We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 5 Ch. 24 - Hime and the Thief, Part Two

I love how different sensei is on basically every arc—sometimes he's vulnerable and flawed, other times he's almost an omnipotent and kind-hearted god, then just an onlooker to events greater than he is, and this time, he's Old Scratch or the Ghost of Christmas Future coming to judge some bitches (and in a very smugly manner, damn). Really shows how he's human and how his investment/involvement in each student really changes the outcome of his "teachings" more than the student itself.

Also he's hot. I wanna fuck him. I want him to rail me. Horny

neither both of us right or wrong if we do the thing better.... sometime after reading this manga i feel something like watching reality drama.

Dex-chan lover
@Guest6052 @lobsterboy
Thanks for the explanation, it really helps

But yeah, changing the word to "Illusion" makes it 100% easier to understand. Though it is a very extreme perspective of looking at things. In a way, literally everything can be dismissed if you simply didn't agree to that, and in the same token everything can be justified if you agree to it.

"You don't have money? Fuck money, money is a spook, it exist because we choose to believe in the value of the money. Take all you want because possession is a spook. Police? Fuck em, its a spook, they exist because people agree they can capture the guilty. Oh btw, guilt is also a spook. You can only feel guilty for doing things that are evil. And evil itself is a spook."

I can't imagine this view to be widely accepted in anywhere really,or am I wrong?

Dex-chan lover
Ben Shapiro destroyed thot with facts and logic

Oops wrong forum

Fed-Kun's army
I noticed that the last time she stole only one thing, and rather cheap (~150 yen gum) instead of multiple jewelry (300+ yen each), so she wasn't only conflicted and was hesitating at first to steal. Sensei as always did influence quite a bit his student.

Interesting. She's still stealing, not because she thinks it's okay for her to be doing it, but because she still believes in her friend, and doesn't want her friend to be wrong. Despite the fact that she can see where her friend's actions led, she still believes in her, and their friendship. In some ways it's noble, but it's also scary how believing in a person will cause you to believe in their ideas, even when you KNOW, for a FACT, that their ideas are bad ones.

Group Leader
Whenever sensei talks I imagine him with Junichi Suwabe's (VA for Sukuna, Aizawa, Ogata, etc.) voice and it makes him 10x cooler

@Doomroar I don't understand why people have this idea that determinism is the opposite of free will. It isn't. If you're given the exact same choice in the exact same way 15 times and you make the same choice each time, that is free will. You are making a decision with intention, either thinking it through each time or just sticking to your guns.

If you were given those same 15 choices and you made a different choice each time, then your choices are just random, which doesn't seem like free will at all. That's just illogical randomness. There are lots of things that appear random that we don't assign free will to.

Dex-chan lover
@Pasta-san Ok i will explain why people have the idea that determinism is the opposite of free will.

Determinism is the theory that the source of an event, including your choices, are determined (hence the name) by a previously existing cause.

The things making the decision come from your circumstances, it is cause and effect, you are not the one making the choices, is the environment, your upbringing, your experiences, the weather, the policy of the place you are in, the people you have interacted with, the state of your health, the dog poop you step on early that day. Is not you, is the things that happen to you, your past determines your future.

That's what determinism is about, is about figuring out the why someone took a decision, a deterministic explanation runs opposite to the idea of free will because the reasoning follows things that the person can't control, and that instead control the person.

Determinism is not only applied to choices that have already been made, it opens the possibility to make predictions, if you have a complete picture of all the causes that may lead to the outcome of a certain event, then you can determine what the outcome will be.

Thus if you have all the factors that explain how someone behaves, you can predict how that person will act in the future.

It has nothing to do with making the same choice every time, or making a different choice each time, it is about pointing out why you made the choices you made, and what choices you will make.

Why did you made the same choice 15 times in a row? Because x, y, and z factors, because you had that education, you eat that food, you encountered that person, you were of that demographic, etc.
Why did you made a different choice all 15 times? Because x, y, and z factors, because you had that religion, your back hurt, it was raining, you were of that era, etc.
Why will you make those 15 choices in the future whatever they may be? Because x, y, and z factors, because you had that age, your dog died, it was Friday, you are from that city, etc.

It is a model to explain things, you find the cause behind that led to the choice, it seeks to map a chain reaction by revising all the spheres that influence a person to make a choice.

Why did you thought things through? Because x, y, and z factors led to you thinking things through.
Why did you stuck to your guns? Because x, y, and z factors led to you sticking to your guns.

Under determinism, an intention is just a result, a effect and not a cause, people don't behave randomly their actions are the result of a series of causes, and free will is an illusion.

Dex-chan lover
If you miss her so much just go visit her at Juvie, as a visitor not as an inmate.

The problem with Kant is obviously tied to his religious background, something that separates him from Hume, since Kant believed in free will he was able to go with the categorical imperative, however free will is an illusion, we are bound to follow the rules and experiences that have been given to us, social and physical determinism get in the way of the idea that someone can just will their own behavior.

The second problem with Kant is that his imperative was unrealistic and impossible to maintain, at one point you will break it, it is great when it comes to trying to solve some moral dilemmas, but horrible at other times, if Nazi's are looking for Jewish family that you are hiding at your house? what should you do? lie to the officers to save the Jewish family? or tell them the truth despite knowing that they would be killed? well lying is a depravity of the soul...
Sensei actually uses a version of that for an exam in a previous chapter! I think you're very much right, I wish this to be addressed some time in later chapters. Thank you very much for your awesome insight.

Dex-chan lover
Instead of crying and making some bad excuses she should learn that how to steal without getting caught cause she got caught way too many times

Users who are viewing this thread