Wakeari Madoushi wa Shizuka ni Kurashitai - Vol. 1 Ch. 2

From what I understand the girls don't even try doing magic because them not being able to is ingrained into them since birth, the protagonist only discovered it because she tried copying her cousin who knew how

Her parents reaction helps understand a little more on why the other women who might as well be able to do it don't try or if they did they repress it

Dex-chan lover
... wait. WAIT. I wanna know more about this magic boosting thing that is partners and couples. It's obviously common enough that it's common knowledge to the bureau, but rare enough and effective enough that when it happens the government is justified in legally binding them together for life?

Also, it feels weird that it can be of the opposite gender if women TRULY had NO magic power. it doesn't feel "Fishy", just weird.

@PotatoZero If they have to live with each other and Eco has no say in it... I'd say this is probably a rule/law made for the same reason as banning the export of books about magic.

@elthy
her name in JP is エーコ with the emphasis on longer E with plain KO, so it's actually closer to "Eiko" as in FF IX character Eiko Carol. than to echo.
if it's meant to be Echo, then it'll usually written with エコー, with plain E and "longer/variable ko", for example エコー検査 (ECHOkensa) which means ultrasound scan or more literal meaning Echographic Examination (検査/kensa = inspection/examination).
Though, echo could also written with エーコー too as in Greek mythology's Echo, though on that page it's also mentioned that it's usually written with just エコー, not エーコ.

well, bottom line is unless the author give the the exact romanization, either way is fine I guess...

Aggregator gang
@pikokola But keep in mind that her name is written in katakana rather than hiragana, so it makes a lot of sense that the translators would try to equate the sounds to a well known foreign word like echo or eco (pronounced ee-ko , like the beginning of 'economy' or 'ecology')

Fed-Kun's army
>first chapter: girls can't be mages
>second chapter: mages have different names fo pairing if the genders are different
OK
dropped
i know its a shojo romance but a little consistancy please

Double-page supporter
@neorasp I'm guessing a girl can amplify a guy's magic even though she can't cast any spells of her own.

Dex-chan lover
I'm waiting for they to reveal something like "the only woman who can use magic is the saintess/demon lord"

Man and man goes with buddy
Man and woman goes with couple

Woman magic user is exist?

"no homo" lol
but woman??? either that effect can be with a nonmagic person or.... author borked.

@Animaeline
The notion that "katakana has to be romanized into foreign word" is an oversimplification, foreign word could be used for guide to romanize those katakana written word but it's just a guide, moreover on naming.
We don't have to look far for this as even this series author is using katakana for his Japanesse name, and it didn't romanized as "You" (at least when I write this, who knows what happened later).
also, the katakana form for economy is エコノミー, ecology is エコロジー

I'm not saying that using Eco is wrong per se, there's even a formal usage of エーコ for Eco in Umberto Eco. I was saying that pronunciation wise in my opinion it's closer to Eiko (eh-ee-ko) than Echo (ee-kow).
If it's meant for Echo then it should be written with エコーas that's how most katakana form for Echo is, エコー not エーコ. Even the entry for greek mythology's Echo in japanesse wikipedia which is エーコー have a clear notice on it's first line that her name usually written with エコー.
However, using echo for her name is not wrong either, for example to emphasize that she could strengthen magic by "echoing" it - if that's how her ability is. I found it's strange, but if that's how it is, then that's how it is.

If we're going to dwell on this romanization conundrum, there's no end of it except ask the author to give official romanization. Even on name which is clearly come from western loan word could be officially written not in it's actual word. Take what happened on Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet, you could shout that it should be Romeo as that's how everyone around the world spell romeo name, but the author explicitly write it with Romio. At that point whether the romanization is strange, you think it's wrong, it sounds not for the right gender, or whatever else whoever wants to complain about, there's nothing you could do about that unless changing the author's mind.

@Rover
it's mentioned that it's rare for buddies to have the same job, so maybe usually"buddy" or "couple" are magic user from the bureau and non-magic user from outside the bureau.
It's also mentioned that for buddy which both works for the minsitry, they'll always be paired with the buddy system (since it's rare for magic-magic buddy(?)).
a magic-non magic "couple" also in line with the first couple(?) male mage and female non-mage from the world creation lore.
or it's simply a plothole.

Dex-chan lover
but woman??? either that effect can be with a nonmagic person or.... author borked.
I'd say the ability for normally non-magic using women to be capable of boosting the power of male magic users in this partner/couple thing is probably important, actually. It might be related to why Eco can use magic at all despite what this world's history tells its people. Perhaps both genders were able to use magic in roughly equal amounts in the past, but over time something happened that made women less frequently capable of it. This could perhaps allow for them to still be boosters for the men, even if they've lost the ability to use magic themselves for the most part. Eco might be a case of atavism or something.

But yes, as Rover said it's kind of early days for any amount of speculation. We've got like 2% of the puzzle pieces here.

SHIPPP dunno if it will sail because there's no romance tag in here

Dex-chan lover
@Glomoro
It would actually makes a lot of sense if the woman, while not being able to use magic, were to boost the pwoer of the man magic as it would create a simbiotic relationship and help the man defend the woman with magic against more drastic situations.

It would also make sense from an evolutive stand point.

Users who are viewing this thread