Tokidoki Bosotto Roshia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - The Solitary Princess and Her Lazy Neighbour

Dex-chan lover
The translation of "Хотя, серьёзное выражение лица тебе идёт" seems to be off. If were to translate it, I would say "But serious expression fits you well". I wonder if it's the Japanese-to-English translation that is wrong, or Russian-to-Japanese translation.

YEAAAAAAAAAH!

I saw the promotional manga for the light novel a long while ago, and I loved it! I always wished the series was adapted into manga fully. Today, I was just scrolling and I found out that exists! I've read all the chapters translated so far, and I'm ecstatic to hear there is an anime in production! I can't wait to watch it! Keep up the good work, translators!

Power Uploader
The concept is actually REALLLY good, this has incredible potential. Don't fuck it up pls

Also MC-kun is just like me frfr
Learned English completely by watching movies. Now I'm confident that I can get an insanely high score in IELTS though I haven't even put 1% of the effort the rest of my classmates put into learning English.

Dex-chan lover
Alya's unfiltered Russian feels like that oneshot manga where FMC has a talking mouth right behind her head who speaks nothing but her innermost thoughts. Yes, to everyone. And yes, especially her crush, much to FMC's utter embarrassment.

Sincerity, is often pushed down from fear of rejection. And it goes on both sides, Alya's sweet oblivious Russian nothings and Kuze understanding every single word of it.

But it's these wacky straight-outta-romcom situations, and whatever shenanigans it might ensue, that could make even a grown man squeal internally. Let's gooooo 😭🗿🤍✨

Aggregator gang
What I nice opportunity to practice russian language. It was weird feeling, switching from english to russian back and forth in one manga. The stranger feeling than this one was only when I've found another manga translated to my native language (lithuanian).

Dex-chan lover
The russian is shockingly good (other than the typical typographical abomination, we leave the same amount of space between letters as english does, and we also use capital letters and punctuation, even with one letter sentences). Guess it's time to do my usual breakdown, however belated.

The disgusting part is more of a "[he's] disgusting", but the meaning carries well.
Cute should be cutie, the meaning is not damaged.
Idiot should definitely be replaced with dummy, "дурачок" is a diminutive version of the word for "fool", and is very soft as far as insults go. Next part of that panel is good, no errors.
As for the bottom panel of the same page, abysmally wrong, as outlined by flannan above.
Final instance of russian is done well once again, I'm struggling to find something to latch onto, like how "that" is merely contextually implied in the original sentence, but that's such a ridiculous thing to complain about in a translation.

I'm convinced they hired someone who properly knows the language for the russian text, because there's no errors, the sentences make sense, none of that "хара шоу" BS (for context, another manga with a russian-speaking character butchered the word "хорошо", producing the aforementioned abomination). I expected much worse, between how the language is usually treated in manga, and what little I read of the original novel having some issues in that department too.

Users who are viewing this thread