We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 5 Ch. 25 - What I Love

nNqWw7tIB6sU.jpg

I found chapter 25.5 on the korean site

Double-page supporter
This chapter reminded me of my granmama... I so miss her :'(

See you in 2 months ya'll

Dex-chan lover
I feel that this chapter is more about psychiatric treatment for best student in class rather than approaching life problems with philosophy. It's still great tho

Dex-chan lover
Fuck dementia, I really don't want to die that way. To lose all sense of dignity in front of all of your family, you don't even get to die quickly and your family have to bear the burden mentally and financially of taking care of you / keeping you alive until you died, and you won't even remember the face of your own family.

You'll be surrounded by strangers in your death bed. And then you died as a "Bother" or "Annoyance" to some of your family, and when you died, some will even breathe a sigh of relief.

Here's hoping Elon's BMI will be done by the time I'm getting old

Dex-chan lover
Such a good kid. And I liked how at the end of the chapter, Takayanagi wound up taking a backseat to their actual talk, but it was still important that he was the one to lend him an ear.

@musicfreak12 Can't agree more. It's terrifying to think that it's something me and my loved ones may have to go through some day. I honestly feel like dying somewhat young would be preferable compared to slowly decaying while still alive, at least for myself.

Dex-chan lover
@musicfreak12

To lose all sense of dignity

To me, dignity in a situation like this has little to no worth, I believe that as the end gets close, love is the last thing present, until there's nothing left

And then you died as a "Bother" or "Annoyance" to some of your family

Damn bro would you think that way if someone from your family died like that? Not an ounce of compassion?

Dex-chan lover
Damn this chapter started the waterworks for me for sure. It was kind of inspiring too when Takayanagi talks about frustration and dealing with it. To be able to love somebody, let alone his whole family, that much is amazing, Tsuyoshi's a good kid

Fed-Kun's army
This kid is a gold nugget. His parents have no idea how much they're taking for granted here. Amazing chapter.

Dex-chan lover
@lfscruz That may be. But I would much rather keep my dignity on top of the love in the end. And like he said, dementia effectively erases ones capacity to recognize that love in the first place.

I think you're taking what he said there too negatively as well. Emotions aren't exactly black or white. Even in a loving relationship, having to deal with years of hardship caused by something like dementia can take a toll on how you'd view someone, especially when it's likely some of the last memories you'll ever have with them.

He didn't say there wouldn't be any ounce of compassion either, it's just that whatever grief or love they'd feel may also be tinged by thoughts of relief that they no longer have to deal with something that's made them go through so many hardships before. And I wouldn't consider that heartless or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread