Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san - Vol. 8 Ch. 86 - Our Daily Lives

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for powering through it and finishing this.

The ending was fine, not really sure what else to expect from a slice of life ending. Some SoL series try to set up some silly final drama, but it's more fitting to just leave it with them going on with their same lives somewhere.

Dex-chan lover
The ending kinda came out of nowhere, but these slice-of-life manga are never about the ending anyway so it's fine.

That being said, it's always nice when a series gets translated to completion. Thanks for all the work, Piime.

Dex-chan lover
It's over. Hope you enjoyed reading this. Some parts of my translation I'm not entirely satisfied with but that was to be expected.
Recognizing there's stuff you can improve even though I can't see anything shows to me that you're good at what you do. Thanks for the TL!

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the translation.

It feels to me like this manga didn't so much end as just... stop. And it feels like an axe but it's more like it seems like the mangaka was phoning it in towards the end. Like Amatou just got bored of writing it or something.

What makes this sting for me in particular is that it wasn't just a slice of life story. It was also a vampire narrative interweaved with one, with some big existential/plot questions hanging overhead and some... well, fangs. The narrative eventually just lost interest in addressing the former and just plain lost the latter. (Remember when Ellie seemed like a potentially dangerous X factor?)

This story really deserved better, but ending stopping is still preferable to the writer forcing themselves to continue to write something they seemingly lost their passion for.

Dex-chan lover
so weird how much of this was referencing their time being limited since the girls were mortal, only for it to have no value in the end

Dex-chan lover
The ending was disappointing. Chekhov's vampirification was set early on and brought up a few times throughout the rest of the manga, but was just ignored in the final volume.

Akari got vampirified and they lived happily ever after the ending (copium) :haa:

Thanks for translating, it was a fun series :hearts:

Dex-chan lover
Akari got vampirified and they lived happily ever after the ending (copium) :haa:

I'd argue it's not even copium, it's the only ending that makes sense as a payoff. From the start of the series there's this big sense Akari doesn't fit in among humans. (even alarming the vampires somewhat)

And the fact Sophie and Ellie struggled to concretely imagine what Akari's future even was compared to the others I think indicates both knew on some level -- her future is to share eternity with them and neither of them were ready to wholly accept it.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for translating Piime!
Even if it ended on a blah, like I feared it would, I really enjoyed the trip and the work you put in.

If you're looking for something else yuri to translate, why not Kanamemo? Lazy Lily suddenly abandoned it 5 years ago with just a few volumes left, so you might be able to get the raws from them if you ask.

Fed-Kun's army
That was in fact very abrupt of an ending. They did a bit with Homura and Sakuya/Yuu to wrap it up but it really felt sudden; If it hadn't been made explicitly clear by this chapter I'd of expected there was more.

Thank you for your work translating it, Piime.

Dex-chan lover
And the fact Sophie and Ellie struggled to concretely imagine what Akari's future even was compared to the others I think indicates both knew on some level -- her future is to share eternity with them and neither of them were ready to wholly accept it.
Yeah, this was an undercurrent the story had that went nowhere. As someone said earlier, it seems the author just lost interest and gave up. A shame, really.

Dex-chan lover
It's over damn feels like a weird ending but im happy what we got

Dex-chan lover
It's over T___T
Thank you for completing this, dear translator team

Dex-chan lover
A low key ending but it's been a very enjoyable and absurdly cute road here. Thanks for translating.

Now, why can't I can't find an Ellie figure anywhere. I need that cuteness.

Supporter
I'd argue it's not even copium, it's the only ending that makes sense as a payoff. From the start of the series there's this big sense Akari doesn't fit in among humans. (even alarming the vampires somewhat)

I feel like Sophie already finds Akari or Ellie a bit much on their own. I don't know if she's ready to have BOTH of their company for the rest of eternity. I guess she'll have to learn to cherish the relative quiet when Ellie goes into torpor.

Users who are viewing this thread