Torima Minshuku Yadori-teki na! - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
isnt it oka-san? im just asking, i dont know any japanese, just picking stuff up from anime

I wonder which form she used?
Mama or kaa-san or something else?

Answer:

the entire gag hinges on the subtle difference between お母さん and 奥さん (okaa-san // oku-san), where the first one is "mother," and the latter being "madam/ma'am", which is the most commonly accepted way to address the proprietress/okami of a Japanese inn in the second person. There's rich cultural nuances as to when oku-san is also used in other cases other than when staying at an inn, but is beside the discussion right now.

For some clarification, it would be like if you were a regular at a locally owned establishment and you know the owner/manager personally through your patronage. You wouldn't be obtuse and refer to them as "Mr. Manager/Owner" when calling to them in the second person, but at the same time you might not want to call them by their first name. Instead, you might choose to use something like "bossman," which affirms your familiarity with them and reinforces the patronal relationship at the same time.

Dex-chan lover
Answer:

Thank you, it's interesting to learn about the incredibly nuanced cultural context about honorifics in japan.
As a side note, we sort of have a similar history about titles in my country (Sweden) as well, though not as nuanced as in japan and also these days it has gone away.

Wait a fucking minute...

She's 34, her son just entered University, so let's assume the minimum and say he's 18, 34 - 18 = 16, so she got pregnant at 15...
Yikes, it must've been hard, especially since it's " Parent's " house, not " Parents' " as in his dad probably bailed or died.

Edit: I'm fucking retarded, I think I'm illiterate cause holy God that was stupid.

Dex-chan lover
Answer:

the entire gag hinges on the subtle difference between お母さん and 奥さん (okaa-san // oku-san), where the first one is "mother," and the latter being "madam/ma'am", which is the most commonly accepted way to address the proprietress/okami of a Japanese inn in the second person. There's rich cultural nuances as to when oku-san is also used in other cases other than when staying at an inn, but is beside the discussion right now.

For some clarification, it would be like if you were a regular at a locally owned establishment and you know the owner/manager personally through your patronage. You wouldn't be obtuse and refer to them as "Mr. Manager/Owner" when calling to them in the second person, but at the same time you might not want to call them by their first name. Instead, you might choose to use something like "bossman," which affirms your familiarity with them and reinforces the patronal relationship at the same time.
Thanks for the information. Learned another new thing today.

So far these seems like a cute series. Hoping to see how it plays out.

Users who are viewing this thread