We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 8 Ch. 39 - Belief

Thank you for picking up this amazing manga, the very grounded story and per-chapter basis for problem/question that can be lessen/help by the morality/ethic they teach is always my favorite

Contributor
"Religion is primarily not something that should bring people suffering" is such a true line to just casually drop in a side panel. Belief in anything should give you comfort or reassurance, whether it be a doctrine, god, or the lack thereof. If it doesn't, it should be rexamined and options explored. Forced isolation is one of the things that separates cultlike from religious behavior.

Group Leader
Thanks for picking this up, what are those schools, when they were talking about faith? Is it something related to Buddhism?
Just like Christianity has denominations, Buddhism has different sects/schools of thought within it. But compared to other religions, Buddhism has many more of these subgroups, some of which were created in medieval times, and some much more recently, often in 1930s. They have their founders, particular texts they find authoritative, practices they put stress on. For example, Nichiren school (which has sub-schools too) centers around Lotus Sutra and chanting, while Rinzai school of thought (in which Taka-sensei was brought up)(which is one of the two schools of Zen in Japan) values zazen and kōans - which are basically riddles to ponder while you meditate (a famous one is "what is the sound of one hand clapping?"). I could go on, but as I said, there's a lot of these schools... supposedly at least 50 in Japan alone? Religion sure is interesting, isn't it.

Dex-chan lover
Faith.
Does lack of Faith in ones Religion a rare thing or is it just me?,
I haven't attended a gathering for my Religion for years now because of my lack in Faith.

Aggregator gang
Thanks for the translation. I really like this one. If your belief brings you suffering without cause, then maybe you ought to slow down a bit and think about it for a while.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the translation (I'm so glad to see this return. I'm still holding out for an anime adaptation of this. I always say that Seven Arcs (of Arte and Blue Period fame) would be the perfect studio to adapt a manga of this nature).

Fed-Kun's army
Oh fuck yeah, as someone that's read likely a 4 digit amount of manga, this one is easily in my top 5, thank you so much for translating this. If you ever need another helping hand with any part of the process, feel free to message me

Dex-chan lover
I dropped this temporarily in no fault of this manga since this is def a 10, but I'm glad these chapters are episodic which lets me read this recent chapter without any lack of context.

Dex-chan lover
I feel smarter already just reading this chapter..... eventho I have no idea what I just read :/
... Anyone else ??

Thanks for the hard work, as always.

Dex-chan lover
Faith.
Does lack of Faith in ones Religion a rare thing or is it just me?,
I haven't attended a gathering for my Religion for years now because of my lack in Faith.
Not at all rare. Religions often kill true faith because they get twisted and corrupted by humans and their greed. For instance, far too many Christians would be very anti their own Messiah if He turned up today.

Dex-chan lover
my man chouno got all them religious questions but hes already all seeing with that 360 degree vision from his walleyes

Users who are viewing this thread