Villainess in Love - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Dex-chan lover
@SleepyAbra RIGHT like. She's got a great sense of agency.

And I really appreciate that like. Well YEAH of course there's birth control, it's a universe with *magic*. IRL we had birth control in like. The roman empire, no wayyy a world with magic wouldn't be all over that shit. A+.

@NPark92 lol I also thought that must've been what she missed

@blazing_boz maybe if historical accuracy matters that much to you, it might be better off reading one with the historical tag? Those tend to be more thorough. I'm willing to overlook the bit about birth control here because ~*~ MAGIC ~*~ and the fact that herbal remedies against unwanted birth have been around for ages, even though they might not have been super-effective.

@missmercurial
And If comments that don’t blindly praise every facet of comic trigger ya’ll so much don’t read them,lol. I’m not going to turn my brain of when I read something. There are Plenty of other things historical in ac curacies that I did not point out
Like asking for birth control AFTER having sex, [ Woman going to academy with men, the outfits clearly jump many years back and forth in trends ]
But I mainly pointed out birth control because birth control came about in 1960 is a huge leap in the technological and medical advances of the 17th 18th century world the story is set in. Its a pretty blatant differ in the continuity of the story.
~because you can like something and still criticize
@Friendly
Speaking of The Holy roman Empire, they didn’t have ‘Birth Control’ they had some version of contraception. Contraception is not birth control, it’s a broad term for various methods to prevent pregnancy. All of which was particularly deadly to woman and were more along the line of fictions remedies to some actual ways to terminate and already existing pregnancy which was pretty deadly to woman. Its hard to find a lot of accurate information on the lives of Roman woman ,as it wasn’t deemed that important by men to record the lives of woman but their was a much bigger focus on fertility . Even when an acceptable version of "The Pill" or the medical item that is modernly known as 'Birth Control" hit the market in the 1900's was released it could cause blood clots which killed many woman. And Ive got a feeling female lead is so desperate to bone Ishid that she'd take a product that would kill her.

@Hypothon based on those spoilers the male character likely picked the heroine out of necessity.

I'm interested what the heroines character type is or maybe if shes secretly evil, also I wonder what the real reason the hero killed her i feel this is a misunderstanding. Also I wonder if theres only water and fire mages I would think other elemental mages exist. And seems water and fire mages have to be paired up out of necessity I wonder if the same is for wind and earth mages.

While y'all busy arguing about stuff, here I am learning that the sun is big and hot.

Author took creative liberties in building a “vaguely European world”. That’s it.
These stories aren’t set in a particular time period and sometimes concepts/items similar to our modern world are pulled in for the sake of convenience. Taking for example similar stories with vaguely European settings might also have cellphones, or have moral standards that are closer to the modern world than the super vague time period it’s based on.

Take an example in another fantasy world based on our current one, Avatar the Last air bender. There’s a lot of similarities to our current world/culture but there’s still a lot of deliberation taken by the creators. They’re not meant to be a one-on-one replica of our current world. In other words, they’re not “historically accurate”.

The same applies here.

Logically, there’s nothing that proves that birth controls should exist. But nothing proves birth controls can’t exist. There’s no indication that there wasn’t an earlier access to an oral contraceptive in this alternate world with an alternative history. The difference being that in our world attempts were made but remained unsuccessful, but in theirs it was successful. Which isn’t a stretch considering the presence of magic might greatly alter history. But ofc, nothing in the story says that it did happen either. The only thing we have is something that might feel jarring because the existence of birth control pills might not align with our expectations of a vaguely European society. But in the end, it can’t be proven nor disproven. It’s only loosely based, after all.

It’s possible to critique it for weak or unclear world building. But saying it’s historically inaccurate is like saying vampires are scientifically inaccurate. Weak worldbuilding and historical inaccuracy are not the same thing. And either way, the story is character-focussed and not world-building focussed.

Dex-chan lover
quietly leans back into the room

if the point of any of this was 'historical accuracy', the main character's stunningly B+ chest wouldn't appear to be shaved/waxed.

However it's not. so.

Anyways next chapter I can't wait for her to be confused af when he treats her right, because that's the good shit right there. ✌️

Dex-chan lover
This is hilarious XDDD I love this so much<33 And it looks like she completely seduced the innocent Male Lead within just one night XD Hahahahhah XD

While the birth control pill may be one of most popular methods of avoiding pregnancy today, (as stated earlier) “contraception” itself existed long before contemporary society made it commercially accessible. Certain herbs were known to force miscarriages, and if that knowledge weren’t passed down through family, a visit to a midwife or apothecary would do the trick...

...which is all to say, why are y’all upset that a Korean webnovel literally based in magic doesn’t strictly conform to Western European history and language. I’d argue that the author/translator used the term “birth control” because the audience is a modern-day reader and NOT an 18th-century European. The author is worldbuilding very plainly; they’re describing what is here and what isn’t, and imo it’s odd to have people get so upset to see that the world being woven around them doesn’t exactly match the one they had in mind.

In spite of what about ninety percent of isekai manga, in Europe we have NOT magic academies for young and noble descendants, neither now nor in the past.

Oh, if we exclude Hogwarts, Beauxbaton and Durmstrang, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread