Usagi to Kainushi-san - Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
She honestly doesn't appear to have much more intelligence than just a cat or other small mammal. She can learn simple mechanisms same as Crows or Cats, but doesn't seem to actually understand exactly what it does or the wider situation around her. She doesn't seem to be able to actually talk, she's apparently completely unaware of what's going on around her.

I'm not sure exactly what 'message' this story is trying to go for but it seems really undercut by, y'know, the actual facts of their situation and her intelligence. If the story wants to say that treating her like an animal is wrong then it should probably stop portraying her as just an animal with a human face.
Yeah this is the type of intelligence i meant, in this manga they seem, primitive to say the least unlike other mangas.

Dex-chan lover
She is smart enough to use a microwave but dumb enough to try to touch microwaved food with her bare hands?
In the Rabbit's defense, speaking as one who has accumulated a fairly decent amount of experience as a human I have yet to master that skill myself. Same goes for drinking hot soup, freshly baked bread, grilled cheese and pop tarts.

Group Leader
though I'm not so sure about the intelligence of them in this manga
For some reason FMC is stunted in communication. Maybe her only issue is she can't form words, but it's clear she understands others. It was shown other rabbits have jobs and stuff.

Group Leader
I have same friends... They also saying bad thing to other people for some reason... They are good friend to me but I really hate it when they acting like that...
NGL, that wears down on you over time when you're constantly in moral misalignment. That's why they say be careful who your friends are. Hopefully it's not as bad as I think it is for you.

Group Leader
Yeah this is the type of intelligence i meant, in this manga they seem, primitive to say the least unlike other mangas.
It was shown in some panels that some rabbits have jobs like in service or sales/ads.

Group Leader
She honestly doesn't appear to have much more intelligence than just a cat or other small mammal. She can learn simple mechanisms same as Crows or Cats, but doesn't seem to actually understand exactly what it does or the wider situation around her. She doesn't seem to be able to actually talk, she's apparently completely unaware of what's going on around her.

It's been a long time since this was translated again. So I had to go back. I think chapter 8 will answer your questions. It's possible they have lied or hid info about what's happening in an infantile manner. Kinda like how we tell kids Santa gave them presents. She grew primarily half naked and doesn't care if she's clothed or not. Yet other rabbits were shown to have jobs...

I think this family didn't want to invest in her at all and just kept her for her son's sake. There is such thing as being developmentally stunted in healthy individuals. Abuse/trauma can do that. In this case I think it's neglect and that she grew up with this behavior being the norm.

I'm not sure exactly what 'message' this story is trying to go for but it seems really undercut by, y'know, the actual facts of their situation and her intelligence. If the story wants to say that treating her like an animal is wrong then it should probably stop portraying her as just an animal with a human face.
Unfortunately, the author doesn't distinguish this quite well. Probably because it's just a webcomic. Even in manga, the stories can be progressively established (ie. what the author wants to settle on). She refers to some objects in the house as watering holes (animalistic/innate survival tendencies) and him going outside as adventures (child-like). There are a lot more instances of child-like/infantile/neglect behaviors that the author displays, so I think this is the direction the author is leaning.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Very original to portray the average humans in the universe as a actual monsters and the MC is the sole exepction truly a novel idea for the ages.

Supporter
I think this family didn't want to invest in her at all and just kept her for her son's sake. There is such thing as being developmentally stunted in healthy individuals. Abuse/trauma can do that. In this case I think it's neglect and that she grew up with this behavior being the norm.
While I can agree that the family in general didn’t care for her, the MC was different and I find it hard to believe that he wouldn’t have tried to impart any skills or knowledge to her. The MC’s dad is a controlling nutcase but I don’t think the MC would have passed on the neglect to just fall in line. Especially when they’re alone together it’s hard to picture that dynamic.

Dex-chan lover
If Harmless Monsters isn't brave enough to translate future chapters, I'm not sure I'm brave enough to read them. :eek:
🫣

Dex-chan lover
I really hope the suggested route this story will take suggested in comments are completely wrong.. I don't think my heart will be able to take it otherwise.. :notlikethis:

Dex-chan lover

yeah this is actually true. while everyone is like "eyyy shes actually a hooman bean!" she seems rather mentally handicapped by human standards which also brings to question how ethical the oncoming romantic relationship between parties is gonna be.

all in all just a barely disguised fetish mango so eh. not like the japanese seem to particularly care about such things.

Dex-chan lover
very type of manga degrade the beast men when they literally look exactly the same, and most likely have the same intelligence (though I'm not so sure about the intelligence of them in this manga) as other ppl. Like ik irl we humans are racist but tis is just a lil outta whack

its probably some kind of coded terminology for discrimination that the writer is trying to convey. Most of the time this sort of stuff is imagined, but has some relationship to their experiences in life

I'd just like to take a moment to show some appreciation for how ridiculously adorable the just-waking-up-sleepy-face in the middle of page three is.

Group Leader
While I can agree that the family in general didn’t care for her, the MC was different and I find it hard to believe that he wouldn’t have tried to impart any skills or knowledge to her. The MC’s dad is a controlling nutcase but I don’t think the MC would have passed on the neglect to just fall in line. Especially when they’re alone together it’s hard to picture that dynamic.
TBF, the MC was mostly a kid going through pressures of life and meeting his strict parent's/family ideals. Kids with strict parents struggle with NOT upsetting their parents at the cost of giving up what they wanna do.

Users who are viewing this thread