Usogui - Vol. 42 Ch. 459 - The Hidden Landmine

Dex-chan lover
Yes, Lalo. Go ahead, fold. You two will definitely have the same amount of air :)

You know it's amazing the mind games that were played in this poker match even without them speaking a single world to each other. And looking at the beginning, guess the death of the 4th round was death by shooting.

Double-page supporter
7SBMOcr.png

vpAM659.png

This is the second time Team Lalo has used this "If it's you..." terminology. I'll have to re-read to see if Robert K or Floyd Lee used it too. Maybe they wouldn't have, since they were allies of Lalo's out of convenience.

It's interesting the level of faith they have in Lalo's abilities.

Since it's almost being explicitly stated that the trick is the obfuscation of the total bios amount, that Baku has extra bios that Lalo didn't account for, assuming that THAT isn't what Baku is mentioning in Chapter 458, where he said "I will lose if he ends up seeing through it"
What else could it be?

Fed-Kun's army
The chapter is so mind-blowing that I see the volume and chapter switched place.

@idle_af @xkcdhawk
Theory update then:
You're right. Instead of giving Lalo a poisoned apple, he has indeed been using slightly more air than Lalo, earlier on. Leaving a few extra breaths in each of his empty bios would mean all the difference in the world... And didn't he act all orchestral when exchanging his supposedly empty air bios?

Double-page supporter
@idle_af
I think it's a double-layed plan; both the broken regulator display and the faith in Hal to preserve the cards for 25. I think we are being misled in the direction of the broken regulator; notice they have not showed the hand Hal made at all, everyone in the game is just assuming he made the best hand for 26, which would make 25 useless. Lalo might figure the broken dial out, realize that Baku has saved air, and be forced into a bet where he will bet high against the 25 thinking its not a straight flush, and lose because Hal saved the cards.

Perhaps Baku never truly broke the regulator at all. Or maybe he did, and this is his trap for Lalo; even if he sees through one of his plans, he won't recognize the other. If Hal has preserved the 25, and Baku has saved air, then Baku should win no matter if Lalo folds or bets, presuming Lalo does not have one more ace up his sleeve. Maybe Baku is hoping that Lalo won't recognize both of his plans; the optimal solution for him is still probably to fold, even if Baku has a bit more air than him, Lalo likely has a much stronger constitution and may be able to squeak by. Especially considering how confident Lalo is in that he will win if the Air Bios are equal. I think Baku is probably hoping Lalo will notice the broken regulator, think that Baku is saving air, and bet high to try and secure the win, while Baku has put his trust in Hal to preserve the straight flush of 25. Baku has certainly been making a big show every time he has to switch Air Bios, its like he wants people to notice it.

We also don't know what happened with the two hands above. Hal experiencing the Witch Pain and the delay in the round ending they either had a mulligan on choosing the hands (which would either give Fukurou a second chance to make his correct hand, or perhaps also make a junk hand to save cards that simply beat Hal) or Hal insta-lost because Baku folded. That hasn't been clarified yet. If Fukurou figured out what was going on and also preserved cards, then the gamble becomes obfuscated and maybe Lalo folding ISN'T the ideal. It would be ironic for him to lose because he decided to not put faith in Fukurou.

Obviously we as readers have the ability to discuss our theories with others, which allows us to see and notice more details than the average serial manga reader would. Air Poker is quite a genius and multilayered gamble.

Fed-Kun's army
Baku is such a crazy gambler.
Everything keeps pointing to him having saved some air since the beginning. But if that's the case, it means Baku did have some extra air available when he was about to die drowning. And even then, he refused to use the air he saved, just to keep his bluff alive. That's so like him, and so badass.

Just like the volume and chapter number, the tables too have turned. crazy how little foreshadowing the author used, and yet everyone here scanning every little detail already knew about the "landmine"

@BossCrab
Initially my complaint was that it seems like no matter what, Baku wins anyway. The phrase "I will lose if" irks me because there's no situation where it can actually happen. If Lalo folds, Baku has extra bios. If Lalo calls, Baku has that preserved straight flush. Lalo cannot influence anything. I don't think Fukurou preserving cards would matter btw, because in the current pool the straight flush is the strongest anyway which only Baku could form. And since there was a calamity in the 3rd round, you can actually be sure that no cards were preserved up to that point.

Also, I doesn't have to be as explicit as you stated, where Lalo would lose because he didn't put faith in Fukurou. It'll probably more that they didn't have that sort of bond in the first place while Hal and Baku does which allowed them to do this play of preserving the straight flush; a parallel to Lalo's mindset right now that he doesn't want to chance it from any mistakes that Fukurou could make, where Baku is faithful that Hal can create a miracle. Like @Veshv said "Basically, it might be possible for Baku to be the one to hatch a scheme and Hal to catch on just from the played card."
I think it's as you mentioned, that the best play for Lalo is just to fold.
EDIT: It's funny that I'm citing fucking comments. There's foreshadowing even in the comments section. I just remembered that comment specifically since it's so apt, now that the author may be going for that approach thematically (though it's still conjecture)

Regarding that miracle
We're talking about Baku hoping that Hal notices and reserves the straight flush but if you check his words in page 12, chapter 458, he says that "What if I went on with the bet? And I had won? No, no way" "That's impossible, one miracle is enough to bet on"
It's nothing serious but the second miracle he is talking about is Fukurou making a mistake. I just wonder if the first miracle then is actually Baku hoping HAL makes a mistake to preserve the straight flush, where the foreshadowing is Fukurou's retarded mistake with the suit initially. That would be funny since just about everyone here in the comments is hoping Hal would notice Baku's plan and create an invalid hand intentionally to preserve the straight flush where in actuality he didn't do it on purpose, he just fucked up. "Yes Baku, just as planned"

So if it isn't as straightforward as it is being laid out right now, that Baku is just hoping that Lalo won't notice his extra bios, then I hope it's that Baku doesn't want Lalo to notice his attempt of preserving his straight flush, because Lalo can (or will) actually win even with the disadvantage in the bios amount, just like you said in your second paragraph.

@fire
Yeah, so much for the theatrics, it's literally just Baku acting to sell it. I remember the remarks of the audience that Baku is running out of air first because of his constitution. Maybe that was just due to the acting. Although Baku is admittedly just weak anyway (Actually, I don't remember if it's the audience in the manga or if it's the audience from Mangadex lmao but I'm pretty sure someone brought that up)

@Jonui
Holy shit nice catch

Users who are viewing this thread