Tokidoki Bosotto Roshia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san - Ch. 42.5 - Special Oneshot

Dex-chan lover
I love how realistically the mangaka drew the VAs in this special chapter! Especially Sumire Uesaka, who very much resembles the other well-known character she voiced (Nagatoro-san), not only here, but IRL as well!
I noticed that too, all that was missing were the silver barrels for her hair and she would have looked like a grown-up Nagatoro...

Dex-chan lover
Based Sumipe. Taking on more Russian roles
Anastasia.(Idolmaster).full.2342612.jpg

UeSaka SumiRe

Group Leader
A more literal TL for 6 page in case y'all curious
RU: Он такой милый, когда серьёзно о чём-то думает!
EN: He's so cute when he thinks about something so seriously!
On page 10, I believe she actually refers to herself
RU: Я просто в этом ничего не понимаю!
EN: It's just that I don't understand anything about this!
Though, in general fellas did a good job. Thumbs up :chad:

Dex-chan lover
I should mention, as I did at the end of the previous chapter, that we don't translate the russian text and that it's best to ignore it. Russian and japanese are two wildly different languages, and while the russian text is direct with its meaning, the ultra literal translation of the jp text is something like "The reason for omitted topic is omitted subject doesn't know anything omitted predicate object" which just drops any indicator of what the subject is. Based on the context, it makes the most sense (in our opinion) that she is referring to his lack of knowledge about the flowers, "you're choosing those flowers? You gonna propose? Nah, it's because he doesn't know anything (about what the flowers mean)." rather than talking about her not knowing how a proposal is done or something like that. Also, the russian text has in the past, as commented by other russian spakers, been pointed out as being somewhat unreliable, also sometimes being completely different from what the jp raws say.

For these reasons, we'll stick with that translation unless there's some kind of overwhelming evidence to the latter. Fyi, the spanish translators used the same reasoning in their translation.
Ah, so you thought its her "teasing" him about his poor knowledge of flower language? Understandable then, though I still see it making less sense, but whatever. Maybe i will ping you once when I reread that part of novel, just to clarify.

Dex-chan lover
A more literal TL for 6 page in case y'all curious

On page 10, I believe she actually refers to herself

Though, in general fellas did a good job. Thumbs up :chad:
good question is did that had this meaning in authors head in japanese xD

Aggregator gang
Sheeeeet, a shame, she prolly had a C- on speaking :( or never been to russia and had some practice, speaks really bad, and I had known couple of japanese students who were learning russian and linguistic, and well, they still spoke poorly, made lot of mistakes, but nothing this bad.

(Not gonna lie, speaking different language is fucking hard, it is awkward, you are self conscious AF, make mistakes all the time, and hell, you are just not used to make all this foreign sounds!)

(And russian kind of has a lot of similar sounds to japanese, but here the thing, they are kind of alike and in reality hella different. Also there is the way you are used to stress vowels, the different ways of pronouncing consonants and etc.)

(Still, mad respect to VA even while the job is done poorly)
Also bear in mind the UNIVERSES of difference between Japanese (and other East Asian languages), and Indo-European languages (especially Slavic languages). One of the biggest impediment for the Japanese in learning Indo-European languages is that they have little-to-no differentiation between the European "R" and "L" sounds, which to their ears are the same; plus the "V" sound doesn't exist in Japanese, whereas in most Slavic lingos it's in darn near every other word. Also, Japanese think of word sounds in terms of syllables, almost all of which, except "-n", end in a vowel; so it's hard for Japanese beginners to not end every syllable with a vowel, which is why English loanwords sound so strange when spoken in Japanese ("Mirakuru romansu" for "miracle romance", and all that...).
And that's just Indo-European languages in general. Pile on top of that the peculiarities of Slavic languages, and you've got far more hurdles to encounter when trying to pronounce any Slavic language correctly when one isn't used to the various sound combinations (and yes, some Slavic languages are more formidable than others). And I won't even get into syntax, grammar, conjugation and the fact that Slavic languages don't use articles (like English a/an/the, at least none do to my knowledge)...

Aggregator gang
Thanks, but well, it was long ago, now I am wrinkled and tired looking)

edit: oh, also I am drunk AF on this photo, so yeah, I felt hot when too xD
You still look better than those freaking gopniks with the Adidas track suits... I swear, that's the new stereotype Americans have of Russians...
The "you" in that photo is indistinguishable from just about every college student in the Upper Midwest USA... messy hair, guzzling down a beer someplace. You'd fit right in at the University of Wisconsin... 😆🤣

Dex-chan lover
And I won't even get into syntax, grammar, conjugation and the fact that Slavic languages don't use articles (like English a/an/the, at least none do to my knowledge)...
They were part of the language, but in russian we ditched them somewhere around 15 century, when many other languages of the group kept them) We still do have some other archaic things like shit ton of grammatical cases) But in 14 century and earlier articles were a thing.
Pile on top of that the peculiarities of Slavic languages, and you've got far more hurdles to encounter when trying to pronounce any Slavic language correctly when one isn't used to the various sound combinations (and yes, some Slavic languages are more formidable than others).
Yep. If memory serves me right there is like 6 or 8 thousand sounds human throat can produce, and kids are able to make or learn pretty much anything, but to mature age it is set to the sounds your language has, and it's damn hard to learn new. Also, yeah, some slavic languages can produce BS on the level of Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz, which I can make some sence of and even pronounce quite well but still :)

However here is something which breaks the immersion of this case: Alya is bi-lingual. Bi-linguals usually able to pronounce both languages rather well, they make shit ton of mistakes in grammar, sometimes speak one of the languages somewhat a bit poorly than the other, but still on the very good level of "they have a bit of an accent but I can't recognise it". Here it breaks the immersion of the thing.

(oh, and also decades of abuse of russian made by hollywood makes us being quite dismissive to hearing our mothers tongue in foreign cinema xD )
You still look better than those freaking gopniks with the Adidas track suits... I swear, that's the new stereotype Americans have of Russians...
Well we do have them, and it is sad. However your average gopnik today looks a bit different, but still fugly :)
The "you" in that photo is indistinguishable from just about every college student in the Upper Midwest USA... messy hair, guzzling down a beer someplace. You'd fit right in at the University of Wisconsin... 😆🤣
Well, remove language barrier and people are not that different everywhere) (but yeah, young me would've felt at home in one of the most drunk states of US xD )

Users who are viewing this thread