Urasekai Picnic - Vol. 3 Ch. 14 - Time, Space, and a Middle-aged Man I

Dex-chan lover
"Still not used to her beauty"
Gay

also basically, she's scared right? I mean, that monkey dream incident probably was the tipping point

@AgentKuga

Nah, she just acts like a selfish bitch she is. She's like that even without Otherside involved.
Sure, she can be whatever she wants, she's her own person and it all would've been fine if she didn't whine about how she's lonely or disappointing she is all the time. "Omg, I have no friends!". Yeah, because you act like a massive bitch to everyone around you. It's even worse in the novel.

@AgentKuga That wasn't a dream, you know.

@Moribden She's not a "selfish bitch" she's a normal person who doesn't want to fucking die on a fools errand. Any reasonable person would have taken one one look at the sort of shit that Toriko has dragged her through and nope'd the fuck out of that situation immediately.
That she's stayed on for as long as she has is a testament to either greed, which is reasonable and normal, or her desire to help Toriko.
The reason why she doesn't have many friends is because she's "quiet" and socially retarded, as most nerds are.

Double-page supporter
i really didn't expect toriko to bring up how they abandoned the american soldiers, props to her tbh.

Double-page supporter
I'm so happy Yuri STALKER got picked up. Thanks for the chapter.

Dex-chan lover
@Edalwulf
ah sorry when I said "monkey dream" I meant the name of the legend when i searched it up, is "monkey dream"

Dex-chan lover
I can't blame her for not wanting to go back there after all that terrifying stuff they encountered. And I really hope for Toriko that Satsuki is still alive.

Aggregator gang
@Edalwulf: No, really, Sorawo really is an incredibly selfish and self-absorbed person. The only other person she cares about is Toriko, but even that is solely in the "I want her to like me" sense. That gets emphasized over and over in the novels. She'll happily leave other people to die even when she's completely capable of saving them. And not because she's scared, but rather because she simply can't be bothered to care about anyone who isn't Toriko.

That said, yes, she has perfectly good reason to be scared right now, and she is somewhat, but her real reason for trying to stop things isn't because she's scared. It's because she wants Toriko to forget about Satsuki and focus on her instead. She's jealous, and very determined to ensure that Toriko does not find Satsuki.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Sorawo is 100% in the right for asking what she did though. She's not being selfish at all. She's literally nearly died every time she's entered the other side and has barely survived by the skin of her teeth. Frankly it's beyond ridiculous that people call her selfish for not wanting to keep jumping into life or death situations for someone she doesn't even know beyond their name. Honestly accusing her of being a terrible person because she doesn't act like she has the plot armor of a main character is a joke and nothing else. Toriko is way more of a selfish person in this regard because she's getting pissy and offended that someone who keeps experiencing near death trauma isn't treating the source of that trauma as a fun time vacation.

All of you discussing Sorawo being selfish kinda forgot about the shit she went through in the past.
Her meeting Toriko was not only important for the whole Otherside quest but also for Sorawo's growth. She has to learn to trust people and learn to depend on them after being betrayed by her own family in such a sickening way. And her being this distrustful and selfish many times actually saved them from being killed.
Sorawo is massively flawed and broken character, but it really is what makes her interesting.

I'm glad she's not another copy pasted one dimentional protagonist who -for some reason -loves everyone on their way.

everyone is being so harsh towards sorawo, especially while referencing the novel which i think should be left out of any reasoning since we don’t know how much the author will follow it. that being said, sorawo *is* selfish since she doesn’t care about the soldiers or satsuki, but selfishness per se isn’t bad, it’s more like she’s being selfish because she’s scared so it’s to protect herself which is pretty understandable when you’ve had as many death encounters as her. also let’s not forget her social situation, she was basically alone, so wouldn’t a person like that be used to giving up? it wouldn’t have made sense for her to be all enthusiastic at the idea of helping others or putting efforts in things.

Aggregator gang
Just to be clear, I don't see this as a binary situation. I'm not saying "Sorawo is selfish so she's entirely wrong and Toriko, by opposing her, is entirely right." That would be stupid.

Pretty much everything Sorawo is saying here is true. She's saying the right things for the wrong reasons. Whereas Toriko has her heart in the right place, but would go about handling things entirely wrong if left to her own devices.

I just want that to be understood. Just because we say that Sorawo is selfish, that doesn't mean that we necessarily think she's in the wrong all the time. This isn't a one-dimensional story where the selfish person is always wrong and the unselfish person is always right. There's plenty of room for shades of gray in this.

Pretty much everything Sorawo is saying here is true. She's saying the right things for the wrong reasons. Whereas Toriko has her heart in the right place, but would go about handling things entirely wrong if left to her own devices.
^this

As someone mentioned below, Sorawo's selfish, harsh and no-fucks-given attitude is tied largely to her past trauma involving all of her family members. It was so fucked up and she had no one, so up until now she has avoided people and refrained from trusting them. She distanced herself from everyone to protect herself which is what led her to become who she is now. Let us novel readers not forget that she has a survival switch that works both consciously and subconsciously.

I would say most readers excused Sorawo for being scared but not for her very harsh and selfish nature and for caring only about Toriko and wanting her for herself, but some sympathy and understanding towards her will be felt when we slowly learn what exactly happened to her. We learn to judge her less but we still recognize the big flaws that we want her to try to fix. She's as messed up as anyone can be in real life. It's realistic, and I think it's better than having that one-dimensional main character that we're already sick of.

I think that just as Sorawo has to grow up and get over herself, we also learn to grow up with her and learn not to immediately judge and dismiss someone for their bad behaviour and be more open-minded.

To be clear, Sorawo, in this case, isn't selfish and she actually did the logical thing. Her selfish and misanthropic mindset shows more later, she gets called out for it by Toriko and Kozakura so she knows it's wrong and that she needs to be more empathetic.

@MaKi7 Thanks for the new update. I think you might have made a mistake with the volume number, pretty sure we're still in voume 3.

@GLFanatic
Jesus christ, how horrifying.
I hope they don't use shitty CG for the monsters. Unless it's REALLY shitty CG, and done on purpose, and out of sink in the frame rate of the rest of the show. Like, if they do use CG, it should be to emphasize how much the things don't belong. Such as making their frame rate way too high, or half that of the rest of the show.

Dex-chan lover
Damn. Everyone just blaming Sorawo for being selfish. I really don't understand.
Sorawo wants to live, having suffered a lot from her past traumas and... I don't know. Every time that she almost died in this cursed world? Teehee.
But noooo, she's selfish because she doesn't go the same way as the reckless Toriko, who wants to save the whole world when she doesn't just sit down and reflect more on that chaotic situation.
To be fair, I love both of them but I can't really get out of my head how Toriko is just acting up when 80% of her possible survival were due to Sorawo being knowlegdable on most of the urban legends and literally RISKING HER OWN MIND BEING CORRUPTED to be able to see what normal people can't.
You can't deny that Toriko is brave and got guts and that's how she saved Sorawo a bunch of time, however if you don't have nor knowledge or insight on the situation, it'll just lead to an early death.

Both of them are at fault :
-Sorawo for not really caring about Toriko's wish, just "wanting her" and not giving a fuck about anything else (even if it's understandable seeing her circumstances, being "selfish" is problematic)
-Toriko for having such a narrow vision about her own justice (people stuck on the other side) and her lost friend that she'd overlook her and Sorawo's mental sanity (a bit like she's "convenient" for her, nothing more) and not looking at the bigger picture.

Rant over. I should probably read the novel one day.

Users who are viewing this thread