Touhou Suichouka ~ Lotus Eater-tachi no Suisei - Ch. 53 - To Wait for Good Fortune Is to Wait for a Drink (Part 1)

I am still not clear on the mechanism of the "secret arts". So Miko can read the flow of other people's fortune? Makes sense. But how does this relate to misfortune being poured on someone else? Clearly i need to read more gambling mangas

Miko sure will regret this once she thinks she has all the youkai rounded up, only for a certain newspaper to release compromising pictures of her and Byakuren together.

Dex-chan lover
I am still not clear on the mechanism of the "secret arts". So Miko can read the flow of other people's fortune? Makes sense. But how does this relate to misfortune being poured on someone else? Clearly i need to read more gambling mangas
From my understanding, this mini arc can be summer up with:
  • Miko wants to expose youkai that have gotten too comfy in the Human Village
  • She can hear (read) desires and therefore fortunes, but can't change them
  • Futo can change the flow or fortune (with Feng Shui) but can't see it
  • Together they had Futo manipulate the fortunes of all the people in the Gambling Den towards Miko. So Miko would keep winning and everyone else kept losing. This isn't 100% though so with Miko seeing the fortune she can tell when not to bet
  • Additionally she seems to have siphoned the fortune of whoever infiltrated the Mausoleum (Suika) into Miko (or maybe just removed Suika's fortune) so that Suika would get caught in her trap

Dex-chan lover
I know luck can be subjective, so people can preceive it in different ways. But I always find it strange that despite being supposedly lucky, Reimu always gets the short end of the stick in most situations.
Perhaps it only applies to battle and incident solving?

Dex-chan lover
I know luck can be subjective, so people can preceive it in different ways. But I always find it strange that despite being supposedly lucky, Reimu always gets the short end of the stick in most situations.
Perhaps it only applies to battle and incident solving?
I think in Wild and Horned Hermit, it is mentioned that Reimu only win when she's not overconfidence after Kasen is cheering her to win. Maybe that's why?

So only unconsciously.

Aggregator gang
Reimu has selective good fortune, its likely meant for Youkai extermination and not petty worldy affairs like gambling, as much as our lovable broke miko would like otherwise.

And, its great to see the cutest taoist get more screen time, Futo best girl.

Dex-chan lover
More like Reimu's good fortune is karmic. Whenever she tries to use her luck for personal gain, it turns around and bites her ass.

About using someone's fortune, I don't understand. Did Miko steal some of Suika's luck even before she was caught?

Dex-chan lover
I'm still hoping Tewi's here. I mean, if we mix the keywords "Touhou" and "Fortune", the character we'll get is no other than Tewi.

The rabbit probably tried to swindle Miko, got caught, imprisoned, and got her fortune used up – and Suika's talking with her right now.
I'd be thinking more of a certain celestial whose luck is so vast that she has a literal god of misfortune as a hanger-on to no ill effect.

Dex-chan lover
If what Miko says is true and Reimu's good fortune comes from unconsciously sending prayers to the gods, it makes sense this would only apply as long as her situation is actually serious, and when she gets complacent or greedy she either forgets to keep praying or the gods simply roll their eyes and stop listening.

There's also the question of what constitutes good fortune. Whenever Reimu has too much money, she gets lazy and useless. It's not actually good for her to be rich. Which means her "good fortune" should also entail losing money when she has too much of it.

Users who are viewing this thread