Tokidoki Bosotto Roshia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san - Vol. 2 Ch. 13 - Yuri Sisters, I Don't Dislike That. (6)

Dex-chan lover
But in Russia children usually call each other by their short names, am I wrong (at least it was so when I studied at school)? Do you imagine a kid calling another kid by their full name (Alexander, Ksenia?) - it sounds very unrealistic, it's too formal for them. So let's not forget these guys are like 15-16? It's normal for a boy calling a classmate by her short name, moreover they are already quite of acquaintances.
Kids do that, still it is extremely weird even for kids at this age to do that out of blue or impose without a (usually not) a good reason. Sorter and diminutive forms of names sometimes can be used to insult too. Like if a girl called Alisa do not want anyone to call her Alya - most of her friends would not call her like that. And shorter names goes for longer names, Alisa is quite short already xD Hell, from age 13 I would tell anyone you either call me Vladimir or Volodya and got extremely cross at any other forms. And it is like that to this day.
also in russia in informal situation people would tell you the form of the name they prefer to be called when everyone is getting to know each other, so it is not entirely without consent.

Dex-chan lover
So there was almost no russian in this chapter, except for two words. I guess the english version does have "he" while the russian version is just "saved me". Also if i remember right all those nicknames were correct, i guess she just reacted cuz her family calls her like that.

Dex-chan lover
Kids do that, still it is extremely weird even for kids at this age to do that out of blue or impose without a (usually not) a good reason. Sorter and diminutive forms of names sometimes can be used to insult too. Like if a girl called Alisa do not want anyone to call her Alya - most of her friends would not call her like that. And shorter names goes for longer names, Alisa is quite short already xD Hell, from age 13 I would tell anyone you either call me Vladimir or Volodya and got extremely cross at any other forms. And it is like that to this day.
also in russia in informal situation people would tell you the form of the name they prefer to be called when everyone is getting to know each other, so it is not entirely without consent.
I also think it isn't weird given the entire premise of this series is that the MC is super informed of how the Russian language works I don't think its him being rude and more so asking permission to call her that because he wants to be closer to her, He literally says "can I have the right to call you Alya" and she agrees afterall so like you said its consentual.

Dex-chan lover
You'd think Alisa would notice that he can understand Russian given the whole nickname thing at the end there, of course you can chalk it up to him just knowing a random fact. But I do find it funny that didn't tip her off.

Dex-chan lover
No one?
just-the-tip-archer.gif

Dex-chan lover
Oooook. So a bit of a russia-thing trivia. Nicknames are a thing in russia, but they are mostly (yong) male (who try to be hip) thing or of criminal background and most of the time is an improper thing to call each other. When russian first names (even those loaned from other cultures like greek-roman or norse) they have meaning and like about 12 different forms either as slight alteration of name, shorter version or diminutive form. (Like name Vladimir has froms of Vovka, Vova, Volodya, Vovochka, Volodyuka among others, same with Alisa as Alechka, Alya, Aliska, Ala and ect.) They are the thing for close relations, i.e. friends, family, lovers. Usually (well most of the time) consent goes from the person itself and it's extremely impolite to impose it on someone who is not your friend or closer. Now russian is extremely polite when it comes to names. Calling someone by surname is impolite, a good way to offend and get into trouble, in formal speech to call someone by just name or surname is to purposely insult the person, you should use the first name with a patronim instead. Only people on equal footing and in non formal situation and being at the very least acquaintances can call each other by first names.

So the whole thing in the chapter is our MC being a bit of an ass toward person of other culture.
Your info must be outdated.
It would be really weird for classmates to address each other by name+patronymic. This level of respect is normally reserved for people who you would call with "-sama" or "-sensei" in Japanese.
In Soviet movies, classmates would call each other by family name, but IRL, they usually call each other by names and nicknames.
Using diminutives (like Alechka) is equivalent to using "-chan" in Japanese, and is likely to cause offense. But most other short forms are popular as nicknames.
Hell, from age 13 I would tell anyone you either call me Vladimir or Volodya and got extremely cross at any other forms. And it is like that to this day.
I think that's extremely stuffy of you.
Cheeki breeki iv damke! Play hardbass song by the fire blyat!
Wow, you're using Russian words almost correctly. Good job!
It should be "Cheeki breeki i v damki! Play hardbass song by the fire, blyat!"
So there was almost no russian in this chapter, except for two words. I guess the english version does have "he" while the russian version is just "saved me". Also if i remember right all those nicknames were correct, i guess she just reacted cuz her family calls her like that.
In Russian, words have grammatical gender. So we know that the one who "saved" is male (at least grammatically).
Alya often speaks in incomplete sentences in Russian, but the language itself is more resilient to this kind of treatment.

Dex-chan lover
In Russian, words have grammatical gender. So we know that the one who "saved" is male (at least grammatically).
Alya often speaks in incomplete sentences in Russian, but the language itself is more resilient to this kind of treatment.
As a russian i do know about that but also as a russian i sometimes forget that english doesn't have gendered words. Still sometimes i wish that the author made better russian.

Dex-chan lover
LOL you can tell it's a manga. The real world outcome would have her shaking her head, yelling at all of them how misogynistic their assumptions were and then storming off - including aiming at the MC. But that's escapism for you.

Dex-chan lover
LOL you can tell it's a manga. The real world outcome would have her shaking her head, yelling at all of them how misogynistic their assumptions were and then storming off - including aiming at the MC. But that's escapism for you.
It's not like IRL women all have the same personality and always stay in the same mood.
In this case, it looks like she aimed to get MC to invite her to dance when she said she'll fulfill any wish of his, so she was receptive.
But if MC did not say he already invited her, she would likely have said something bad to them, yes.

Dex-chan lover
Let's goooooo anime adaptation, also thanks for the TL

This along with angel next door will be in my watch list
Hopefully the anime adaptation of this goes better than The Angel Next Door. At least for me, anyways. I found the web novel interesting and sweet to read, went to watch the anime adaption and I didn't get the same feeling. Was actually a little boring to watch instead of read.

This has much more going on in it so I'm sure this anime adaption will probably be better but still.

Dex-chan lover
Woah, not like the author can read this comment here but congrats on the adaptation!

Power Uploader
I knew that the anime is on the way but Sumire Uesaka is voicing Alya? Holy shit, can't wait to hear Russian in Nagatoro's voice.

That reminds me, when Alya asked Kuze to put stockings on her legs, that is literally a chapter from Nagatoro lmaooooo

Imagine Sumire Uesaka having to voice two "putting stockings on a character" scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread