Tsuki 50 Man Moratte mo Ikigai no Nai Tonari no Onēsan ni 30 Man de Yatowa Rete `Okaeri. Kyō mo Ganbatta ne’ tte Iu Oshigoto ga Totemo Tanoshī - Vol.…

Dex-chan lover
I wrote in a comment before this one that I already understand the reason and even agreed in this comment that yes it works to drive the point home. However, my main issue is that it comes across as lazy. There are better ways this could have been shown (a Scottish accent perhaps:finnawoke:).

Also, it’s not strictly mentioned in the credits, but Dortex is a big fan of MTL. Knowing this, and the fact it’s untranslated, lends me to believe that he couldn’t get his Magic Translation device to work.
I just wanted to point out that some dialects are so hard to discern that you really can't just pick out bits and a pieces of what is being said, not unless you have some prior experience, they're just THAT different, and it's really hard to convey that in English since there aren't many well known equivalents. A Scottish accent is feasible as an idea, since it's probably one of the closest in this way from an English language perspective, but not many people are familiar with how to accurately convey on in written form, so that's both a big ask and would lead to what would feel like an equally lazy translation. There's also the feasible reality that the original translation is in fact actual jibberish the author put in to make a point (meaning no translation exists,) but that's just speculation on my part.

Aggregator gang
I just wanted to point out that some dialects are so hard to discern that you really can't just pick out bits and a pieces of what is being said, not unless you have some prior experience, they're just THAT different, and it's really hard to convey that in English since there aren't many well known equivalents. A Scottish accent is feasible as an idea, since it's probably one of the closest in this way from an English language perspective, but not many people are familiar with how to accurately convey on in written form, so that's both a big ask and would lead to what would feel like an equally lazy translation. There's also the feasible reality that the original translation is in fact actual jibberish the author put in to make a point (meaning no translation exists,) but that's just speculation on my part.
The untranslated panels are not jibberish, they are readable and understandable. So the TL had two ways to approach this; either leave it untranslated to get the point across, or translate it in a fashion of accent and slang combination to drive the point across. Personally both approaches are valid, but I can also understand the confusion and frustration of not having everything translated.

For example, if this manga gets officially translated to english then those panels will get an english translation, they won’t be kept in japanese.

Even as a fairly novice japanese reader I could still read the bubbles (though I could immediately tell that if I were to actually hear someone speak that way I would probably miss out half of what is being said).

I wrote in a comment before this one that I already understand the reason and even agreed in this comment that yes it works to drive the point home. However, my main issue is that it comes across as lazy. There are better ways this could have been shown (a Scottish accent perhaps:finnawoke:).

Also, it’s not strictly mentioned in the credits, but Dortex is a big fan of MTL. Knowing this, and the fact it’s untranslated, lends me to believe that he couldn’t get his Magic Translation device to work.
Sorry, but he isn't a huge fan of machine translation. He mostly uses it for reference at most

Last edited:
Group Leader

It is not gibberish. If I were translating it, I probably would not have done it this way. It's closer to Singlish or Hawaiian Pidgin. I wouldn't envy the person translating it though.

Last edited:
Group Leader

Hi, I'm the team leader so I know how each of the Orchid translators work. I can assure you, Dortex uses MTL to revise, and improve, his translations. He understands the language, and I would appreciate it if you didn't speculate idly. I agreed with him that this was a good way to express her confusion to the readers. If I had told him to translate it, he would have done it

Dortex is always open to constructive criticism, so you can talk directly with him on our Discord server at any time.

The untranslated panels are not jibberish, they are readable and understandable. So the TL had two ways to approach this; either leave it untranslated to get the point across, or translate it in a fashion of accent and slang combination to drive the point across. Personally both approaches are valid, but I can also understand the confusion and frustration of not having everything translated.

For example, if this manga gets officially translated to english then those panels will get an english translation, they won’t be kept in japanese.

Even as a fairly novice japanese reader I could still read the bubbles (though I could immediately tell that if I were to actually hear someone speak that way I would probably miss out half of what is being said).
Exactly. Honestly, I thought the former approach was better seeing as this is from her perspective. I think it gets just how confused she is across to the reader better.

Dex-chan lover
I wouldn't translate that stuff either if I were the translator. Even though I do understand what they were saying.

Dex-chan lover

It is not gibberish. If I were translating it, I probably would not have done it this way. It's closer to Singlish or Hawaiian Pidgin. I wouldn't envy the person translating it though.
Never intended to say it actually was gibberish, was just making a point that some authors will use actual gibberish when trying to make a point about confusing lingo, especially if they're not very familiar with the eccentricities of the dialect they're trying to convey

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation. I agree leaving the panels untranslated is a great way to show Mio's confusion. Also only two chapters to wrap this up seems tight.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
There are better ways this could have been shown (a Scottish accent perhaps:finnawoke:).

A Scottish accent is feasible as an idea, since it's probably one of the closest in this way from an English language perspective,
Nope. The best convey what was happening, it needed to be a native English dialect associated with rural living that's also completely incomprehensible. English doesn't have those. If I change it to an accent problem, it's still an issue, because English doesn't have such impenetrably thick accents either. Scottish accents aren't the result of some drift in pronunciation, it's the influence of Scottish Gaelic. So even if I changed it to an accent issue, the scene changed from not understanding a native dialect, to not understanding a foreign accent (Which itself is influenced by a foreign language).

Fact is, everything they say sounds like complete gibberish (Everything but SVO, the Kanji, and Katakana is 100% different from standard Japanese). I can either clearly convey her confusion, or turn it into an accent problem, leaving everyone in the audience wondering why she's having so much trouble understanding them. The only third option is to make up my own brand of gibberish. And why would I do that? It chucks out everything in the page, and replaces it with absolutely nothing of value.
If you really wanted to know, you could have come on the server and asked, you know. I welcome critics! Gramps was remarking that Yuuji brought home a girlfriend, grans was scolding gramps for not greeting her, then giving Mio a warm welcome, then finally scolding Yuuji about preparing the nabe (I think).

After that, Gramps was ordering Bream for the nabe, but they apparently didn't have enough for six people, so he asked for meat.

That invitation from Tulip was sincere So is mine. Hop on by, bud!

Users who are viewing this thread