Vinland Saga

@xyzzy @vanrald08 One person baby raged and then 2 people (including me) called them out on it. there is a setting to enable viewing moderated comments though if you're interested but imo that censorship is a bit extra considering how low level of an argument it was

Fed-Kun's army
Did this series really go down hill as much as people are saying it did? Haven't kept up with it forever and don't fell like digging through this mess of a comment section

Feels like tons of series are really dropping that ball this past year or so. Best example I can think of is Beastars. The last arc was so bad that Paru and her editors axed the series.

@maisonaustyn I think it's more of a case of reallly slow pace. We're currently getting a chapter every one or two months, but one chapter only has a page count of a weekly chapter (~20 pages). After binging the massive high that was the first arc, and the deep second arc, and the.. fun third arc?, I think some of us, eg me, feel frustrated at the pace. I want to just forget about it and come back when everything is completed but I'll probably come back in a few months, and I won't even get 100 new pages.

I don't get why people say the series has gone downhill. Yes there is a massive tonal shift after the prologue arc, and the current arc has also seen a shift after the Baltic Sea War arc, but those shifts have also been occurring in parallel to Thorfinn's evolution as a character. The series still has the same heart, and great writing.
Vinland Saga has firmly kept its place as my 2nd favourite manga ever since I first read the prologue arc all those years ago.

Double-page supporter
Thats cross over chapter tho...
Does this mean that AC and vinland saga are connected in some way?

Probably not, but i still like to speculate.

@Zarxen it has lost the historical accuracy. So many senseless things, especially for the set time period. For example, that angry girl with crossbows, or that ex-slave man pretending to be a woman (whatever are their names). The Baltic sea war arc was super dumb too. Especially with those guys hiding in barrels. What is this, a 7-year old child cartoon?
Before all this crap, the only historical inaccuracy was Thorfinn riding a horse into flames and leaving it to burn. A well-trained war horse that would obey his rider and actually go into flames was worth a FORTUNE and they were picking up loot, such as gold crowns and shiny swords as something valuable. That horse would outvalue most of that stuff, yet they use it so exependably? Rubbish. But that's the ONLY rubbish in the first arc.

@Herr_Kommandant I've never read this series with the expectations of it maintaining historical accuracy, frankly I never expect fiction to be historically accurate or even remotely realistic (Thorkell's many absurd feats of strength in the prologue arc alone, along with dual-knife-wielding child soldier Thorfinn, killed any potential sense of realism from the get go). For me Vinland Saga has always been a character-driven narrative, experiencing Thorfinn's growth as a character over the years, alongside the stories of other cast members is where I find much of the enjoyment.

You may not like Hild (crossbow woman), but to me she's a crucial character, since she is Thorfinn's own monster, much as Thorfinn was Askeladd's. Also, Cordelia (the slave originally introduced as Halvor) isn't a man pretending to be a woman, she was born a man, but raised as a woman to protect herself from her father (likely Thorkell from the backstory we were given), and grew to identify herself as a woman (in other words, she is trans).
Sigurd and co hiding in barrels is also pretty fitting given how Sigurd was largely treated as a gag character, yes he has a proper character arc, but most of his screentime was spent on gags, so him finding a stupid but in-universe effective means of staying safe was completely in-line with his portrayal.

It definitely seems like your expectations were far different from what you received, but I would never claim that this series got any less historically accurate, since its historical setting was mostly used to insert famous cameos and ground the story's narrative in order to cut down on exposition.

Group Leader
arghh, why has the plot gone this way T_T ever since the start of the pacifist arc, it's been 8 parts entertaining with 2 parts aggravating. I can't help but feel that all the contrivances to test that person's pacifism has been strangely clumsy

@Zarxen As to why I feel like it's gone downhill, I can't quite put a finger on it but i'd say it feels too maudlin? If I were to rank the opening arcs as 4.5/5 the following arc feels like a 4/5. There's just something that I can't explain that leaves me feeling annoyed after finishing some of the chapters up until the baltic sea war arc. Especially with that idiot spear wielder tossed into the mix.
I agree that this is is more a fantasy adventure tale that was woven using history as a starting point. Funnily enough, the anachronism that stuck out for me is that a circular saw was shown in a lumber mill in one of the early scenes with Hild, a full eight centuries before that particular type of mill was invented

Fook, stop reading after idiot woman Gudrid has been introduced. Unfortunately seems she is one of main characters, I can't stand it anymore, it is so lame. This manga went from gold to shit. I drop it, thank you Askeladd, Leif, Canute, you are lovable character. Thorfinn, you become an idiot person after met that Gudrid woman.

I do not understand what is with these people... I expected for a lot of these twats to appear after the anime aired, but not this much.

Genuinely concerned about what they think VS is. It is a character-driven narrative, of course everyone has a taste and I guess people are edgy as hell for not even allowing a character to be pacifistic for once. But people will keep bitching either way, so it is whatever. Just be happy that VS is original enough to try new things and shift tones and structures unlike some clusterfuck modern Seinen manga.

Fed-Kun's army
When a series needs people writing paragraph after paragraph to defend each dumb story decision then things have changed for the worse. I personally actually still enjoyed the series up to the Sailing West part. Now it feels like every chapter is grating to read.

You can come at me with all the dumb arguments to defend this like the couple comments below me but it's pointless. The story writing and development quality and care is just not where it used to be. It could get better but I personally don't see the author being able to crawful out of this setup.

Its not because everyone is hating thorfinn for being pacifist, its because hes so unbearably naive

idk what to rate this, before they sailed west 10/10, but ever since... it is just ok? I mean pacifism is great and all, but there is kinda of problem when it is too pacifistic, 7/10 after sailing west

I think many people are missing the point of this manga. The main goal of this manga was always to go to Vinland, or the Americas. You could say that the first part of the manga was a long prologue to the actual story, where Thorfinn doesn't solve things through violence, but through talk-no-jutsu (unironically). I'm actually really enjoying where the story is going right now.

A bit of background knowledge too. Thorfinn (the actual person) wasn't really known as a warrior. He knew how to fight, as he was a viking, but he was mostly a trader who journeyed to Vinland. He led an expedition along with his wife, Gudrid with around a hundred people and made landfall at Vinland.

I understand that this manga doesn't fit a lot of people tastes, who wanted to see epic fight scenes and badass skills. Maybe you should look at this manga a different way, instead of thinking that the story changed, think that it was always meant to be this way. Maybe that'll make it a lot more enjoyable. Anyways, cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread