Watashi no Kanojo wa Otokonoko

Much as genderqueers and trenders tend to just give me a headache, both characters suffering was dealt with pretty decently. A cute thing. At this stage in physical development they may not have concrete ideas about medical transition, though with that rationality id think the gropeing bit at the end was a bit much.

Double-page supporter
Could have been executed far better, but overall it was good. As someone else mentioned in the comments, could have been worse.

As for the potential message that may have been presented, my thoughts on the matter is: people should mind their own business. If someone wants to dress a certain way, act a certain way, speak a certain way, then so be it. So long as they aren't doing harm to themselves or others then honestly anything goes. The problem lies with other people who are so entitled(or emotional) that they find the need to go out of their way to criticize someone who is different than the norm, and unfortunately the majority of humanity is like that. I suppose it's in our nature to instinctively judge other people to determine whether or not that person is a threat or a boon to our lives, but that mentality tends to get way out of hand when it involves people who don't know better or people who are unwilling to try to understand.

In regards to Miki, it was simply her jealousy that prompted her to attack Yuuko. Given that she is(or rather was) friends with Makoto while somewhat aware of Makoto's circumstances, and Makoto's circle of friends seem to at least be aware of and accepting of Makoto(to what extent I'm unsure), then that means Miki wasn't all that ignorant or unwilling to try to understand, she simply didn't like Yuuko. She definitely didn't have a complete understanding, but her dislike of Yuuko made it impossible for her to want to understand. Of course, using Yuuko's circumstances against Yuuko was clearly a bad decision as it was clearly hurting Makoto, but Miki either wasn't thinking clearly due to her emotions or was still willing to take the risk in an attempt to break them up through indirect means. She should have seen the potential outcome from a mile away should her actions backfire, so she knew what she was getting herself into. She dug her own grave.

As for the other two, Makoto definitely should have been more firm with their words sooner. I understand that it isn't easy to explain things when it will end up unraveling the status-quo and risk destroying what friendship one has, but Makoto needed to stop being hesitant and stand up for Yuuko while also properly explaining things, or at least try to explain. As for Yuuko, while lashing out at someone for being ignorant is far from good, Yuuko likely had already been dealing with shit and their emotions got the better of them. What they said wasn't wrong, but how they went about saying things could have been better. Miki definitely wasn't making it easy.

Overall, they all had problems and all of them went about doing things poorly, some more so than others.

Edit: Would be nice if some time in the future Miki can reconcile with Makoto and can move on from her jealousy. Even if she is still in love with Makoto at that time, would be a good story where she eventually finds someone else whom she can love just as much while still being friends with Makoto. Even better if it's someone that is similar to either Makoto or Yuuko and Miki can become a better person as a result. That is, if the story is executed well enough.

Edit 2: On another note, the "I have an illness called transgender" part pissed me off. I don't blame the author as I'm sure it was intended to be an infuriating scene, but it seems all too easy to assume something like that actually has happened and probably will happen again to someone in the world. Funny how I was talking about intolerance, yet I want to kick that fucking teacher off a bridge cause I'm intolerant of how much of a bigot he was. I'm intolerant of intolerance...would that be considered an oxymoron?

Aggregator gang
While I agree some of the plot was a bit convoluted and the themes were a bit ham-handed presented, I liked the characters and their issues well enough (they felt like realistic high school students with some variety of queer angst) and the flashback in particular to Makoto's coming out and the emotional issues that emerged because of it were the strongest part of the story (contrast that with the whole romantic triangle stuff with Miki which was pretty damn weak and one-dimensional to make the revelation really have a good impact).

While I hope the author continues to improve their storytelling skills, I'm glad to see more narratively focused series around queer issues that don't easily slot into established genres (Probably the other currently running series I can compare this to is Kanojo ni Naritai Kimi to Boku which I think does a better job in telling its story, though there's more room to breathe in a series).

Dex-chan lover
62 comments on an lgbt+ manga....you know it's gonna be full of pseudo-philosophers in here, "debating" about sexuality and gender

Dex-chan lover
AAAAAAAAAAAAA ACTUAL GOOD NON BINARY REPRESENTATION HOW HAVE I NOT FOUND THIS UNTIL NOW 💛🤍💜🖤

The storytelling was a bit rough, but simply having an accurate portrayal of a bigender character and an agender character that aren't just the archetypical androgenous non-binary characters

Also, the two leads have 2 genders between them (since one has 2 genders and the other has none), so they're BASICALLY a straight couple, right? 😉😂

Users who are viewing this thread