Villains Are Destined to Die - Vol. 1 Ch. 26

Fed-Kun's army
She's pretty smart. Turning the Truth a little like that but still believable since it pretty much did happened.. although not exactly in that order.. XD

Fed-Kun's army
Penelope is the villainess in this game, right? Meaning she should have survived long enough for her to do evil things. Then why does she have so many death flags looming over her when the game hasn't even started yet? Shouldn't she survive by just doing what replicating Penelope's actions from the original route? Here she had to work hard to even get proper meals and respect from the servants. How did she even manage to do anything evil in the first place?

I seem to have forgotten the basic premise here , can someone please clarify

I fucking hate her fucking family!!! they are allll pieces of shit!! hypocrites.. when she finally gives up trying to win their affection and attention, suddenly, they care and she is 'family'.. assholes.. should've been like this 20 episodes ago!! 😡
although it's nice to see them go craycray shit over her now.. fuckers

Dex-chan lover
Yo the "love" in this family is.... strange. They all border upon possessiveness, thin layers of yandere-ness.... but they let the original penelope suffer so much? Let her be mistreated and abused? No matter how they react now i can never forget what they did to the poor girl. I say this every time but its like she's their doll. They only care if she might get taken away or disappear.

I just want someone to actually love and care about penelope. No strange hypocrisy. I had my hopes on iklies but HM. Someone pls get her out of this situation :'(

Dex-chan lover
For her father to be so concerned with the family's honor, he's been woefully neglecting every single action needed to at least keep of the facade of Penelope as the daughter of a noble family. Thankfully she trapped him with that, and it'll likely be a useful card for actions she takes to protect herself in the future.
And I think her "family" is only now taking an interest in her because she's proving to be something other than a childish, tantrum-throwing placeholder - she's actually showing how she can be useful, and thus "human" in their eyes. Which makes them terrible fething people and i hope she keeps that in mind as she plans her escape.

Dex-chan lover
@MurphySlaw nope you are definitely remembering correctly. Thats why even penelope is confused about their reactions after every danger she survives. Im sure theres an explanation but im guessing we wont be hearing it here soon

Double-page supporter
@theseniorsenor the original(heroine) route started a few months after the Penelope route, so it's likely it didn't go into detail about Penelope's actions during her route. Our MC died during one of her runs trying to get through Penelope's route but failing because every other choice gets her killed. I don't remember if she's passed her last run yet though.

Dex-chan lover
It's so strange to me how surprised they are any time she mentions or even hints that she will be leaving in the future like did they think only they had a say on if and when she could leave or simply that Penelope would never want to leave this shitty environment ?

I really wish we will have like bonus chapter or something to see from the other eckarts' perspective of the story.

Why the sudden change? hurmmmm

@theseniorsenor My guess is that the parameters changed for Penelope the NPC villain vs. Penelope the playable character. In the main story, since as you pointed out, Penelope exists to be antagonist to the heroine, the game auto keeps her around till she's filled that role. However, when the player is playing as her, then that's when she gets all the death flags which is why it's hard mode. Essentially the main game's route is predetermined for her while in this version involves player choice + risk.

Also remember the goal of this game mode requires her to win over one of the male leads before the main storyline timeline kicks in. If she fails to do so, she dies. Moreover, because she starts off with 0 or less likeability and her chances of dying increase greatly when it's a negative number, if she were to keep up a villain act she'd likely get killed long before she won any hearts. As she is the protagonist now, there is no need for her to play the villainess. Her goal is the same as any otome, to make the choices that gain her the most favor (it's just a lot harder and more dangerous in her case).

From the game point of view, in Hard Mode the player task is to make the family hate Penelope enough but not killing her, to prepare for the "true heroine" to come and take it all in "heroine route". And for some reason, seem like the father/brother actually are trying to make a better relationship with Penelope but having trouble doing so they just mess thing up and get frustrate being around her.

Lowkey think that the brother was annoyed by the fact she kept calling him "brother" is because he doesn't want to just be her "brother." He wanted to be acknowledged as a man or candidate as a love interest for Penelope.

idk at least that's what i think lol

This is delicious~ She's really good.

I think that the old Penelope saw everyone as equals and when she was forced into the hierarchy she couldn't cope. Her traumas from being a poor orphan didn't allow her to adjust to these dynamics. Everyone is super sneaky about things and flip things on a dime depending on the situation.

So the old Penelope would brute force her way through things. Then it became a habit and thus she became a "mad dog". Everyone is on razor edge and they're upset at having to see all the pain written all over Penelope's face.

The servants treated her badly because she got the Cinderella setup just because she happened to look the part. But the servants can't really sympathize because they're trying to survive their own lives. They're use to having hard pressure from the upper classes and act sneaky because they can't be as direct with their complaints.

The family that took her in doesn't know how to help her right so they lay on the pressure and she pops like a top. She's in n a weird place because she was a poor orphan that was adopted but now she has the might and wealth of a high class family behind her. Yet she's more like an ornamental piece on the mantle. Who knows when or if the other girl will show up. Her place is protected only for convenience. So she milks it and goes through mood swings because they only fix things when she's wild. A terrible feedback loop that doesn't get fixed easily.

It's layers and layers of disfunction going on here. Do whatever you want but don't cross that obvious line but there's also invisible lines here and there and there and that one too.

The FL didn't go through Penelope's level of poverty so her traumas didn't distort her ability to read people and situations. She's on edge because of the death flags but can keep her cool because she hasn't been broken. Since she also has some knowledge of the reality and setting she can effect changes to make it easier without getting drunk on the power and money.

She won't use material things to fill the void left by people because she knows that freedom can bring her more happiness.

All of these changes to her personality have brought down the hostility levels from her main family. Because like someone else said, she's useful now.

There's also less of an open wound being shoved in everyone's face. "I'm broken, I'm broken and I need you with me." The family members don't have to face that directly so it's easier to deal with her. Even letting her into the fold more because she's proving that she can stay clear of the tripwire. Now they're anxious because she's gotten too good and want to see what comes next.

Ngl I think the ppl in the comments are too narrow minded on their response to the brothers and the father

Sure their irredeemable bastards for not taking care of someone they took in as a "replacement" for their long lost sister.

So If anything they might be projecting their fears and insecurities onto her for getting lost like the heroine did all those years ago.

Maybe they care about her now with that image hyper-imposed into their minds with the search for her that night AND the almost murder from the prince not to long ago

Also high key hoping Ikles sees the Absolute SHIT she has to go thru in this family estate. He was a nobleman so hopefully he has a grasp on why the fuck the servants are acting this way to her.

Cuz I saw that side eye of the shock ring last chapter and I do NOT want to see Ikles trying to kill Penelope 🤧🤧🤧

Users who are viewing this thread