Tokyo Ghoul:re - Vol. 16 Ch. 179 - Song of the Goat

Dex-chan lover
All of :Re was a goddamn mess. I've always thought of the true end of the series being TG with :Re as fanfic for the people who couldn't stomach the original.
I can't tell if Ishida was forced into making :Re or what but just lots of missed opportunity and things that could have been done for the better. For example in TG we get introduced to the concept that Kakuho could be farmed from ghouls with high enough regenerative abilities, then that Kakuja are insanely rare and could be harvested to produce Quinque Armor-types. There is absolutely no reason why CCG wouldn't just harvest Kaneki at that point.

More stuff that got foreshadowed was the concept that people Kaneki 'ate' he had hallucinations of. Even in TG this seemed to be true, and at the end of TG:Re Kaneki sees every person he ever ate. Why not in TG:Re the Q's have hallucinations of their own counterpart. Haise could have been a giant red herring until we find out that Kaneki is hidden in Cochlea being farmed as a guinea pig. This would've reinforced why Haise would want to do the prison-break beyond saving Hinami. We also could have begun to CARE about Haise instead of him being a throwaway persona. Also the Q's needed more time to get developed. None of them got anywhere NEAR the development of the original cast, or any OC :Re character in fact. The loss of fodder characters every arc also led to this problem. People would get a chapter of development and then get killed off for shock value. I really don't care if you want them to die as an author but don't be so eager about it. Let them have their moment to shine and stew for a little while before jumping to that action.

And on that note, every arc didn't need to be the size of Anteiku raid. Too goddamn many bloated arcs with disposable characters who all die by the end of the arc. I'm looking at you Rose arc. Hell even the first main arc with the Auction scrapped a bunch of fodder that were being developed. We also don't need dramatic monologues in the middle of every fight and then Kaneki 'changing' mid-fight to overcome his opponent saying something edgy while his hair turns a new color. This happened once in TG and like four times (?) in :Re.

I think Ishida also fucked up by having Furuta at the end of TG. The more I thought about it the less sense it makes. Why would Kaneki recall some randy clown he's never met just because he's dying. Wouldn't it have made more sense for the person to have dropped the beams to have been Arima? Y'know because he was working on Kanou's orders. Also that he would remember Arima's face now because he just now met him again and would think 'I remember him from before'. Furuta got spoiled so fucking fast because of this stuff. Not like he was a decent character to begin with but still.

And don't even get me started on how much of a stale brick Suzuya was this entire time. No character development at all, he was such a fun character we saw go from a heartless monster to someone who was more human by the end of TG. He just seems like a robot here.

@Asingh89
ca2453db0b.jpg

Group Leader
Never understood any of this, it was such a mess, so many names that made no sense past some point, I don't even know or remember 70% of the names in this last chapter.
It's been a huge "this guy, that guy, this guy, that guy, this one died in the small corner room the manga blew past, etc" I didn't even know who was alive or dead, so many people being resurrected, brought back from knows where, who died when, who is who, this guy is in fact a guy from that faction who's from that faction in this faction of the faction of this guy's team, etc.

Couldn't bring myself to care at some point. I was going thru some chapters without even reading names anymore, didn't even know them.

Double-page supporter
What a lackluster end to the series. it had a lot of potential but it seemed Ishida Sui didn't know what he was doing while writing :re ; he was all over the place. Anyways, at least we got some semblance of closure in the final chapter even if it was just a long series of text boxes.

Dex-chan lover
I watched the anime, then read manga from where it left off just so I could read chapter 125 of re, what can I say I just love when characters fuck.

Here is what I can say, the first manga was management, I could somewhat remember all the characters and keep track of everything that was going on.

After finishing the manga, I went ahead and watched the anime re. I wouldn't recommend it I was so fucking lost but I just mainly rushed through the serious skipping alot of shit I didnt like then went back to new manga re.

The only good thing about re was the fluffy feelings of the main characters fucking and their kid at the end. I wouldn't keep up with names and the story kept jumping between different characters chapter after chapter.

Overall I will say it was worth the read / watch just dont bother with any anime after the first season (dont watch re) just read read you might be able to intake the information better that way.

I dont think im the only one who just gave up remembering names and just skim through the pages. Glad to see we have a good ending though LOL

@shoker
Nah, It wouldn't make any sense if Arima was the one who dropped the beams.
That time Arima is working together with Eto as Aogiri's One Eyed King, While Furuta already started to help Kanou's objective to break the birdcage and use ghoul power for medicine, That's why the ending endup by having some medical treatment based on Dragon Kakuja.

Dex-chan lover
@Vonless
The point was that it didn't make sense for Kaneki to recall who dropped the beams at that point in time since it had nothing to do with his current predicament. It was just bad writing because the Author, just simply decided that it needed to be that moment for him to suddenly remember everything and tried to make it a big shock. It would've made sense if there was some reason for that memory to be recalled, such as him meeting the same person again.
Because it's not like it was the first time Kaneki had a near-death experience since that seemed to be the stimulus. Amnesia is bullshit in writing through and through.

@shoker
I'm undestand your point, It's don't have correlation with the fight between Kaneki & Arima, But i think it's okay cause he's the victim on that incedent, The Author already strengthen steel beam incident by reveal that Furuta is Souta, Also there no way Rize be the one who reveal about that since she in crazy state. I know Kaneki's character development is long-winded and monotone, Even in this chapter Kaneki still naive af.

I don't have any problem with the main story, But there so much potential in this manga, Idk why the author decided to rush the ending even though the ending just like what i expected from the story. Everything seems to be don't have any conclusion because the author didn't give confirmation, And we end up make assumption from the clue that he left in this manga. I'm also getting tired of fake deaths in this manga, And so many character end up with long-winded character development.

Double-page supporter
@Vonless He suffered from overworking and depression. Basically, he just wanted to finish this for the sake of finishing. He said that he won't draw manga anymore at least for a long time so we shouldn't looking forward to his next work. I don't blame him since the manga industry's working condition is terrible and the fans are also horrible (sending death threat, telling him to suicide, burning the manga, etc.)

Maybe I'm just bad at recognizing faults in writing or something, judging by all the other comments here, but I really liked this :re. I do agree with everyone saying that there were too many names, I just got really confused at the last few volumes.

Dex-chan lover
I'm still surprised that Hide was alive all along. And that Kaneki never inquired about him, it's not like he ate a lot of Hide in hindsight, he could have known that he was still alive.

Took me almost over a year to finally finish the last 20 chapters after losing interest. I really just dont like where the story ended up going. Everything post the formation of GOAT felt rushed or half baked. I especially dislike V and how 1 note and generic bad they were. Previously both sides Ghoul and CCG / Humans were grey with each side having their reasons for despising the other but it feels like all that was thrown out the window in favor of an easier conclusion. Also feels extremely convenient how this ended. Honestly kind of disappointed but I still believe the first story and the first half of Re are good and worth the read in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread