Watashi o Tabetai, Hitodenashi - Ch. 42 - The End of Summer

Dex-chan lover
So basically, Shiori wants Hinako to be happy. Hinako yearns for death. To kill 2 birds with one stone, Shiori tells Hinako she will eat her once she's happy. So Hinako will try to be happy in order to die.

So complicated man :wtf:

Double-page supporter
So basically, Shiori wants Hinako to be happy. Hinako yearns for death. To kill 2 birds with one stone, Shiori tells Hinako she will eat her once she's happy. So Hinako will try to be happy in order to die.

So complicated man :wtf:
and at the same time Hinako also aware she has hurted the mermaid woman, idk if Hinako all this time has been playing fake happy face to convience Shiori that she's happy and can eat her to end her suffering and maybe Shiori also know that all this time that Hinako has been putting an act to convience her that she's happy. like as far as I remember Hinako hasn't smile genuinenly, like a smile after someone forgiving and moving on from their past while here Hinako smile, laugh, but still trapped with her past. well this is just my opinion

Fed-Kun's army
Hinako saying 'There is a promise I must change' on page 19 is very interesting to me, is she regretting the pledge just because of what it'll do to Shiori should her wish be fulfilled? She recognises her wish to be with her family cannot be changed but hopefully this could be the start of learning to live  with the grief instead of giving her life away

Edit: Looking at the panel that's cut off it's definitely Hinako saying 'I have hurt her' (Shiori) but cutting herself off by inviting Shiori to the festival, trying to distract herself from her doubts maybe?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Hinako seems to be changing a little at least, subtly so since I'm not sure the her of the past would have the presence to reflect on the emotions of all those around her especially the way Shiroi is changing. I think Hinako too is realising that Shiroi's growing humanity is a trap for both of them.

Dex-chan lover
You know, there's something I noticed quite a while ago-
The deal they have right now, where Shiori is supposed to kill her the moment she finds true happiness, is pretty much the same as the original Faustian bargain:
When thus I hail the Moment flying:
“Ah, still delay—thou art so fair!”
Then bind me in thy bonds undying,
My final ruin then declare!
Then let the death-bell chime the token.
Then art thou from thy service free!
The clock may stop, the hand be broken,
Then Time be finished unto me!
I'm not sure if this is intentional, but I do quite like it, especially because it's contextually the reverse from Faust, where of course Faust was the one who wanted for himself to achieve happiness, and Mephisto was the one who wanted to end his life.

Dex-chan lover
thank you for the chapter, ah yes the classic ussy paradox.

Users who are viewing this thread