WataMote: No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! - Ch. 222 - Since I'm Not Popular, It's a Live Concert (Part 1)

Dex-chan lover
I hope the brother goes back to being a background character soon. He's so fucking boring.
Year 2 Watamote will be Tomoki, so brace yourself.

Watamote is certified to be a running gag that will last for 35 years.

Group Leader
Honestly I don't mind the bro, he seems cool and adds a bit of a refreshing feeling after a lot of chapters of just Tomoko. That said it is dragging on a bit, but I'm personally hoping the author takes this chance to give us a funny chapter similar to this one where Tomoko comes along like so many others have so far and sees this, completely flubs everything for everyone, and the mangaka refocuses on her again. Something like the "Tomoko hates how much Yoshida/her friends want to hang out with her brother" gag can be played occasionally for laughs but shouldn't really go on so long like it has, space it out a bit more.

Double-page supporter
I hope the brother goes back to being a background character soon. He's so fucking boring.
I think he is more an accesory to give more time to shine to other characters and perhaps there it will be development to give tomoko more material afterwards but still i wish to see more of tomoko instead!

Dex-chan lover
I think he is more an accesory to give more time to shine to other characters and perhaps there it will be development to give tomoko more material afterwards but still i wish to see more of tomoko instead!
kaki and mike will now shine.

I think Mike has POISON TOUCH, since that Takoyaki is surely bought from the store.

The Tomoki harem gag was kind of boring from the very start, never saw the charm of it, now it's getting kind of tedious.
I see Tanigawa keeps on testing the waters with girl Wada. I like Wada, but don't see how crossdresing Wada could intersect with Tomoko.

Dex-chan lover
To be fair, we've had like 8 years of yuri teasing going on and we have multiple gay characters. Over that time, the extra bits have leaned heavily into the gay stuff (there was literally one of best pairings and they were almost all lesbian iirc), and in general the "fandom" has been more yuri leaning. Hell, the group doing the TLing is literally /u/scanlations.

Now, do I think it's le epic betrayal or anything like that? No, not really. I guess I can understand why people feel that way, but I think it's very silly in general. That said, I do think that in the past year or so, it has got less funny and engaging. I feel like things are much less focused right now and that's to the detriment of the series. There have always been side characters and their separate arcs, but much of these existed in terms of their connection to Tomoko. As the manga has branched out, I feel that lack of focus has made it feel less cohesive and less consistently funny.

That's just my opinion though, maybe I'm totally misreading everything.
8 years that got nowhere.

Multiple gay characters? The only characters confirmed lgbt at all are Tomoko, who's clearly bisexual, and Emoji, who's always treated as a punchline, everyone else is open to interpretation.

Fandom being yuri leaning is meaningless since that don't stop many works of being bait that goes nowhere or even outright end in het.
And the group translating it is also meaningless.

Problem isn't simply that last year has been dragging Tomoki and the festival plot lines, but that in this time all plot related to him have been unquestionably romantic, even if he has no interest in any of the girls.
Literally 4 girls wanting to get into his pants, with Yoshida and Sachi maaaaaybe actually getting somewhere in the long run.
Sure it's obviously played for comedy, but it's still more or less straight up using harem plot we see in het romance manga unironically.

Meanwhile none of the yuri subtext was taken seriously, Tomoki had more actual romantic progress in 1 year than Tomoko had in fucking 8 years.
And as a bonus we are basically canonically losing Mako x Yoshida pairing, which was also always treated as a joke.
Seriously, makes it feel like all the yuri teasing so far was nothing but bait.

You might not want to see things too much in a negative light, but I know better than to trust or have expectations from non yuri authors.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The Tomoki harem gag was kind of boring from the very start, never saw the charm of it, now it's getting kind of tedious.
I see Tanigawa keeps on testing the waters with girl Wada. I like Wada, but don't see how crossdresing Wada could intersect with Tomoko.
Wada could perpendicularly insert with Tomoki though. Given the vertical split.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the translation.

Are all of you actually fucking malding because of the Tomoki Harem subplot, which was set up like 40 or 50 chapters ago, is going trough the set up, instead of focusing on me precious yuri girlfriends
That seems to the case. I still very much enjoy this far with this focus on Tomoki. I can admit that Tanigawa could stand to start to wrap this arc up (if that isn't already happening now); but where as people see the focus away from Tomoko to Tomoki as exhausting I see it as refreshing (I wouldn't even mind Tomoki and Yoshida together, much to the chagrin of Mako supporters. Although that doesn't mean I'm opposed to Mako and Yoshida either).

I like yuri, moreso then het to be honest, but I can't bring myself to be angry or upset over the way things are going. Seeing them all get along is always enough for me (the yuri, whether it be bait or not, was just a bonus).

Users who are viewing this thread