Villains Are Destined to Die - Vol. 1 Ch. 26

Dex-chan lover
@simplechild : Well
It's hard to be rational when you're affected by a curse.

In this case, Penelope has a curse on her soul that makes everyone unreasonably dislike her, that apparently was put onto her TWO lives ago (before she was born in Korea)

@Paulthetic "Abused" you say? That was all a stupid plot device to get the audience to sympathise with her. I don't think this manhwa even handles abuse properly so I refuse to call her "abused". I said that her victim mentality was annoying. I don't take it back. Sure it's justified but it's bona fide annoying. I don't even know if her family cares about her or not because of her narrative. Okay. I'm not annoyed with her. I'm annoyed with the author for making such confusing characters.

Some of y’all need to chill the heck out with the thoughts on the family.
Apparently, this story isn’t the type to just justify it all, anyway, but as I’ve heard it’ll explain it.
So relax pls.
Enjoy the beautiful art and well-done story that will become even better as things progress~

Hearing a lot about a curse....which I'm sure will be explained eventually and will be lifted or whatnot but will the person who cast her curse get their comeupance? If it has affect her for 3 lives already I feel like it's a pretty nasty curse and some karma should fly back to the curse caster, well that's if it's a person and not a cursed book or place or whatever.

Thanks for the translations!

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Dex-chan lover
@ prouree Fine I’ll spoiler a bit. The knight slave boy, Ilkyes
isn’t that loyal, but he is a good actor. He is always gazing upon her ring, weighting out if it’s best to wait or kill her straight away. His affection rising fast is actually a problem, it represents unstability and Penelope learns that it arguably makes capture targets like that more dangerous than her brothers because it can fall and drop to negatives on the slightest mistake.

Aggregator gang
I have no idea as to why they're being nice and caring now? Like is it bc she's more sensible now? That would take away some of their irritation with her but why are they acting 'loving' , there's no reason???

Dex-chan lover
@Ghost_Bear Penelope's
NPC personality was of a bratty girl that kept building up anger and distrust of everyone around her. That's also the reason the ''Normal Mode'' heroine started with 30% affection of the targets; she didn't earn that, Penelope earned negative affection of everyone else instead, people that wanted to get rid of her either out of spite or need. The current Penelope is calmer and has more humility, making everyone reconsider what they have been doing and have more trust in her.

Imagine some younger cousin girl of yours that has been a pain in the ass shoved in your life. Out of nowhere she stops being like that, acting more polite, apologizing for everything, you'd feel something very weird out of it, not like you'd love her straight away, represented in how they are barely gaining respect and affection. They are stopping to see her like a stuck up girl, more like an adult and rethink some of their choices.

Of course, the entire environment including her brothers is what contributed for Penelope to have a personality like that angry at everyone, but lashing out in anger just worsens everything further.

Group Leader
@riflow First, when the Duke ask why she has to escape instead of asking permission. She play 'You wouldn't allow it anyway' card. Since Penelope life is always confide in the mansion. She never get to go out if there is no invitation specifically asking for her.

Second, when Duke ask why she have to bring back the Eklies. She play the second card 'If not for him, I would have been ravage by some noble' which triggered the Duke as you can see he's fuming and ask for perpetrator name.

And the third one is when she's asking to name Eklies as her personal bodyguard. She tell us that she never had personal bodyguard when normal lady would have like 5-6 bodyguard usually. And when she have to go out. Her bodyguard would be the one who didn't have anything to do at that moment. Meaning they couldn't care less. So that the third guilt trip she did this episode.

Oh, and next episode she gonna guilt trip Rennald (Pink mofo) so hard. I can hardly wait to see his face. 🤣

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

@Ghost_Bear @WildJoker

huge huge spoiler...
I read a spoiler from the earlier chapters saying that there was actually a curse on penelope that made people who see her hate/dislike her and the heroine was kinda part of it. around the time when people start acting nicer is when they found out about the curse and got rid of it... so now the brothers are like, "wait, why did I use to hate her so much?" and probably are feeling guilty

Dex-chan lover
I think they are some misunderstanding about this story, her family neglect her yes, but they don't know she is abused by other peoples. We have this impression because we only know Peneloppe point of view, if we start thinking about other peoples perspectives we have another story.

The father and the elder brother think quite rationnaly : I am strict to her because she cause trouble, if she have a proper behavior I will stop being strict. A the start of the manwha when Peneloppe change her behavior their still strict, that because they are years of misconduct before and that quite natural.

Their fault is to never listen her side of the story, they are exasperate and think is useless to listen to her. But this attitude lead to other people harras her.
For the rotten food case, we didn't know what the father and elder bro know, Peneloppe assumed it, well she have right to assume that she know the truth and it's easy to misunderstand if people know only partialy something, in reallity we didn't know for sure if they are actually aware.
The elder bro know that she eat some rotten food but we not sure if he know where the food come from, probably not, he didn't have a interest about another fuss Peneloppe cause.
Since they react quite shock everytime Peneloppe explain herself (now and in the futur), we can suppose that before they just need the word "Peneloppe" and "trouble" to condemn her.

The litle bro: Contrary to elder bro and father, I think he is more or less aware of the abuse and participate too. More or less because he react in the rotten food case.
He have a reason to hate her and harras her regulary, on public place or not.
When he confront her later, he will understand that he's reason to hate her is a misunderstanding and feel guilty.
The reasoon he hate her
When Peneloppe arrived at the mansion and become his new sis, he heard her make the wish that his real sister never come back.
He understood that at "I wish you sister died", when he confront her about it Peneloppe will explain the life of a orphan girl in street and the fact that she was adopter to replace his missing sister, if the real sister is find what happen to her? Her wish meaning his "I don't want to return in misery", well this wish wasn't granted since she was mistread in this family

The servants : They do not respect Peneloppe, some maybe hate her for somes reason the story don't give enough information about that. But they stay relativly correct when the rest of the family is here, they know no one paid attention to her and harras her when nobody look. If they go to far, neither the father or the heir will even listen to her, on the contrary they will paid attention to they version, they just need to tell what good for them.
"Peneloppe have made a fuss about the food this morning" -> not need to talk about rotten food, if father and elder bro know, no need to tell them where this food come. They can say Peneloppe did ask for it and they strugle to save her instead, who care they will not verify after all.
Start was probably the litle bro fault, he hoppenly disrepect her in front of the servants. The father and elder bro nevr side whit her, well never even listen her version, it's easy to not respect her too, after that litle by litle the lack of respect become light harrasment then worse and worse.
The original Peneloppe didn't say anything about it, she can't, nobody will listen so as long as they do act properly in front of the master, they can do anything.
In the novel we know that the maid didn't poor tea for Peneloppe when she is in her father office, the father didn't see it.
When peneloppe eat with her family they will give her child table set, too small to properly eat with it, they are discret.
But when the master isn't near they will give her rotten food or insult her in a loud voice in the mansion.

About the last reason who is a spoiler
The curse explain the bad start of the relationship but not everything, they are story and fact who build this situations in addition of it. At most the servant who didn't have a deap reason to hate her move because of it but for her family it's more deep than just "a curse made her hated by everyone"

Users who are viewing this thread