Tsuihou Bokensha no Yarinaoshi ~Yousei-kai de Kitae Naoshite Jibun no Ibasho wo Tsukuru~ - Vol. 3 Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
Those are not two-handed (or even hand and a half) swords. Those are barely even arming swords. They're closer to short swords, imho, which makes pretty much the entire combat sequence wrong. Either they should have been wielding the blades one handed (and potentially using an off-hand weapon/shield), or (more likely) they should have had much longer (maybe 2 or more feet!) swords.

Dex-chan lover
Those are not two-handed (or even hand and a half) swords. Those are barely even arming swords. They're closer to short swords, imho, which makes pretty much the entire combat sequence wrong. Either they should have been wielding the blades one handed (and potentially using an off-hand weapon/shield), or (more likely) they should have had much longer (maybe 2 or more feet!) swords.
Not that I don't agree, but ignorant manga artist do this all the time, and I don't just mean the correct use of a sword. You can frequently see manga with characters guns firing projectiles, bullet, casing and all at each other.

And that doesn't even touch on how utterly incompetent some are when they have to describe such esoteric topics like trade, economics, government, or heaven forbida romantic relationship. So unless the mangaka or their editor is an otaku on a given subject, don't expect them to get it right on a subject you geek out over. Few if any do the research on what they write about, unless it's food or easily accessible outside their apartment.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Not that I don't agree, but ignorant manga artist do this all the time, and I don't just mean the correct use of a sword. You can frequently see manga with characters guns firing projectiles, bullet, casing and all at each other.

And that doesn't even touch on how utterly incompetent some are when they have to describe such esoteric topics like trade, economics, government, or heaven forbida romantic relationship. So unless the mangaka or their editor is an otaku on a given subject, don't expect them to get it right on a subject you geek out over. Few if any do the research on what they write about, unless it's food or easily accessible outside their apartment.
I understand that it's because they don't really understand the things they're writing about and drawing, and it's not even that I expect them to get it perfectly correct, it's more that what they've made looks utterly ridiculous, and pretty much exclusively because they're unfamiliar with the topics and as a result make completely incorrect assumptions. It's not just about geeking out, it's about the quality of the thing that was made.

What I'm suggesting is not that you shouldn't make stuff about topics which you have not extensively studied, but more that if you're going to make a medieval fantasy story, and you're going to have your characters wielding swords, perhaps look up some reference material first so that you have a half decent idea about what things were really like and what the period weaponry was instead of making it up with absolutely no idea what you're doing (frankly, I even have a problem with the leaf shape, but I'll allow that because fantasy materials and setting and artistic freedom).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Those are not two-handed (or even hand and a half) swords. Those are barely even arming swords.
It's funny how artists usually go overboard in the other direction by making the swords extremely large, often not even long, but bulky, blocky, with barely enough hilt to hold onto them, let alone provide any counterbalance.
Few if any do the research on what they write about
What kills me is the bottomless confidence they have when presenting stuff that's blatantly inaccurate, plain wrong, or clearly made up, as if they were sure they got it right (or that nobody would find out they didn't).
It's one thing to be ignorant about something and trying to downplay it, but to flimsily tackle it head-on without fear... I don't get how it can be so commonplace, too.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's not just about geeking out, it's about the quality of the thing that was made.
Please don't think I disagree, I only ment that the audience wouldn't understand the distinction either. I need no further evidence then the existence of the Mall Ninja culture and the industry that feed them and the horrible way they spread their misinformation.
What kills me is the bottomless confidence they have when presenting stuff that's blatantly inaccurate, plain wrong, or clearly made up, as if they were sure they got it right (or that nobody would find out they didn't).
It's one thing to be ignorant about something and trying to downplay it, but to flimsily tackle it head-on without fear... I don't get how it can be so commonplace, too.
From your description it sounds like they would have a passable career in politics...

Though I will say that sounds awfully like the saying "fake it, till you make it."

Dex-chan lover

This reminds me of a cover for the Jack of All Trades LN, where the FMC seems to be holding her bow from the end, with an arrow in the other hand, like she's about draw it.

Dex-chan lover
Think
This reminds me of a cover for the Jack of All Trades LN, where the FMC seems to be holding her bow from the end, with an arrow in the other hand, like she's about draw it.
my favorite were the afore mentioned guns that fired unspent ammunition and thrown grenades that exploded despite still having their pins in. Almost positive it was from the same manga as well.

Bows that are fired without a string is another you frequently see as well. Though guess that's easier to forgive since the string can be hard to see at times. Still kind of silly when it's an image of the character's upper torso and they're sighting down an arrow.

Users who are viewing this thread