TyperTools - Photoshop extension for typesetters.

Contributor
Hi everybody!
I'd like to share with you my Photoshop extension which can ease performing typer tasks.
It has many features, such as keeping and editing script of an entire chapter within PS, pasting your chosen lines right in the center of text bubbles; you can also easily change styles of text layers and do much more.

Here's a video demonstration of its work with all the instructions you might need:
https://youtu.be/QwxG2S_PCMQ

If you're interested, feel free to download it here:
https://swirt.github.io/typertools/

maxresdefault.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Is this safe? Is this not?

I'm looking for a editor myself to learn but my desire to call in the squad and necro the thread is a little stronger

Group Leader
Interesting. However, Typesetterer (by Illuminati Manga) essentially does the same things and does not require Photoshop >= CC2015 as your plugin does. Also, it can be used without installing anything and it fully works with hotkeys. What are the pros of using this over Typesetterer? I'm a typesetter and I always look for new tools, so I'm interested in finding out more about this.

Contributor
Ou_Ki
(Well, firstly, it's not abandoned...)
They use slightly different concepts of work and they offer different features. It'd be easier just to check out the video and decide for yourself which one suits you best. My goal is to create an instrument which is integrated in Photoshop interface, and which would be more flexible and easier-to-operate than Typesetterer. But it's mostly subjective.

QSS

Group Leader
Just saying, a lot of people are sketched out by the fact that you're russian who came out of nowhere (while some trust the tool cuz it's written by a russian). What group are you a part of? Typesetterer at least came out of a known person of an established group, and doesn't require an install.

Anyways, do you plan on changing leading style from pt to % based? typesetterer has it while yours is only pt. keeping it as a multiple is better than doing it by pt, since you can scale text size without worrying about having to change spacing. See circled. if you don't know what auto leading is, read this https://i.redd.it/pkx7slsksvv01.png
unknown.png

Also, where are the fonts sampled from? Installed fonts or only what's in the windows font folder? Typesetterer only looks in the fonts folder, which is a pain in the ass if you're using a font managing program.

Do you plan on speeding up the functions? It is a bit slow compared to typesetterer. Have you tried the 1.9.9.9 version of typesetterer to compare?

The markup thing for styles is pretty cool.

Some things I've heard:
the stuff i added changed it to point, but i think some of how his other stuff works kinda relies on it being a text box
mostly I'm running into text sizing issues with Typertools- 'cause it doesn't have that nice shortcut to instantly +1/-1 to the size, and the styles have a fixed font size which isn't great for SFX whose sizes are all over the place

Contributor
QSS
Just saying, a lot of people are sketched out by the fact that you're russian who came out of nowhere (while some trust the tool cuz it's written by a russian). What group are you a part of? Typesetterer at least came out of a known person of an established group, and doesn't require an install.
Well, I am a member of several Russian teams, but I have doubts that you know them. I also do hentai translations: https://exhentai.org/uploader/Swirt
If somebody has any doubts about my code then fear not, it is open source, anyone can examine it (unlike with Typesetterer, by the way): https://github.com/Swirt/typertools-src
And technically it does not require installation. My installer just copies extension files to Photoshop directory.
Anyways, do you plan on changing leading style from pt to % based?
Yeah, it could be useful. Thanks for the suggestion. Check v.1.3.1, I added Autoleading Percentage. Now you can use either this, either certain value of Leading (in px, pt or mm, depending on your photoshop settings).
Also, where are the fonts sampled from? Installed fonts or only what's in the windows font folder? Typesetterer only looks in the fonts folder, which is a pain in the ass if you're using a font managing program.
Unfortunately, Photoshop only gives access to Windows fonts. But you can create a text layer with any fonts and press the «Copy Layer Style» button, then they will be used in the extension as well.
Do you plan on speeding up the functions? It is a bit slow compared to typesetterer. Have you tried the 1.9.9.9 version of typesetterer to compare?
Photoshop extensions are slow things themselves. I always try to optimize it, but I'm afraid that it couldn't be made noticeably faster. But I wouldn't say it's a huge problem, waiting times keep within 1 to 3 seconds.
the stuff i added changed it to point, but i think some of how his other stuff works kinda relies on it being a text box
You can choose between point text and text box in the Settings. Text box is used by default. I'll appreciate your feedback regarding any errors you encounter using the extension.
mostly I'm running into text sizing issues with Typertools- 'cause it doesn't have that nice shortcut to instantly +1/-1 to the size, and the styles have a fixed font size which isn't great for SFX whose sizes are all over the place
I'm not sure if that function is necessary inside the extension. Font size can be easily adjusted with Photoshop tools after it's pasted. Anyway it is implied that you should manually polish the thing you've been working on after you used the extension.

QSS

Group Leader
I'm not sure if that function is necessary inside the extension. Font size can be easily adjusted with Photoshop tools after it's pasted. Anyway it is implied that you should manually polish the thing you've been working on after you used the extension.
A lot of people seek to use these tools as methods to speed things up, and the act of saving yourself mouse travel plus a click for ever text box you work on goes a long way. Many people adjust almost every text box's font size, so the functionality of a shortcut that can minutely adjust font size (like typesetterer's +/- nudging font size one up or down) helps a lot in streamlining the adjustment process. In theory everything this tool does can easily be done within Photoshop itself, right? But that's not the point.

Group Leader
The GitHub repository should host the source code, not the zip files. That's what releases are for.

QSS

Group Leader
Zero clue why the source isn't linked on the zip file page, but here is the source https://github.com/Swirt/typertools-src

Would it be possible to paste the text without the text block, but still have it confined to the bubble?
Maybe auto adjust the font size so that there's a gap between the bubble and the text.

Contributor
I've just released v.1.3.2. You can check it out here: https://swirt.github.io/typertools/
Now extension has buttons which allow to change the font size of the current layer while keeping the center of the text block. And now I'm working on adding hotkeys to them.
RlbkXDM.png

Contributor
AerialAtom
Without the text block? What do you mean?
It will be difficult to adjust the text size. I doubt that it is possible to come up with an algorithm that will work well in all possible situations.

let see. I was asking if its possible to paste the text without using a text box and leave it freeform so it doesn't auto hyphenate. When you just click and can start writing is what I mean by freeform. But that it'll still fit inside the bubble.
https://youtu.be/oYnEljV9how

The auto-adujsting text can help if you have different size resolution scan and a 45pt font is too big for a small scan or a 20pt too small.
If it doesn't work that's fine. More concerned bout the free text then the font size.

Contributor
AerialAtom
This is called "point text" in the Photoshop terminology. You can set your preferred text type in the extension settings. By the way, you can disable auto hyphenation for text boxes as well.
UsVHboS.png

The auto-adujsting text can help if you have different size resolution scan
Hm... Maybe the solution is to add a multiplier (1 by default), which will be applied to all the pasted text?

Group Leader
I've started using this extension and it's definitely been very useful to me. Aside from the fact that you can easily have text within reach without having to Alt-Tab, it's great to easily be able to save my text style configurations. I was already doing that through Photoshop's styles, but you have to import those every time you open a new document which isn't ideal. Thank you very much for this tool.

My humble feature request is for multiple project support. I currently manage that in a clumsy way by deleting all my styles manually and importing a styles json for whatever project I'm working on now, along with pasting the script in out of a saved text document. That's fine, but it would be amazing if I could automatically switch between stored projects within the extension (each project corresponding to a different script and different set of text styles).

Users who are viewing this thread