Usogui - Vol. 40 Ch. 433 - Safe Zone

8 44 63 47 vs
26 39 25 45

So at best, Lalo has a royal, two quads, and a boat (assuming that ace is mot shuffled back into Chief's deck), while Usogui has two straight flushes and two quads?

Dex-chan lover
The cards Takumi's got at least confirms some of our speculations from last chapter, having a 4 of a kind that sums up to 36, and a straight that sums to 15. Whether or not any of the other things holds true is yet to be seen though.

I wonder what mistake Baku already made.

Dex-chan lover
Safe zone? Is this game completely only one round? I thought it reset, so how is there a safe zone?
Oh, it's not really that safe I guess. I see the wording "of this round" now. It's just the amount of risking being unable to pay the ante?

Communicating through lights is pretty cool though.

@rennov
This arc is better than the last arc. This battle is at its peak.
So I hope Takoshi won't spoil any more. I guess he has read Air poker arc😏

@Lithe, the safe zone I believe is where lalo can choose to fold immediately after each round and still end up winning

@TetrisGuy

Haha, nope I have not read the arc at all. It took a while to theorise that could've been one of the interpretations of the numbers. ;)

Dex-chan lover
Showing the cards seems to practically verify that the hands theory is currently spot on. I don't really care to do the math in these games myself even though I really appreciate the author including it, but I think there might be opposing hands that are forced to share cards if the prior hands use up the necessary sum/suits. The winner will probably be decided a different way and upon the loser will befall calamity. Just a guess, in case it wasn't stated before, and you could probably prove this true or false, but I'm far too lazy...

The "law" is what I'm most curious of now. I kinda doubt that the 'intimidation' is all that great for some reason, but I like Kakerou's explanations regardless. I've even come to love Sako Toshio's soapbox humanity preaching lol, if that's even what it is.

Dex-chan lover
@nhattminhh I was thinking that too, but that system wont work for big numbers like 36 and 39, that would be impossible.

Thus you would need to count 2 or more numbers, the number of Bios you would have won for big numbers, and the number of Bios your opponent would have left if they had lost for smaller numbers.
Whoever has a card closer to being one of those numbers would win.

Right now for this match since they both are playing with 23 bios it was easy to follow.

So on this match we had Lalo's 15 vs Baku's 36 both players have 23 bios, and bet 8 Bios.

Result:
One player would end with 32 Bios and the other with 15, so Lalo wins, because his card 15 was closer to one of the 2 numbers.

Shion tells us that Baku messed up, why?

Well if Baku had raised and made it so they both had to bet 14 Bios the result would have been:
One player would end with 37 Bios and the other with 9, so Baku wins, because his card 36 was closer to one of the 2 numbers.

And Kaji made a mistake thinking about laming it out with Safe Zones and antes, as if Lalo would ever allow for such boring gamble. While Baku was probably just testing the waters.

For the next game Baku has 15 Bios and Lalo 32, the ante will be of 2 Bios, that alone could give us 4 numbers, 17 (Baku gains Bios), 13 (Baku loses Bios), 34 (Lalo gains Bios), 30 (Lalo loses Bios).

If i am right, then you would need to choose a card that will be close to or be one of those 4 numbers, but since you can change the numbers by raising the number of Bios being bet, you have to have a firm grasp of how well you can manipulate both your bets and your opponent.

Right now Baku has the following cards 25, 45, 26, 36, 39, and he already used 36, while Lalo has 15, 8, 47, 63, 44, and already used 15, i don't know if you can repeat cards, but for a vanilla match that only used the ante for the bet, the best card to play would be 36 again since it is closer to 34 the number of Bios that Lalo would have hypothetically won if he had won, even if the one actually winning is Baku.

That would earn Baku 2 Bios, which is nothing, so playing 36 again without making any raises is a bad play, so now you need to think also of a way to maximize profits, all of this while you are underwater, oh and while assuming also that your opponent is making the same calculations.

Edit: some spelling.

Dex-chan lover
Okay, we have the first result. Time for further speculations.

The whole setup with metal pieces underwater reminds me of the story of Archimedes. So my first guess was the cards representing elements by their number in the periodic system and the result being decided by what element has the higher density.

In this case 15 would represent phosphorus and 36 krypton so it holds up so far with the limited information we have.

Naturally this solution has holes with the determining factor being called a law and the disaster rule.

Is what is said on page 9 correct? "Please forgive me" seems pretty out of place.

I am onboard with Takoshi's analysis on what the number means. I would like to further infer what the "Calamity" might be.

On one of the last page, Takumi is shuffling the card in preparation for the next bet. In the next panel the card that has been drawn is still laid out in the table, not being put back in the deck. Which means that there is chance that there wont be enough cards to draw if a certain number pops up. Which might be a condition to trigger the "Calamity". After the Calamity then all the used card will be reshuffled again for the next bet, resetting the possibilities.

Fed-Kun's army
i like that the referees listen to Kaji and notice or acknowledge silently that he's changed

I think the winner depends on the resolution that will give a number closer to the respective no. of air bios owned after resolving, as well as who has the number closer to the respective higher or lower no. of air bios owned. I.e. in this first game, Lalos has 15 and Baku has 36; after potential resolutions it'll give 15 / 32 (Lalos wins) or 31 / 16 (Baku wins). As Lalos has 15, which matches the lower of both if he wins, compared to Baku who has 36, which is 5 off from the higher if he wins, Lalos wins this match.

The easier way to visualize this, from either Lalos or Baku's perspective, is to see if they have the higher or lower number, then their winning condition is to maneuver such that they can make their number closer to the respective higher or lower no. of air bios owned if they win the match (as I highlighted in my previous para).

I wonder how wrong I'll be hah.

Double-page supporter
Just realized Baku can't do his bite the plum package thing underwater. Or could he?

Users who are viewing this thread