Vinland Saga

@thereisanother
The first 70 or so chapters of this manga weren't praised for fight-scenes and gore alone. Character-writing, attention to detail, author doing the proper research, frequent allusions and references to history, good art, very good pacing, humour that actually fit the story.

Somewhere, at some point, writing became simplified. Manga skipped over a lot of interesting chapters, scenes, characters in favor of banal, formulaic, and still lacking detail ones. Then it became worse. And worse. Einar and Thorfinn's relationship and interactions post-farm — extremely few very short ones. Gudridd's development is fast, rapid even, and then time-skip happens and suddenly marriage. Thorfinn's character turned into flat Kenshin-clone (unlike Kenshin himself, who was written as a comparatively rounded character), the woman with the crossbow what's-her-name could just as well have been dropped from the group entirely. Throfinn has enough reminders of his sins — getting another one, that constantly stalks after him, staring at the back of his head all the time, is not believable in or out of story. Garm — how the fuck he got in this manga? Shonen is where he belongs. Sigurd, how he was inserted in the story, his wacky hijinks was a very a constant very awkward mood whiplash after a mood whiplash. At least his final confrontation with Gudrid if it can be called that, was decent. But short. Author might have expanded on that, but didn't. Too hard to write something more in-depth there? Confrontation with Halfdan was also well done. Serious and *slightly* humorous. Just like this series used to be. But also too short.

I could write a chapter by chapter breakdown of every gripe I have with this series, but English is not my first language and it's difficult for me to get across what I mean accurately.
So
TL;DR The problem is not in the change of direction after prologue, but in a lackluster, lazy, rushed execution.

I think that all this naivety from Thorfinn at the moment is destined to break, not involving his friends, but families, many lives at stake, if the goal of the Baltic Sea is challenge all his pacifism, this last arc will to challenge ideas of a utopia, like deconstructing his character, can he ever lose his mind to the point of not holding back? Showing that your ideology can be broken and difficult to follow faithfully? If it happens can add even more depth to the plot.

Dex-chan lover
Just drop the fucking manga if you don't like the direction it's going in you losers. If you haven't figured it out by approximately 150 chapters ago, Thorfinn is a pacifist and his goal is to bring people to Vinland where everyone is treated equally regardless of status, which is of course a very not-progressive goal to have, surely. If you're upset about "progressive messaging" then you should have dropped this manga a few chapters in once Thors opened his mouth the first time.

The author does not understand the fundamental worldview of germanic people at the time, Not a single person alive at that time would have been a pacifist, pacifism is an inherently new age ideology, and Canutes whole plan of spiting god by making a
utopia on earth is beyond idiotic. This series could have been so much better if the author didn't butt in with his new age cancer.

The following contains minor spoilers:

Stellar work, and an overall good read. Unfortunately, there is much to be sought after in the later parts, (currently Ch. 177), but the tonal shift is not surprising nor out place.

Many in this community likely have an intense distaste for the pacifist shift. They claim that the pacifism itself is not accurate, lazy, unnecessary, etc. And some of this is true. Some of the writing is blander in comparison to the earlier times. However, these "fans" are nothing more than dissatisfied critics, as many fans of anything often are. Their critiques are neither compelling, nor spur any sort of meaningful results. It is the same for the holy defenders of Vinland Saga, merely taking the defensive stance for the sake of the defensive.

Critics are quick to dismiss. That is their job, so to speak. Likewise, others should dismiss them as easily as they dismiss the things they allegedly understand the most.
Edit: added "minor" to the top

Lol. All the right losers in the comments seething with rage that the author actually tries to write coherent characters (though there are some legitimate critiques sprinkled in between the trash comments). Some of you reactionary clowns seem to honestly believe that pacifist ideals were somehow invented in the 60s.

@nrexplain I 'm not sure how any of this has anything to do with trans people, I think you might have replied to the wrong person in the wrong comment section.

@WhyThatLogIn That's because they were, literally no one thought like this back then, the only people who would have thought like this would maybe have been monks literally too far from the rest of any form of civilization and even that's a stretch. Pacifism is literally the most braindead ideology that has ever sprung from human minds and I look forward to the day it finally dies.

@Scandy I don't have to make a compelling argument to call you a hollowbrained moron, thankfully you've made my point all to clear, the tone of your writing makes it all too clear that you are a fanboy, the most repugnant kind of consoomer. You're like a blinded puppy.

cool gamer shit but you gotta know some basic norse history to understand where the hell they are

@OldFudge if you care so much about historical accuracy, go read a history book. This is a work of fiction so your argument about germanic people doesn't even make sense.

@OldFudge I mean cordelia being awful and transphobic transgender representation, and also their accepting reactions to cordelia are not historically accurate either

Users who are viewing this thread