We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 8 Ch. 39 - Belief

Dex-chan lover
This should be printed on every single religious text in big bold letters. Because people just aren't getting it.
Teacher also says, through a quote, that having faith is like having a lover, both are imperfect and bring comfort and suffering. I guess one can substitute the other lol

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL, this manga is godlike.
The best philosophy classes I had growing up were taught by a Christian theologian who was really good at positioning beliefs and their evolution as humanity advances.
Now that may be partially different from an “Ethics” class, but it’s always such a rich topic that can be approached through so many angles.

Part of me always gets a bit bummed when all anime/manga ever take from religion is the iconography. Still, Eva was pretty cool nonetheless.

There’s that priest battle shounen manga that at least in the beginning seemed to have some good themes regarding faith.
The meat of ethics is that it never changed. The Law of hammurabi is the law of pagans always until Christ Jesus intervened and performed miracles to the Jews ( and a few gentiles ) and exponentially grew after his death and resurrection. At that time ethics scholars separated itself again from the teachings of Christianity and returned to eye for an eye, the Law of hammurabi.

Dex-chan lover
Teacher also says, through a quote, that having faith is like having a lover, both are imperfect and bring comfort and suffering. I guess one can substitute the other lol
It was implying that you either have morals or you have lovers, but never both.

Dex-chan lover
Then religious weddings doesn't make sense, specially those wich put emphasis on love. What do you think?

I wonder if that was the author's intentions with that affirmation. Maybe it's just a coincidence?
Mr. Ethics broke apart, so this implies the author holds that view, and most likely divorced.

Double-page supporter
Really glad that crazy bitch broke up with Chouno. People like her should be given a wide berth.

Double-page supporter
TYSM for translating his, it doesnt go unnoticed or un-appreciated - please keep em coming!

This is one of my favorite mangas, he always helps people that either seek it out or not and intentionally or unintentionally. I wish they had spoken about Hinduism too, but ig Buddhism is an off-shoot

Thanks so much for picking this title up!
This manga is so delightful. The way Takayanagi truly cares for his students to the extent of his capabilities. The way he can be casual.
I hope Furuike gets some attention too.

Users who are viewing this thread