Vinland Saga

don't like the author abusing too much time skip plot device to move the plot leaving out any potential new character developments which is kinda unfair tbh.

"Man, the pacing is really dragging along, the Baltic War arc, which highlighted the massive character development of the main character by juxtaposing him with what he used to be and what he could've become, took way too long! The author is a hack!"

"Man, the author timeskipped a portion of the trip, which would've been nothing but filler and logically had zero stakes since failure would mean the end of the story, for the sake of improving the pacing! What a hack!"

Double-page supporter
i feel so sorry for anyone who was into this in the beginning and had to watch for years as this slowly became worse and worse

Not even sure who the author is trying to appeal to with these chapters but the pacing is a giant fucking mess because of it

Contributor
Why is everyone bitching about the pacifist MC actually putting his money where his mouth is and finding a way of life that doesn't involve violence? You want fighting for the sake of fighting, read Baki the Grappler. I do! That sort of manga can be tons of its own particular kind of fun. But this is just not that kind of manga, and while it may visit the land of spectacular, blood-and-guts cinematic violence, it's made a great point of telling you that its real heart and soul lies elsewhere..

And I'll be a monkey's uncle if something doesn't happen in Vinland/on the way there to once again test Thorfinn's convictions and provide some high action...but after the bloodsoaked Baltic Sea War, toning things down and slowing the pace was both a pacing and characterization necessity.

Why is everyone bitching about the pacifist MC actually putting his money where his mouth is and finding a way of life that doesn't involve violence? You want fighting for the sake of fighting, read Baki the Grappler. I do! That sort of manga can be tons of its own particular kind of fun. But this is just not that kind of manga, and while it may visit the land of spectacular, blood-and-guts cinematic violence, it's made a great point of telling you that its real heart and soul lies elsewhere..

And I'll be a monkey's uncle if something doesn't happen in Vinland/on the way there to once again test Thorfinn's convictions and provide some high action...but after the bloodsoaked Baltic Sea War, toning things down and slowing the pace was both a pacing and characterization necessity.

Last edited 1 hr ago by ooogooman.

Totally agree with you. This whole manga is about a journey to a better life, about it's wild nature of human violence and understanding how to tame it. And in search of a betterment of it's living culture by going to Vinland to start a new life. Sad a lot of people here wants to see more action, which contradicts what the author trying to tell here

Aggregator gang
I really love Thorfinn's evolution. I'm more excited about his journey to Vinland and how they'll manage to live in there than to bloody battles I could already get in other manga.

Well, i think that some indian tribe will kill them all since the vikings are disarmed 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nothing like a character being proved he's irrefutably wrong and he admits it but nothing happens. Bad writing, I'm not sure what happened to drive the manga so far down.

It's so weird when you consider that Thors, Thorfinn's father and absolute role model, actually owned a weapon and made a much more powerful point about being strong enough to never need it. This whole "all weapons bad!" characterization of Thorfinn feels like the author is taking his pacifism to idiotic extremes without giving it much thought, Hild also needs to develop a personality ASAP.

@knightoforder17 I think you misunderstood Thors.

The only reason I must rely on this sword... is because I am imperfect. A true warrior needs no sword.

Ari muses that he might mean that he can kill a man with just his bare fists. He's wrong though. Thors is not saying a true warrior is so strong they can win with just their fists. If you look at an earlier conversation with him and Thorfinn he makes the point clearer.

No one... has any enemies. There is no one... that you should hurt.

Thors is advocating total pacifism. Even as his son's life is threatened he is imperfect for relying on hurting others to save him. Even if you think this ideology is incredibly flawed that is what Thors taught Thorfinn from the start. I don't think this is the author talking through his characters. The fact that Thorfinn has no answer and has to admit that the logic presented against him is sound shows that this is not being presented as a moral truth. This is the ideology Thorfinn holds, as his father instilled it into him. Even as its flaws are presented he holds to it firmly.

@King_Rendal
True pacifism gets you killed 100% of the time when you're up against true malevolence. True malevolence meaning human beings throughout history. Pacifism also fails in nature when a bear, wolf, tiger, or angry moose decides they want to kill you. It's dumb and immature. People DO have enemies and there ARE people you should hurt. In fact, Thors' ideology was proven wrong by him getting killed.

@Glowworm
What you've said is correct. I have no intention of attempting to defend absolute pacifism in general. What I would defend is the writing of this story and the reasoning that Thors and Thorfinn have for following this ideology. I don't think the ideology of Thors is one that the author is trying to promote or show to be morally correct. If anything the writing attempts to highlight the many flaws in this ideology. Time and time again Thorfinn and those around him suffer because of his determination to not use violence. Even most recently Thorfinn couldn't argue against the logic of requiring weapons. He could only insist that they not even though it would put them at risk. The ideology does make sense on an individual level for Thorfinn and Thors. They consider themselves irredeemable murderers that don't have the right to self-preservation. Where it goes wrong is in moral responsibility to others and I think the author has done and likely will continue to challenge pacifism through this idea.

Dex-chan lover
I gotta say I am not really interested in Vinland anymore I am good with the whole going for peace and shit but it shouldnt be so long

Users who are viewing this thread