth commenting on, since she was just blowing off steam in general. No point in embarrassing her unnecessarily, after all.

After the middle-school festival, though, when her comments became more directly aimed at him, he refrained to avoid embarrassing both of them.

Dex-chan lover
Good to see the anime getting its deserved success.
That "fetish, aye sir" part :pepela:

I really hope the recording took more than one day, as it was depicted. That'd seem really exhausting to me...
Also, could someone find the art sample to be found somewhere on X mentioned on page 19? I did a quick search but didn't find it...

Dex-chan lover
Did she always have string panties?
Aye, sir
Fetish?
Aye, sir

fucking love it
now that I think about it
was there a Russian consultant for Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls? Cause Uesaka Sumire also plays the Russian girl there

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Sooo, the authors have a consultant for russian and it is still crappy and or strange at times?.. Damn
(Also, this anime I would definetly skip, do not want to cringe every time japanese actress would try to speak russian as a native -__-)
Fwiw the English dub legitimately has good Russian, and the English VA cast has done a great job with the dub so far. I found the Japanese dub unwatchable because her Russian was barely intelligible, but I have no problem understanding what the English VA is saying in Russian and the show is pretty great in English too.

Last edited:

Wu

Group Leader
P. 10: either authors fucked up russian, or scanlators fucked up translation, since in her second speech bubble, she says, in russian:
"I just don't [know/understand] anything about it", while in translation she talks about Kuze... for some reason. I would assume, taking context into consideration, that she refers to her previous words, about him "planning to propose", and talks about herself knowing nothing...about how proposals are made, probably. If I remember correctly, there was this moment in the novel, might need some context from there to be sure.
Either way, @Wu can you/r team please do a double check?
I should mention, as I did at the end of the previous chapter, that we don't translate the russian text and that it's best to ignore it. Russian and japanese are two wildly different languages, and while the russian text is direct with its meaning, the ultra literal translation of the jp text is something like "The reason for omitted topic is omitted subject doesn't know anything omitted predicate object" which just drops any indicator of what the subject is. Based on the context, it makes the most sense (in our opinion) that she is referring to his lack of knowledge about the flowers, "you're choosing those flowers? You gonna propose? Nah, it's because he doesn't know anything (about what the flowers mean)." rather than talking about her not knowing how a proposal is done or something like that. Also, the russian text has in the past, as commented by other russian spakers, been pointed out as being somewhat unreliable, also sometimes being completely different from what the jp raws say.

For these reasons, we'll stick with that translation unless there's some kind of overwhelming evidence to the latter. Fyi, the spanish translators used the same reasoning in their translation.

Wu

Group Leader
Good to see the anime getting its deserved success.
That "fetish, aye sir" part :pepela:

I really hope the recording took more than one day, as it was depicted. That'd seem really exhausting to me...
Also, could someone find the art sample to be found somewhere on X mentioned on page 19? I did a quick search but didn't find it...
I was unable to find the images actually posted on her personal twitter account, but I did find them posted by the official roshidere twitter account https://x.com/roshidere/status/1814254607507288259

Dex-chan lover
Fwiw the English dub legitimately has good Russian, and the English VA cast has done a great job with the dub so far. I found the Japanese dub unwatchable because her Russian was barely intelligible, but I have no problem understanding what the English VA is saying in Russian and the show it's pretty great in English too.
Oh, thanks! I have a gander at that. And yeah, from trailer alone it was apparent what jdub actress tried, probably tried really hard, but it still 11 kinds of off the mark every time :(

Dex-chan lover
The role of Alya for Uesaka Sumire is basically like if the role was tailor suited to her. She is Japanese but learned the Russian language and attended university for Russian linguistics and culture.
Sheeeeet, a shame, she prolly had a C- on speaking :( or never been to russia and had some practice, speaks really bad, and I had known couple of japanese students who were learning russian and linguistic, and well, they still spoke poorly, made lot of mistakes, but nothing this bad.

(Not gonna lie, speaking different language is fucking hard, it is awkward, you are self conscious AF, make mistakes all the time, and hell, you are just not used to make all this foreign sounds!)

(And russian kind of has a lot of similar sounds to japanese, but here the thing, they are kind of alike and in reality hella different. Also there is the way you are used to stress vowels, the different ways of pronouncing consonants and etc.)

(Still, mad respect to VA even while the job is done poorly)

Dex-chan lover
I really wanna go to Japan and [gently] slap every mangaka for "silver hair blue eyes russian" trope) Most russians either brunets or hazelnut or natural blond hair color with some gingers and blondes on the fringes, and eyes are mostly hazelnut and grey with some green, hazelnut+green (my eyes color) and very little of blue eyes. This Silver hair blue eyes looks alien to every native, FFS we are not snow kings and queens here xD
nuh uh

Users who are viewing this thread