Villains Are Destined to Die - Vol. 1 Ch. 26

Dex-chan lover
@MurphySlaw
Well this conflict start with different perspectives, we see Peneloppe points of view

The others:
Father : He care about her but he's exaperated about her childish behavior, to the point he didn't need to verify Peneloppe version because it's probably her fault.
He think he's just strick and didn't know the detail about Peneloppe trouble.
About the rotten food case, he probably didn't listen her pink brother come because he was angry and some employe told him their version of fact.
In the future he will be quite chock about the abuse of his own servants

Older Bro : Similaire to the father
He had some real hatred/love for her but don't admit it.
He think being rational and not check Peneloppe story too but unstead of father who recognise his misbehavior he did not.
He have some feeling for her and he is quite possesive, he didn't support her but don't want her to go out either, a real pain in the neck

Pink Bro : He have a reason to hate her and once this is resolve he is quite nice, still tease her

Dex-chan lover
I despise her family. They neglect and abuse her for so long after a false accusation, never listened to her, assumed she was in the wrong no matter what, and she barely dodges so many chances they would've killed her. Now after she threw away all pride and licked their boots a bit to get by they suddenly like her like normal family? And they just can't possibly comprehend why she acts the way she does towards them? Why she's distant? Why it wouldn't cross her mind to waste their time, probably angering them, telling them something pertaining to the well-being of someone she thinks they despise? Why she expects to get thrown out the door as soon as she's an adult?

The girl was cursed to begin with, the old Penelope was hated because of that curse, and her family actually do it quite well to hold themselves back not giving into impulse and kill her outright.

Even without knowledge of that, you can see that the father and brothers in this life have a strange "like her more the less they in close contact with her", they get angry easily when she is hurt, but face to face they just have this weird "i hate you" problem. And Penelope direct comment on this many times, like many time the favor rate increase after not seeing her, they give her so much benefit (saying that she IS Ekart, give her money, try to cover for her), but strangely treat her coldly (treat her not as family, ignore her, get angry for random reason)

@Swift It's kinda so ridiculous I just say it's a story. Realistically, I don't think they would change their opinions of her so quickly. I don't get why people would be upset at the family. It's just so ... I almost say non-sensical. I think the author wanted to play the "subverted expectations" card along with the "her family like the new girl better card" and the combination doesn't really make sense per se.

@Kingdo I think that that's the truth. I just want to see more from their side. Penelope is kinda paranoid and calculating. She sees everything through a distorted lens. At least I think it's distorted if she cannot fathom why they would like her. Idk. I feel like it's bad writing to just have that her family suddenly like her and leave it to the audience to extract why from the situation. Hopefully we'll see it from their sides and it'll make sense. Also I hope she forgives her brothers soon. This entitled victim mentality is just...terribly disagreeable in my opinion.

yess keep iklies around he seems to be the only guy who cares for her to some extent and didnt mistreat her

Iklies will probably betray her in the worst way possible. He's iffy to me. The yandere personality type is never my thing.

@RubyG8396
Also I hope she forgives her brothers soon. This entitled victim mentality is just...terribly disagreeable in my opinion.
Are you serious? Please tell me you aren't serious. She is a victim. They freaking neglected and abused her, and stood by while others abused her.
Hopefully we'll see it from their sides and it'll make sense.
There is absolutely no good reason why they would allow this. No one deserves to be abused no matter what their behavior is like.
She doesn't owe them shit.

Double-page supporter
They seem to care about her but at the same time they dont?
I mean their favorability is not 100% even tho they are family.

Dex-chan lover
honestly im a bit worried that the author is gonna do something sudden and reveal "oh the brothers and father were totally justified in abusing penelope" whether it's because of a curse or whatnot. abuse is abuse, regardless of the intentions or justifications behind it (not that abuse is ever justified!). penelope has every right to be wary of these guys, even when they are displaying visible concern for her safety. it's not a victim complex.... just go back and read all the ridiculous ways OG penelope can die (in the game) at the hands of her family and you'll realize 🤧

i just want to see penelope play these guys like a fiddle yo 💀

Fed-Kun's army
Domestic abuse should never be tolerated, and Penelope is right to hold that against her family and servants. But there's something odd about how this is developing in the story.

A lot of the reason to hate the Eckhart household comes from before and immediately during the time when Penelope enters the story. Once those issues resolve by around chapter 10, she's been met with nothing but sincere care for her well-being up until now. Yes, abuse exists in a cycle of good treatment and bad treatment, but it's weird to see such a drastic heel-turn and then literally never turn back to being abusive for such a long period of time. Even her maid, who previously fed Penelope spoiled food and stabbed her with a needle in her sleep, seems to have conveniently forgotten the impact of her transgressions with the behavior she exhibits now. All of it feels unnatural.

This is then exacerbated by Penelope's innate disgust towards and avoidance of meaningful social connections. Her newfound individualism strengthens her against poor treatment, but it also blinds her from recognizing good treatment, even if it's sincere. She's so distrustful that she thinks it's a better idea to latch onto a slave that is literally incapable of treating her poorly rather than reconcile with (but not forgive) her family who has been trying awkwardly to meet her halfway. In fact, she won't even directly confront them on the issue because she's so convinced that they'll never listen to her, even though they've been clearly attempting to do so for some time now, so there's this nasty layer of miscommunication making things even more difficult for her than it should be.

I think she's still in the right to push everyone away from her. There's no forgiving the mental and physical abuse directed towards her for her entire childhood. I just hope that at some point she recognizes a good opportunity to let people into her life again, because some of the misery she's feeling right now is unwarranted.

Users who are viewing this thread