What you need to know about the recent MangaDex data breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Mangadex store previously used emails in their database after it has been changed in the profile settings? I remember changing my email a while back and was wondering if both are being stored.

Good to see the site is back, It got pretty scary for a while.

The only thing I don't get is the why... They caused a service disruption for a day and added work to the staff, but considering Dex doesn't deal with money, they didn't get anything out of it (Except, maybe, some salted passwords that they already had). No matter how I think about it, I keep ending up in <'cause I can>. Some people in Dex's subreddit were theorizing that it was manga aggregators hiring hackers to hinder Dex, as it has skyrocketed in popularity over the last year or so... The only thing that doesn't add up with this now, is that a relatively small disruption of service is bound to not produce a long lasting effect on Dex users, so I can't see how this would make sense to aggregators. Idk, I hope just hope it wasn't someone from the same community...

"GIVE ME MONEY OR I PUBLISH YOUR DATABASE"
No like the fuck is he gonna do with my mangadex account?
Publicize my fetishes? Lmao this clown

Fed-Kun's army
One of these days I'm going to move to Nepal and live as a goat.

Thank you for being transparent and gave us advise with a warning in case the db will be made public.

@Seiign
It's probably not them, but if hacked ip can be used in court, then manga publishers have an interest too.

@StellarIceberg
If he sells the ip of the uploaders to the copyright holders (or publishes them openly), they may get legal problems.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@aoipoppy As far as we know, nothing has been made public yet, so that's highly unlikely.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Chuck your email in there, and you might figure out why.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Genuinely surprised that the DB hasn't gone up somewhere. Here's hoping it was just a bored script kiddie with the attention span of a gnat.

@Dobu
I wasn't questioning your right to your opinion and preemptively trying to play the victim is a very silly look.

I was, however, criticizing your tone. You most certainly come off as entitled and as throwing a tantrum. You can be pissed, but let's try to have some basic common courtesy.

Was data such as DMs not encrypted or is it that the key was acquired?
I hope for v5 such data may be encrypted where possible.

and this is why i use crappy passes and fake mailadresses on unimmportat webpages (nothing personal MD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread