Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Rejected as a Hero

Thank you for the high res, but please use a different font. Do not emulate /ak/'s terrible typesetter.

Dex-chan lover
Great to see such a nice scan of this manga. Thank you.

Also, No goddess could be as much of a bro as Tsukuyomi.

Dex-chan lover
@Bevinsky actually, they go all over the place with fonts, changing styles all the time. I'm using Times New Roman for most things, and it's a pretty standard font, in my opinion. The font is changed for the Goddess speech, to show how pompous she is, and also to monster speech (Like Rizur and Black Spider) and screams (which uses Comic Sans Bold), Ah, I also change the font to Tahoma initially for Ema and orcs because Makoto has difficulty understanding their speech at the beginning, but in chapter three it goes back to Times after he says he got used to. Ah, and I'm using another font, the Monotype Corsiva, for Makoto's magic writing (which will come when I launch Volume 2). I don't really see what is your problem with fonts.

Group Leader
if the font comes default on your computer you shouldn't typeset with it. especially fonts like times new roman, that's something better suited for a newspaper article than a manga, which is why you'll never see it or a serif font like it used as a default font in any comic book or localized manga's dialogue.

here's a general guide for getting into typesetting
https://mangadex.org/title/43627/anonblack-s-typesetting-guide

@Ant1989

Times New Roman is a standard font - for newspapers and other printed body copy. It should not be used for comics. I'm being brusque, but there is no debate about this.

Look at Fusang's link. AnonBlack's guide is top notch.

Dex-chan lover
@Fusang sincerely, I think you're nitpicking. I took a look at the link and most of what he says I do, but I don't even have those fonts he talks about in the photoshop. While I admit that most of the screams use the same normal font, I usually try to do something, like making it bold, or bigger. And the small texts use the same font as well, but small usually size 12-14 while the normal text uses 18, this I might change to normal writing instead of all in caps lock. I don't belong to a scanlator and have no pre-standardized fonts, but I'm trying to make things consistent.

Group Leader
it's hardly nitpicking, it's basic typesetting
seeing someone unironically typeset in times new roman or arial just screams low quality

i can also send you fonts if you'd like

@Ant1989
I'm sorry, but pointing out bad font choices for typesetting is not nitpicking. You should not be using either TNR or Comic Sans for anything scanlation related.
Honestly, the rest of the release is good, both the cleaning and typesetting in general. It's just the font choices that are questionable.

If you hadn't seen it, this is the page you should look at: https://mangadex.org/chapter/761019/1
If you don't have any of the fonts listed - find the ones you like on the Internet. It's not hard. This is how other scanlators have done it, and you can do it too. The end result will be 100 times better.

Heck, I can send some fonts to you if you want. Just please don't use Times New Roman. Please.

> I might change to normal writing instead of all in caps lock
Depending on the font, this is even worse.

> I'm trying to make things consistent
By choosing a serif font for your main text, you are being inconsistent with quite literally every other competent scanlation in existence.

Group Leader
Yeah, serif fonts aren’t really appropriate as a default for dialogue, though it’s fine for some things like explanation or label boxes. I personally like CC Astro City for general dialogue. It’s free, AFAIK, just Google for it. It’s missing accented characters, so I recommend the “CC Astro City Int” version which has all those. It’s a title case font, so there is still value in capitalizing properly, since the capital versions of letters are subtly different.

And as a random note when using those types of hand-drawn fonts for typesetting, while there are many rules to good typesetting, one of the simplest is that when typesetting comics, you only put bars on the letter i when it’s used as a personal pronoun. You don’t in any other situation, even when it starts a sentence. Which can be a bit weird since typesetting fonts normally make the barred i the uppercase variant.

Dex-chan lover
@Guspaz "you only put bars on the letter i when it’s used as a personal pronoun." Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. What do you mean by "putting bars on the letter i"?

Group Leader
@Ant1989
he's talking about crossbar I, you use it on personal pronouns I, I'd, I'll, I'm, while everything else gets the single stroke I, some comic fonts will have case sensitive letters, so the lower case L doubles as the single stroke i
OZUub6l.png

Double-page supporter
Serif (Times New Roman?) font? Seriously? I don't mean to be mean but...

6zngaBA.jpg

Edit: BTW why don't you calibrate your monitor a bit? Don't you see these fugly gray bars in every bubble? :/

Edit2: WTF is degree sign does there? You know there's proper forms like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th... 1°, 2°, 3° makes no sence.

I see the shit the others give about the choice of font but I'm just happy that someone took their free time to upload actual visually pleasing chapters, which is 1000x more important to me than some choice of font. Keep it up my guy.

Users who are viewing this thread