Tonari no Onee-san ga Suki - Vol. 3 Ch. 35 - I like you, Shia-san

Dex-chan lover
Reading this chapter really shows how awful the writing in other romcom/harem mangas out there lol.

I'm not even exaggerating, it's incredible how a simple act of making the main character in a story like this NOT a self-insert/wish-fulfilment fantasy really elevate the story and romantic chemistry between the characters.

The fact that this manga only have a 8.39 rating is baffling. A damning evidence for the audience who read romcom mangas.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Reading this chapter really shows how awful the writing in other romcom/harem mangas out there lol.

I'm not even exaggerating, it's incredible how a simple fact of making the main character in a story like this NOT a self-insert/wish-fulfilment fantasy really elevate the story and romantic chemistry between the characters.
Like I constantly critisize in many of the other romcoms, you can definitely have good writing and a good plot/characters/characterisation. Problem is people like the trash reading so why would mangaka's try when their worst keeps them published.

Dex-chan lover

I'm not even exaggerating, it's incredible how a simple fact of making the main character in a story like this NOT a self-insert/wish-fulfilment fantasy really elevate the story and romantic chemistry between the characters.

The fact that this manga only have a 8.39 rating is baffling. A damning evidence for the audience who read romcom mangas.
The biggest issue I've seen in RomCom manga is the "misunderstanding" cliche that drives huge arcs where characters DON'T COMMUNICATE and it results in them (tearfully) clearing the air at the end, but ends up driving away reader due to the forced nature of the drama.

What helps here is that our fellow MC is WAY more proactive in his attempt to understand his love interest.

Dex-chan lover
I gotta commend this mangaka. 35 chapters in and we already have a confession.

While in Rent-a-Girlfriend, the same cuck keeps spinning his wheels in the same 50 chapter arc which resets and repeats like a Non Committed Alcoholic in AA.
Kazuya be like: confession nah bro let me imagine my crush getting fucked by stranger in multiple positions just so i can have boner in swimming pool.

goddamnit, I'm very proud of my boy, he has more development that most of the other character in his entire story

Dex-chan lover
This is such a breath of fresh air for the rom-com manga.
A drama that got resolved the next 2 chapters. Everything have consequences. No forced conflict.

Double-page supporter

I'm not even exaggerating, it's incredible how a simple act of making the main character in a story like this NOT a self-insert/wish-fulfilment fantasy really elevate the story and romantic chemistry between the characters.

I'd say that more than people liking shit romcoms not liking this one is a problem more in what people search in said romcoms.
Can't talk about every person that likes cliche-ish romcoms that bases the entire plot in the same tropes, but from personal experience and from some people I know, said self-insert and tropes makes a safe net where you can always go there and get something easy to read and disconnect for a while.

Personally I'd also say that this manga being more in the niche side or not being recognized more is something kinda good, it makes it shine better and being more memorable for those who get the appeal for this lol

The thing that really gets me about this series and why I think it does so well with its premise is that despite the age gap Shia's not really much more mature than Tasuku. Like yeah she's bigger than him (and all her friends) but she has just as long of a way to go towards being a real adult as he does.

Users who are viewing this thread